Hefeweizen | Flying Dog Brewery

good
good
Read the review
HefeweizenHefeweizen

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Formerly In-Heat Wheat

Added by Todd on 12-22-2001

Reviews: 722 | Ratings: 1,597
2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours cloudy, orange yellow.
Short lived, meager head, no lacing in my glass.
Smells faintly of wheat, not much of an aroma.
I am not a big fan of the wheat beers. This one I could drink as it does not taste like any wheat beer I have had in the past. It is refreshing, slight citrus crispness.
Not too carbonated. Goes down easy, more like a golden ale.

2.77/5  rDev -21.3%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is golden, with very little head. The smell is slightly yeasty. The taste is also very yeasty, with little hint of the cloves/banana taste of a good hefe. The mouthfeel is heavy, but about right. Drinkability-wise, wouldn't want another.

Though I enjoyed a few of the Flying Dog brews, this is one that I didn't. With so many good hefeweizens out there, this is one that I won't have again.

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%

Sampled at the CT River Brewers Festival.

The beer has a hazy-golden color about it. About no head, but it was in a plastic cup at a beer festival. The aroma is somewhat mild, with a hint of lemon and wheat to it. The flavor was a bit citrusy, with a bit of wheat. It is an OK Hefe, but nothing to distinguish it from the pack. Still a good summer thirst quencher.

2.87/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow. Slightly orange. Even with a heavy pour, and a stout swirling of yeast in the bottle, I got very little head. That which I did get, disappeared quickly.

Smell: Smells of banana and something metallic. Also some grapefruit. Kinda wierd to me.

Taste: Pretty much what it smells like. Some banana, which is common for the style, some grapefruit, and metal. Not sure why there is a metallic flavor to the beer. It's like drinking aluminum. Still wierd.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but not bad. Goes down without a bite at all. Smooth and light.

Drinkability: Pretty good except for the aluminum. It's easy to drink, fairly refreshing, and has a decent taste. I just can't get past the metal.

Got this at the store when I was lookin' for new things to try. I'm a little disappointed overall. I was expecting a better wheat beer. From now on I'll buy Boulevard and save a buck fifty.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

Truly disappointing: I expected so much more from this brewery. This beer is flat, lacks decent flavor and feels like swill. The look is no head over a hazy apricot body and no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is light and lacks any real sense of goodness from either grain or hops. I'll likely not finish the glass so that I not waste the calories on this little pig of a Dog.

2.69/5  rDev -23.6%

Cloudy golden color body topped by a thin white head that quickly fades. A hefe with a quick-fading head? Uh-oh. Aroma is very grainy with some clove notes and maybe just a touch of hops. The taste has a noteable banana component, along with a bit of clove spice and some bready yeast notes, but everything is too subdued, except for the barley malt character. It even has a good bit of typical lager graininess. The bite on the finish is very lagerish as well, as this beer shows none of the soft palate and crisp wheat flavors I enjoy in a hefe. Mouthfeel is a little thin and a little harsh. Drinkability is OK. I've had many worse beers, but wouldn't chose this one again any time soon.

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%

The head was small and white when it was poured and it contained fine sized bubbles.The head quickly dissipated.The body was murky-hazy and had a lot of carbonation.The hue was medium yellow and the nose was the traditional banana and clove.There was no lacing with this beer.This beer lacked flavor and the mouthfeel was tingly on my tongue, thin and smooth.This is not a good example of what a good German Wheat beer should taste like.This was a very dissapointing experience as German Wheat beers are one of my all-time favorite styles of beer.

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

After a stern swirl this beer pours with a hazy golden slight orange tint and the head just never develops as I anticipated it with a semi vigorous pour I was expecting a larger head from a hefeweizen. Leaves little or no lacing not much definitely not capable of what a true hefeweizen leaves. The aroma contains no classic fireworks of citrus, clove, or banana just some biscuity bready aroma with a touch of hops and some of that spiced citrus twang the more I smell very mellow aromatics. Flavors make up somewhat with a light citrus, slight banana tone, and cloves are also present in flavor body is a bit thin light in body but some texture actually present a bit suprising. Drinkability not bad at all I could picture myself setting up shop with this one if I ever manage to find it on tap, however not a classic representation lacks in major areas makes up somewhat in taste very drinkable not bad at all. All in all this beer fails in bringing a new exciting twist or even holding up a classic style but it is drinkable and besides the drink you gotta love the name classic just for that reason.

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Actually liked this better than what I thought I was gonna,poured a slightly hazy yellow with a big fluffy head,the aroma was of malted wheat and slightly spicey.Taste had a lemony accent to start with and had a lingering crisp malt flavor in the finish and aftertaste.Pretty drinkable and not all that bad of a wheat beer.

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance was fine...a nice cloudy appearance. Smell was somehow off..it seemed a bit too much "chemical" for my liking. Taste carried over from smell and had just average appeal. Mouthfeel likewise was a bit less than perfect. Drinkability wasn't that great with a bit of a catch on the back of the throat,

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours a translucent light golden color with utterly no head to speak of. The aroma is of sweet wheat grains and no hops. It almost has a cidery smell to it. The taste is decent, but far from my favorite. I just seems a little weak to me. I know that it's abv. is average, but something just doesn't taste right here. The body is light, but drinking this seems a bit of a chore. It's not a bad "wheat" beer, but not one that I would buy again. I really think that a wheat beer should remain unfiltered and hazy. It's the traditional serving style. When you filter this style you lose a lot of the original flavor and I think that's what happened here.

