Hefeweizen | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Formerly In-Heat Wheat

Added by Todd on 12-22-2001

Ratings: 1,609 |  Reviews: 724

I got this bottle in a trade with JDV. Thanks Deniz!

This pours from 12oz bottle a cloudy yellow-orange with a 2 finger head of foam and it has some lacing. The foam lasted for the entire session, which I liked.

The smell has notes of wheat, yeast, clove, and some citrus.

The taste has a good wheat flavour along with fairly strong clove and banana and a mild citrus bite in the background. Quite refreshing and a good example of the style. It has a light mouthfeel and medium high carbonation and it finishes with some clove and some citrus. Good stuff.

Thanks again, Deniz!

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Nice 2 finger head and good retention. Pale straw like color.

Smell is of wheat and lemony twang. Slight grassy smell

taste: Lemony twang with wheaty flavor. Hop flavor is citrusy. The sweetness upfront is noticeable but not cloying. A sort of grassy flavor comes out as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel isn't very crisp, but it is smooth. It gets a little watery down the glass.

Not a hard beer to drink at all. I could make a decent session out of this in the summer. I think I would have enjoyed it more in the summer than now.

Not nearly as great or exciting as a lot of weizens, but remember don't compare beers to one another. This beer is a sort of easy to drink balanced summer type beer. Nothing special, but it is tasty and refreshing. I like it.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle poured into a 16oz weizen glass.

A - Hazy golden orange coloration with a tint of bronze. Yeasty swirls and currents flow through. Two fingertip head with poor retention and spotted lacing. Looks pretty good.

S - Strong aroma of bananas, although the cloves are also detectable. At the end a slight hint of cinammon shows up as well.

T - Creamy spices and wheat textures build the bulk of it's body. The cloves and banana flavors are also present. Very refreshing.

M - Light bodied, yet creamy and smooth. Great carbonation level and a crisp, dry finish.

D - Very good, I could see myself enjoying a whole sixer of this one. Not Flying Dog's best, but certainly an enjoyable beer. Recommended if you like the style. Think Hefeweizen Light.

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass and was dissapointed at the very small head that formed. Most hefe's pour a gigantic head and this was very small, what little was there did have some retention and no lacing. Color was a hazy light orange. Smell is typical of the style, some banana, fruit, bread and a little yeast. Taste is a slightly bland, nothing really stood out and was on par with the smell. Moderate carbonation and a pretty light mouthfeel left a crisp taste in my mouth. Another "ok" beer from Flying Dog but not a standout.

4.29/5  rDev +22.2%

Picked up a Flying Dog Mixed Pack at ABC for around $13...I have tried some FDs but not all of them so I figured this would be a good buy just knowing their reputation as being a good brewing company
A: Pours a nice golden-orange color with a small head that leaves minimal lace on the glass...Honestly I didnt know what to expect because the color was gorgeous, however the head and lace did not impress me

S: The first thing that strikes you right off the bat is a strong wheat nose, followed by the classic cloves, bananas (actually noticeable in this one), lemon, grapefruit, and wheat/malt yeast

T: Very nice taste for a weizen, bananas are quite present which is a delight because I happen to enjoy weizens with strong banana flavors...also a little clove, some spices, followed by a nice malt flavor

MF: The maltiness of this beer promotes a smooth aftertaste, followed by some strong bitterness

D: Highly drinkable, makes for a decent session beer

Overall, this may be my favorite offering from Flying Dog...its just a very balanced and flavorful weizen...Highly recommended

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

Was hanging with my brother, shopping in the local beer distributor that has a great selection of microbrew and German beers. As we were walking to the counter to pay for what we were holding, we passed a rack of Flying Dog beers. I had already picked out Paulaner Hefeweizen, my favorite beer, to turn my brother on to it, and we decided to pick up the In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen as well. I've tried many hefeweizen's, many I like, many I don't particularly care for - this Flying Dog brand was surprisingly near the top of the heap. Not as good as Paulaner, or most of the other big 6 German brands, but the best American Hefeweizen I've tasted. I actually like the wacky label and all that, and that is what drew our eye to the six pack... however I might guess that most serious hefeweizen drinkers might skip over this thinking it wasn't a serious beer.

I will definitely be buying much more of this beer in the future... in fact, I'll probably pick some up today after work to drink with my Turkey at Thanksgiving tomorrow.

2.55/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pale relatively clear yellow in color, not the cloudy yellow I'm used to for wheat beers. Lemon, banana, clove, and some off bread notes on the nose. Nothing too inviting - the smells are kind of just there. Taste is a real let down - water down citrus and a touch of banana with dry finish. Mouthfeel is rough due to the heavy carbonation. I don't know - I thought I liked this when I first tried a few months back, but now it just doesn't do anything for me. Recommendation to avoid.

