Hefeweizen | Flying Dog Brewery

good
good
Read the review
HefeweizenHefeweizen

Formerly In-Heat Wheat

Added by Todd on 12-22-2001

Ratings: 1,608 |  Reviews: 724

2.06/5  rDev -41.5%

To be fair this is not one of my favorite styles of a beer and Flying Dog is not one of my favorite breweries. I gave it a shot when i found it in the mix pack and was pretty disappointed. Poured a nice cloudy wheat color, looked great in the glass. It initially tasted pretty sweet and then turned to leave a gross taste afterwards. It kinda made me sick. One of the things that come to mind when i think of the taste is an almost metallic flavor. This one is not for me.

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

First introduced to this type of beer when I was stationed in Germany 20 years ago and loved it because it was so different from anything I've ever had. Now that there are a lot of craft breweries it has lost some of it's appeal.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Color is a nice cloudy amber like you would expect from a beer of this type. Nice white head about an inch thick.

Smelled a bit skunky to me. There was no indicator of how old it was but the store I bought it from does a good business so I doubt it was too old.

Tasted like a typical Hefeweizen but it had a tartness to it that I didn't especially like.

I may try another one to make sure I didn't get a bad one but if that one is skunky and tangy, it will be my last.

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

After being poured into a glass this beer appears a translucent gold. There was little head, which dissipated quickly.

The smell is like a spice apple drink.

Its taste is a mix between the spicy apple cider and sparkling apple juice I had in my youth. Which although both were quite tasty, them combined in my beer is not satisfying to my personal taste.

In my mouth it gave a tang, which felt like it was more from the flavor than the caronation. The aftertaste is a bit lack luster, and it leaves my mouth wanting some water.

In-Heat Wheat is not very easy to drink. The taste is very tangy and the aftertaste will bother.

Although I think it is worth a try to taste a unique beer, I personally will not have another one.

2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured into Weissbier glass.

A: This was next to a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier in an identical glass, and there was no comparison to be made. In-Heat had no head to be seen and was several shades lighter, and much less cloudy.

S: Reminiscent of American Adjunct Lager.

T: I gave this beer away to my girlfriend.

M: Solid carbonation, and pretty watery.

D: I could chug these if I wanted to get slammed...it took up almost no space in my stomach.

2.22/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

12oz bottle poured into my new Chimay goblet.

The beer pours cloudy, and is a shade or two darker than gold. There's really no head or lacing to speak of, very disappointing for the style. The lack of a head predictably impacts the nose negatively, as I get a vague distincly wheaty sweetness and just a hint of banana. Honestly, In-Heat Wheat tastes like some sort of macro version of a hefe. The expected banana yeast and almost vanilla wheat flavors are there, but it tastes noticeably watered down. The body is approporiately light, but for a beer with no head/lacing this beer has a very overbearing carbonation, fizzy is probably a good word for it. With a light body and an inoffensive taste it is somewhat quaffable, but it's not tasty enough that I'm excited about having more. Raging Bitch was a solid beer, but In-Heat Wheat is a major letdown. I have a couple more Flying Dog beers on deck for the next few days and I hope they're a bit better than this one.

2.26/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just not my glass of beer. Poured hazy and remained that way. Light amber in color (IBU 12). Some report a good head, mine was very light from the beginning and dissipated down to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. There is a nice lacing that clings to the side of the glass. Like many things new, wheat has a quite different flavor than the traditional hop. Smells like wet straw with a light burnt aroma, much like a barn full of hay after a evening rain. There is more flavor as the beer warms, but not so much of an improvement, just a heavier sampling of the colder flavor. Sorry, this is drinkable, but I would go out and buy more.

2.29/5  rDev -34.9%

Notes Sep 13, 2008
Cloudy orange/yellow pour. Smells of banana, clove, hay,and grass. Tastes of yeast and grass,with an oily citrus mouthfeel,thin body.I tried this beer 3 times and just did not like it,not a big heff fan and this did nothing to fix that ,sorry just not for me.

2.33/5  rDev -33.8%

A - very murky in color, almost looks like I'm drinking orange juice

S - there's something about the smell that I don't particularly like and I cant really describe it...almost fruity.

T - like I said about the smell, theres a funky almost fruity taste.

M - despite its taste, its mouth feel is decent.

D - its drinkable but the after taste haunts me.

Overall, I'm not really impressed with the hefeweizen. It just doesnt sit well with me. The taste lingers like its reminding me that I actually drank it. There's no head and that taste is just odd. What I like about Flying Dog is the artwork by Ralph Steadman which encourages me to collect the bottles. Otherwise, I dont really recommend this particular beer. I could see myself drinking this over time and gradually getting into it to acquire the taste but its just not right to me....on to the next flavor...

as a side note: I'm still new to the variety of beer and the overwhelming taste of wheat was unusual to me especially mixed with orange...

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%

pours very cloudy brownish yellow with a huge 3+ finger head that left no lacing

smell - banana and fruity esters not much else

taste - not good - overly carbonated semi sour banana soda with some fruity esters - no spice no wheat - not good

mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated

drinkability - out of all the hefe's i have had this would one would close to the last one i would ever want to drink again

2.36/5  rDev -33%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Pours a dark yellow color, very cloudy. Made a decent sized head but quickly was gone, not leaving much behind at all. The smell of this brew is spicy, and some fruits. I wanna say lemon or other bitter smelling fruits. Taste is quite like it smells very spicy and citrus, I didnt taste much hops in this one at all. Very carboniated.

Overall it was cool to try but I could not see myself drinking more then 1 of these at a time. I will say it tastes very very diffrent then the other beers I have been trying lately. From all the reviews from Flying Dog pretty good I expected a bit more from this one.

2.42/5  rDev -31.3%

I don't come across many american made beers where i live, so if i see one, I jump on the opportunity. After all, we should all keep open minds to new experiences.

Of course, buying it in Europe probably means it's from a big mainstream brewery, not the specialists I hold in higher regard.

This beer fizzes and smells like cider. The head is quickly gone. Floaty bits are moving about in hazy orange coloured beer.
The taste is dominated by somewhat wild yeastyness. Not much else.
It's close to disappointing. Even though there's allways some hops and citrus in the weissen style, the yeast is dominating this brew.
It doesn't support the aftertaste.
I'm not impressed.
I will give 1 extra point on drinkability for the funny label and name though.

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured a light yellow color with all the "murkiness" I like in a hefe. Very disappointed at both the small head and the complete lack of retention.

First noseful was a artificial banana odor. The metallic tinge to the aroma turned my off quite quickly.

Flavor had the same saccahrin sweet artificial banana taste. I took a second sip, and was upset that I can't get the tin odor of my nose while drinking.

The feel in my mouth is the only high note to this brew. There was the fullness I expect in an unfiltered beer.

Overall, I say if you want a weizen, choose something else. I, as a fan of weizen, may have put a slightly higher standard on this then other styles, but this beer falls short of even my general taste.

2.47/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Agree with Winston3737... "Too heavy on the cloves" Also, leaves an undesirable aftertaste, as another reviewer stated.

Hefeweizen from Flying Dog Brewery