Hefeweizen | Flying Dog Brewery

Added by Todd on 12-22-2001

firstprev| 1551-1575 | 1576-1600 | 1601-1625  | next → last
Ratings: 1,609 |  Reviews: 724
3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

In Heat Wheat: Cloudy, bottle conditioned beer, with a pale golden color. The head disappeared very quickly, and left nothing as far as lace. Aroma is a bit off for a Weiss beer, smells a little like Windex. This is as fizzy a Weiss beer as I’ve ever had, or want to have. After the carbonation is gone, the taste is not bad, although not at all as a Weiss should taste.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer poured out a nice light golden color. Formed a light head that didn't hold and left no lace. A bit cloudy. Had a aroma of citrus and bananna. The finish was pretty good for this style. I am not a big follower of this style, but it was a nice change of pace on a warm summer day.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

A local grocery store sells the flying dogs in singles. So I picked up a couple more. Pours the expected cloudy yellow hefe color, with a nice thick fluffy head. Head quickly turned fizzy and left but very nice staying power. Lots of citrus smells, I think I picked up some bananas. Nice tasty, very refreshing hefe, all the qualities needed. Just misses out on being really good by the thinness and lack of doughy yeasty flavor I look for in a hefeweiss. Very good for the summers.

3.41/5  rDev -2.8%

Hefeweizens are not may favourite style of beer but I liked this oone alot more than I thought I was going to. It poured an almost neon yellow full of chill haze with no head. The tasted was a very light biscuit and a very very faint bannana.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Sampled: On tap, in 13 oz. mug. Very cloudy, with only a little head.

Aroma: Typical German style Hefeweiss aromas, but subdued. One of the thickest Hefes I've ever had - the beer had body and a half. (note: according to other bar patrons, the massive body thinned out a bit as the keg emptied, so maybe I was just lucky...) Flavor-wise, had some of the usual German hefe esters, albeit a touch reserved, with a very thirst-quenching wheaty/lemony (?) finish somewhere between a German and American wheat. This would be a very, very good poolside beer, as long as your Dobie doesn't read the label...

3.65/5  rDev +4%

There was no head on my pint, but it may have taken a little while to get from tap to table for all I know. Nice hazy yellow like lemonade that's a little off. Nice grassy, citrusy notes, but I didn't catch much, if any, of the estery flavors like what comes out really strong in beers like Scheider Weiss. The mouthfeel was nice for a wheat beer - a little fuller and thicker than some and a nice smoothness. Good beer, but not spectacular.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am pretty sure I like this hefe, but my thoughts vary from sip to sip. A bipolar brew. One sip is fruity and refreshing, the next is musty and nearly rank. Fortunately, it is mostly the former.

Pours a hazy pale gold. Heavy sediment load, with large particles floating around. There is some musty yeastiness on the nose, with some clove as well.

Taste contains alot of citrus and clove. Bready yeast too. There is a (occasional) faint steamed vegetable taste in the finish. I didn't get this every time, but enough to make it lose some points. I must reinforce that, usually, this bier was quite tasty and enjoyable.

Nice sparkling mouthfeel. Carbonation levels are right on. Spritzy without being annoying. Nice and crisp, just how I like these type of biers.

Even with it's problems, this is a pretty decent one. Maybe a fresher batch would be void of the off-flavors. Even so, there are enough positives here for an enjoyable beverage

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle. Yeasty cloudiness after the standard pour-swirl-pour. Nice off white head that quickly dissipated. Doughy, banana, clove aroma. Flavors are banana, clove, lemon with slight hop bitterness which intermesh nicely. I'm ususally a skeptic when it comes to domestic Hefes and I haven't been impressed with Flying Dog's other beers, but this is a good one.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Very tasty hefe. Wheaty yeast flavor is quite prominent, but was quite fresh and pleasant. Could not quite put my finger on the phenols, not banana or clove, but close. Seemed very traditional in the German wheat style.

firstprev| 1551-1575 | 1576-1600 | 1601-1625  | next → last