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%

A - A big three finger bone white head looks fluffy and soft, and tops a perfectly opaque gluey lemon yellow brew. Sudsy white lace is all over the glass, and the head shows some decent retention.

S - Lemonhead candy, saltine crackers, and powdered sugar. This has an almost German pils malt note in that it is very much like a saltine cracker. Lemon in the main fruit component, and some spices are there too along with a lot of sugar. This smells like a wit and calls it self a wit...so why is it not listed as a witbier?

T - Lemon-lime Sprite flavors are the major element here. Now I see why this is labeled an American wheat on this site...it's much more citric and reminiscent of 7-Up than most Belgian style wheat beers, and it's not as heavily spiced. The flavor is all lemon lime candy, but although one dimensional it's pretty good!

M - Crisp, acidic and clean with a biting carbonation. Light and refreshing. This has "lawnmower beer" written all over it!

D - This is too much like Mountain Dew or Sprite for my tastes, but I see how this could be a huge "popular beer" much like Fat Tire is for NB. I think that a lot of people who normally drink BMC and the occasional Blue Moon would eat this stuff up. I really like this for it's thirst quenching ability, but other than that it's nothing special.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, golden yellow color. Minimal, short-lived head.

Smell: Yeast and citrus.

Taste: Light citrus background. Few standout flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium/light body. It seemed that something was missing.

Drinkability: A decent brew, but I was expecting a bolder taste within this style from Flying Dog.

3.97/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a very clean, clear golden color: till you swirl the last bit of yeast in the bottle to the glass. Then, it has a nice cloudy, orange-gold color. A white head that doesnt last long, but light lacing that lasted the entire session. Just the right amount of carbonation.

The typical citrus aroma, with hints of lemon, and bisscotti. A light hint and taste of bananas- possibly the esters from a weihenstephan type yeast. Slightly sour taste as well, with hint of spice but not sure what. Pleasent and clean in the mouth, goes down smooth. This is a very nice american version of a wheat beer. I was very impressed for a change from the Flying Dog Brewery.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Poured a hazy light orange with a thin white head thats pretty much gone after a minute or two

S - Mostly spices and some bananas

T - Wheaty with spice and some banana taste

M - Theres quite a bit a of carbonation in this brew

D - I think this is a pretty good beer I could drink this one all night

4.17/5  rDev +18.8%

I picked up a mixed twelve pack of Flying Dog beer on Friday night. It poured a bronze color with little head on top. It is pretty cloudy. The smell is of wheat obviously with pine and citrus. The feel is very smooth and refreshing. The taste was of a wheat beer with some fruit to it. I really enjoyed this beer and look forward to picking up a six pack of it.

3.72/5  rDev +6%

On a whim I picked up this at the local Beeporium.

It poured a dark yellow with gold highlights with about a finger-wide head that dissipated fairly quickly. The smell is fairly fresh-smelling with a definite heavy wheat component. The smell almost reminds me of a wheat field after it's been harvested. I never thought living near farms would ever help me explain the smell of beer, but there you go. The taste is very characteristic of a hefeweizen, and didn't seem to have a whole lot of complexity to me. It is just a nice clean taste with a smooth finish and next to no aftertaste. It seems to be incredibly drinkable, and I might pick up a six pack next time I plan on doing some recreational drinking.

3.21/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Golden with less than one finger of head and just a bit of haze (uhhh.... this is not looking good).

S - Light malt aroma, wheat (duh), perhaps a bit of yeast spice... pretty clean overall.

T - More wheat flavor and some yeast fruitiness this time; slightly cidery. Some grassy hops in the finish.

M - Pretty dry, medium body. High carbonation.

D - Very drinkable, quite easy to take down a few if you aren't thinking about it... but...

If you are thinking about it, it's a different story. I have to preface this by saying I am extremely critical of american wheat beers. I think the whole idea of the "american wheat beer" category is a half-aborted, ill-advised excuse for the average American craft brewers inability to make a decent Bavarian style wheat beer. I am happy to see that there are more and more American brewers who are making good weisse beer; but not that long ago, many craft brewers just couldn't grasp the style. Their interpretations were so poor that they couldn't really be called Weisse beer; and so, we now have a recognized style that arose from mass failure being placed on a pedestal (of course its supposed to taste that way! I meant to take all of the character out of it!).