4.17/5  rDev +18.5%

A violent pour produced a good head that reduced to a thin white head.Looked to be more clear then most wheat beers.A yeasty aroma of banana and citrus.Almost exceptional mouthfeel that is very complex and crisp.Different stages of tastes as it rolls over the tongue.Very complex taste with each individual taste showing itself seperately.No real lacing left,but the aroma and taste make up for the appearance.Once again Flying Dog suprised me with this one.Slight bitterness added to this medium bodied wheat beer.Could use some more wheat taste on the finish.Other than that I really enjoyed this and will buy it again.

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

This weissen pours a hazy straw yellow. A fat white head appeared and then disappeared quickly without a lace. The aroma was your typical weissen, wheat, cloves, and bananas. The aroma was a bit on the weak side. The taste matched the aroma but was a bit watered down at the end. The slightly watery taste at the end kills the beer. Overall an average weissen.

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

Nice banana aroma, but less of clove and very little phenol. Refreshing nontheless. Medium sized white head. Yellow-gold color and only slightly cloudy. Good wheat flavor, with slight banana, slight pale malt and little mineral quality noted in dryness too (hard H2O?). Short slightly dry finish. Medium to high carbonation, otherwise medium feel that was kinda soft. Nice basic Am. style wheat. Nothing spectacular, but a good enough summer ale.

3.8/5  rDev +8%

This beer had the typical wheat look and citrusy aroma. Poured with a slight head and IMO had to much of the citrus taste. But a very drinkable brew especially on a hot summer day. Flying Dogs pale ale spoiled me I expected more...................CHEERS

3.07/5  rDev -12.8%

Nice golden color, cloudy yeast-haze. Head was disappointing for a wheat. In fact, I'm less than halfway through the glass, and it's gone. The smell is very fruity, light clove, heavy wheat malt. The taste is again, nothing spectacular, not not horrible. Hops and yeast battle back and forth for dominance of your mouth. Very drinkable, but to me it seems as though someone took an Ayinger or Weihenstephaner and watered it down.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a dark yellow. No exceptionally impressive, nor is the smell.
Taste is a mild well crafted hop side of things with a sweet, wheat malt counter. This beer is exceptionally drinkable. Slight flavor/aroma of campfire. I really enjoyed this one.
There is a slight alcohol aftertaste, but I didn't find that this detracted from the beer.
There's also a berry flavor in there, but I can't put my finger on it.

3.07/5  rDev -12.8%

I hesitate to call this a hefe-weizen, as much as it is a true "american wheat", not a lot of bite, but a nice smooth wheat taste. Pours a golden, coppery color with just a hint of cloudiness. Not much head or laceing when compared to the German brethren, but the taste is smooth, light and very drinkable. I certainly wouldn't put this up there with the top beers in this class.. just not enough complexity in taste... but it is a fine brew that I would buy again.

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Golden-straw color, with a white head that dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma: The aroma is of bananas, and clove, wheat, and a slight graininess.

Flavor: In the flavor was wheat, a bit of grain, and a slight fruity, banana flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, with a medium level of carbonation. Finished dry.

Drinkability: Smooth, and easy drinking. A good summer beer. Not too bad overall.

2.9/5  rDev -17.6%

For starters, the label is too damn busy. It's giving me a headache. I'm a pain in the ass. Anyway, this is one strange looking beer! I have never come across a Hefe, or any other brew for that matter, that is this color. It's just a tad yellower than orange juice...maybe pineapple juice would be a good reference. Completely cloudy from the yeast. I don't know if the color is good or bad, but it certainly is unique in my experience. No head on top.

The aroma is fairly weak, but there are some clove and tart cherry scents in there. The mouthfeel is extremely carbonated and a bit chewy as well. I find this brew to be very lacking in flavor and complexity. My tongue is begging for some spicy yeast flavor. There is some, but certainly not enough. A bit of fruity citrus flavor is present, but I can't detect much else. An easy drinker, but this is not impressive. Average at best.

2.93/5  rDev -16.8%

I'm a big fan of the hefe-weizen style but I wasn't particularly impressed with the Flying Dog brewery attempt at brewing it. Poured a thick head that left good lace down the inside of the glass...it was a lot darker and cloudier than most of the hefes I've drank, very yeasty. It also seemed to lack the clove like undertones that I'm used to in this style of beer. I didn't pour it down the sink but I don't think I'll be partaking in this particular beer again...maybe I'm just spoiled by the german hefes (Paulaner, Franziskaner).

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

This brew pours a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head. The smell is slightly grassy, slightly lemony and there's a touch of banana, but it's understated overall. The taste is okay, though mild and fleeting. There are tastes of pear and banana, but I couldn't detect any of the clove-like phenolics I look for in a weizen. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy yet could be fuller-bodied. Not bad, not great...just average.

2.6/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Swirled the last 3/4ths of the bottle… where is the yeast? Vaguely hazy, light honey-gold hue, a finger of white head, some lace. Uninviting nose, too musty… yeasty-wheat. Underdone palate, weak yeasty-wheat flavor, faint spiciness with little else developing. Nominal trace of typical Hefeweizen characteristics. Very nice finish though, light acidity and a hint of banana. Poor attempt at a Hefeweizen, not recommend... it is not even a good American Wheat Beer.

Pours a cloudy gold colour with acceptable white head. Definitely hints of banana and citrus in the taste. An average beer of the type. Look for the alternatives top rated Hefeweizen beers

The pour a pleasant “Chill Hazed” yellow-orange color with the head minimal in size and the color white, after is demise the lace forms a thin sheet to seal off the glass. The nose is sweet with a hint of yeast citrus crisp and fresh to the senses, start has just a touch of sweetness with a fair grain profile, the top skeletal in its feel. Finish bitingly acidic with the hops sparing in their spiciness, bone dry aftertaste and as with most of the beer in this line a bit light in body, well in my humble opinion.

Hefeweizen from Flying Dog Brewery