Otterbein's Cookies X-Mas Day IPA

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

cyber_phoenix from Pennsylvania, Nov 04, 2017
4.01/5  rDev +8.4%

It is the occasion of Merry New Christmas (Eve) Beer Sunday (Week 670) & although I am a day early with this one, I wanted to continue my day's festivities that I anticipate lasting well into the morrow!

From the bottle: "'Mommy, why aren’t we leaving milk out for Santa?' Virginia asked. 'Because milk is for babies', mother replied."; "A cookie-inspired ale made for Christmas day pairing, brewed in collaboration with the family from Otterbein’s Cookies, a Baltimore mainstay since 1881."

I had a die-cut gingerbread man that hung on my window at school & he had a quote: "Icing is for sissies!" He was a tough little cookie. I live at Chez Woody, directly across from the gothic Otterbein United Methodist Church here in Lancaster, PA, so this beer seems especially fitting.

It all began, as usual, with the Pop! of the cap & a slow, moderate pour since I have become gun shy & do not relish cleaning up a mess. Once I had it fully decanted into the awaiting glass, a vigorous swirl lifted two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, bone-white head with very good retention that left behind some nice, sticky lacing. Color was solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus. Nose had a pronounced orange-y citrusiness, like zest. Mmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste, while of oranges, was also rather bitter, reinforcing my mention of orange zest. I am unsure of how it was supposed to be evocative of white chocolate chip cookies, but I'll let that slide. Finish was dry & bitter & more in line with what I like & look for in an AIPA. I do not mind the tropical fruit flavors of some, but I would prefer a more citrusy bitterness. YMMV.

woodychandler from Pennsylvania, Dec 24, 2017
3.67/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Golden yellow with a small off white head. Orange flavor as described is stronger than the white chocolate. Slightly bitter in the aftertaste. Fairly light in the mouthfeel. Decent different style IPA which I would try again.

timmy2b from New York, Dec 17, 2017
3.47/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

DATE: December 26, 2017... OCCASION: beginning the Christmas season vacation in earnest with Episode V and a holiday-worthy beer... GLASSWARE: Maudite snifter... pours a hazy, murk, lively light golden body that permits some semblance of brightness... its head is thick, white, and at a half-finger, significant... a thick ring of lacing clings as the glass drains... strong citrus--orange, tropical zest--with a healthy malt base with vanilla, cinnamon, flower petals, and a thick milkiness that parlays into the creamy, welcoming, lively body... each sip is a solid invitation to the next one... textured and medium-bodied--light at the lips and resilient at the finish... a malted end takes what would be a middle-of-the-road and sandwiches it after a lion's share of orange peel ... white cookies? I probably need to buy some of these to have some frame of reference, but for now, the flavor is decidedly citric... the blunted malts suggest a dessertif, but do not really celebrate the cookie potential... if I represented the cookie company, I'd want my cookies back... the peach and mango inspire more pucker as I begin the second bottle, so maybe there is a new dimension unlocked in time...

dacrza1 from New Jersey, Dec 27, 2017

BeerCon5 from Pennsylvania, Jan 06, 2018
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour is rather good clear no sediment and a 1/4 inch of froth that settles to a mild ring atop a very orange yellow beer. Smell is interesting orange rind and hops but not bitter semi sweet not sure if I can pinpoint chocolate but says its inspired by cookies. Taste is decent smooth bitter and orange rind mixes with a semi sweet malt presence. Lost under the hops must be a chocolate note but I am not pinpointing it. Body is smooth and easy to crush.

Not a great IPA but interesting. Would believe this beer would have been better fresh.

DrDemento456 from Pennsylvania, Jan 10, 2018

3.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Urk1127 from New Jersey, Dec 04, 2017
4.06/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

sisterofba from Maryland, Dec 07, 2017