Back to the beer at hand. This beer captures a little bit of the clove and banana flavor of the German version, but it is lighter and cleaner. The appearance is the biggest flaw I see; compared to classic Weisse beers it is downright ugly. As an "American Wheat" it is pretty good, but if it were judged as a Weisse beer it would be a bit of a failure.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a very cloudy light orange hue, head is small, white, creamy and mostly diminishing, fair lacing on the glass
S- Very sweet aroma characterized by bananas, wheat, and the slightest of citrus/lemon fumes, overall a bit underwhelming
T- The taste is fairly light and initial tones of sweet, almost syrupy banana and pine hops dominate, transitions to some yeasty and wheat malts and finishes with a sweet pineapple tinge that quickly dissipates
M- Light/medium-bodied wheat ale, light and watery texture, unassuming finish
D- Very smooth and easy drinking wheat ale that has a bit more sweetness than others in this genre (I kept thinking "Pina Colada"), nothing really stands out with this ale and not being a huge fan of this style, I probably won't pick it up again in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours clear gold with a nice sized head that quickly disappears. Aroma is your basic wheat smell. Taste is wheat with a hint of banana and vanilla. Medium mouthfeel and well carbonated. Pretty drinkable. Overall, an average wheat beer. Pleasant but not particularly special.

3.36/5  rDev -4.3%

12oz bottle served in a Hefe glass. Pour revealed a cloudy saffron body with a thin white head that left no lacing.I really liked the color of this beer, very vivid and appealing.
Smell was yeasty, with a wheat aroma and an array of fruit scents.
Taste was a mild wheat flavor with semi-sour lemon flavor along with notes of banana , and light malts.
Mouthfeel was watery, light and crisp with a dry tart finish, nice carbonation.
Overall a decent wheat beer, a little too sour and pungent, but pretty drinkable none the less.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Flying Dog In Heat Wheat...

Appearance-a striking yellow color with the normal incredibly foamy head and active carbonation that comes with wheat beers. Forms perfectly into the designed glass, you can't beat a wheat beer when it comes to that.

Smell-grainy with small hop shootups, smells very flowerish as a wheat beer should, I'm eager to taste.

Taste/Mouthfeel-subtle flower flavor, very smooth, a little light for my taste, goes down quite easily. I ended up drinking it faster than I thought I would.

Drinkability-Easy to quaff, wheat beer drinkers should dig it, good on a hot day, a little light for my personal taste but I did enjoy it.

Overall-solid solid wheat beer, nothing wrong with it and definitely worth a shot.

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%

12 ounce bottle from La Bodega in Riverside

Poured into my Bell's Brewery Glass with a nice golden orange color

Head was about 3/4 of an inch and was very foamy

Smell was full of citrus and pine

Taste was super smooth and went down really easy for a wheat beer

Drank 3 beers out of my six pack tonight, so it is very drinkable, just stopped because I had to get up fairly early in the morning, could have drank more if I wanted to

Light for how much alcohol it has

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

I often become a little dissapointed when I drink an American wheat, as I compare quickly to a German. But I realize these American wheat beers have their own style and flavor, and I have come to appreciate it. I like this beer. Nice head, appropriate aromas of clove and banna, but restrained. Has a nice tangy flavor with an underpinning of swetteness. Nice summer brew.

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%

Orange color, opaque, with a finger of white head, big bubbles that dfades to nothing very fast. Nose is lots of wheat and oranges, very light spices. Flavor is fairly sour, lemons and surprisingly mild wheat for an APWA. Very mediocre flavor. Over carbonated, watery. The fiz is biting on the tongue. I'm not a big fan of this one. The label's the best part.

3.22/5  rDev -8.3%

The beer pours a light dull gold with a trace of white head. The aroma is of malt with citrus overtones. The taste has malt and wheat malt with a bitter hoppy finish. The feel is light and dry. A fair american wheat beer, although a bit more flavor might improve it. A beer that isn't compelling me to get more, but one I don't regret trying.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with not much head.

Smell: Very strong aroma of bananas and yeast. There is also some lemon present.

Taste: Starts with a slight hop taste and then moves right to a smooth yeast and banana flavor. Ends with lemon.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable.

This is my first brew from Flying Dog and I will be definitely trying there other offerings. This taste a lot like a Hefe Weizen which I like. Good job.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

Finally got Flying Dog in Texas.

This poured up a slightly cloudy gold color with a this white head.

It smells of a bit of hops, a hint of citrus, and some bready/yeasty elements.

Starts with a CO2 tingle on my tongue, and the banana and fruit flavors come up behind. Finishes slightly sweet.

Smooth drinkable beer. Very good. Now I'm sad that I missed touring the brewery when I was in Denver.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

With summer here, we've bought alot of this tasty brew as it goes down really easy. Especially after a round of golf or helping myself to some spicy food!
A - Tall pilsner glass - pours a hazy golden color with a lacy, pillowy white head.
S - grassy, citrus, sweet malt
T - clean and crisp, sweet malt with citrus and slight bitter on the end
D- I could drink this all day! Good session beer.

Hefeweizen from Flying Dog Brewery