Double Dog Double IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by RblWthACoz on 03-08-2007

Ratings: 1,931 |  Reviews: 992

1.16/5  rDev -70.5%

Got this cool seven ounce bottle from Chris in a recent trade. Thanks again for the generosity!

Poured this right down the middle into a tulip. Only a thin layer of head on top of a murky copper body. This has a very malty aroma and I can't really get any hops. The aroma makes me think of burnt spoiled citrus. Every time I stick my nose in this I feel like I'm punishing myself. Ugh! I'm not going to finish this. This seven ounce bottle is to much. I can taste a bit of hops with a heavy malt body. Spoiled candied orange. That's what this reminds me of. Sweet and spoiled. I generally try to find the good in beers but redeeming qualities seem to be tough to come by on this one. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with light carbonation and the drinkability is nonexistent. I took about two sips of this and I'm calling it quits. Flying dog is usually decent for me but this is an absolute flop.

1.44/5  rDev -63.4%

Bottle poured into tall glass.

A= Gorgeous amber/red color with frothy head and lots of lacing

S=Grapefruit scent, no malt detectable

T= Awfully overhopped, terrible aftertaste, and overpowering astringent alcohol flavor, as if someone spiked this beer with about three shots of nasty grain alcohol. The aftertaste is like you swished your mouth with rubbing alcohol. VERY skunky.

M=A little thick, but it's hard to keep this stuff in your mouth, period.

D=Impossible. This was a drain pour.

1.46/5  rDev -62.8%

As for appearance, this beer is a nice amber, with a light head. The smell is a bit hoppy and filled with alcohol- gives a bit of a tingle to your nose. This beer tastes like it is 11.5% abv and that is not a good thing. Instead of strong and complex hop flavor, I got medicinal tastes likely from the high alcohol content. The mouthfeel was sticky and aftertaste lingers on the tongue. You want to open your mouth after you take a sip if that makes any sense. I found this completely undrinkable and I generally like the style.

1.55/5  rDev -60.6%

-Slight haze dark orange
-massive orange peel, big malts, big alcohol
-So much alcohol, citrus peel
-Oily, dense, huge alcohol burn

-I can drink high abv beers, but this, was the strongest alcohol ive EVER had in a beer. Good flavor ruined by the alcohol massive burn like drinking hard liqour.

1.69/5  rDev -57%

12-oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Color is a tawny orange and amber with a 1/4 inch medium density head. Head is a bit darker than a typical pale ale. (Doesn't this beg the question: Is a double pale really an ipa? Or, is a double ipa really a quad pa?) Sniff: Alcohol, alcohol, and more alcohol. Tiny bit of hop pungency but its all masked by all the sweetness. I'm unimpressed. First sip reveals turpentine and.... turpentine. There is no middle, no beginning, no end. Just one note pinesol, aspirin-like flavor and a boatload of alcohol heat. Yep, this will be in the drain before I hit "submit" on this review. What's the deal with Flying Dog. Other than their heffe, I can't think of a decent beer they make... A disgraceful craft brew and the epitome of everything that CAN be wrong with making big beers. I wouldn't shake the hand of the man who made this. Someone pass the coors light...

1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

1.96/5  rDev -50.1%

Granted, being a beer lover in good ol SC meant waiting a long time before we could legally sample these high-octane ABV beers. So, maybe this review may come with a certain bias based in being naive to the style. Enough excuses, let's get down to business....the review. My friend warned me that this tastes like grapefruit. Well, yes and no. I think the taste was a bit better and I was happy to find it didn't taste exactly like grapefruit. What it did taste like was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids. Very bitter too. After a few sips I wondered if I could drink another of these or even if I could finish the one I had. Let's say that the taste of this one I could pass on. The mouthfeel was thick and sticky with a VERY bitter aftertaste. Smell was so-so. Not bad but not really very inviting. I did manage to drink the one I had and managed to slug another one down, thinking maybe it gets better the more you drink it. Well, it doesn't. The only thing this has going for it, is the ABV which is high and will get you buzzed quickly, if that's your thing. Not a brew I plan on picking up again.

2.13/5  rDev -45.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, dark amber color with over one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very estery initially, suggesting mixed fruit including some prominent dark citrus. The presence of carbon dioxide vapors become heavy as the early fruit loses its edge, while grain complexity never really shows up save for a weak and monotone thread that suggests sweetness. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins very sweet, with an intense combination of caramel and vinous fruit. Thick crystal malt and cherry fruit emerges as it warms. Early flavors yield to even more intense spicy acidity, resetting the palate in an unfavorable way. Astringency and volatile alcohol develop in the middle, repellant and medicinal. Bitterness starts off bracing in the finish, becoming oppressive as it lingers in relentless fashion. Aside from the bitter there is little in the way of distinctive hop flavor.

M: Medium viscosity, acidity burns aggressively on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Hardly a DIPA, this is more of a clumsy and challenging strong ale that is best viewed and passed over from a distance. While it has distinctive qualities, they are not the kinds that fans of pale ales generally go in search of. Consider drinking six ounces and moving on.

2.16/5  rDev -45%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

To be fair I may be rating doubles and imperials low because my palette has changed and they are all tasting like alcoholic, carbonated syrup (with hints of oak and charcoal) to me right now.
I don't think I could drink two of these in a row, and not just because of the intense ABV.
Chewy and caramel-like are about right.
I don't pick up any of the fruit or other complexities mentioned by other reviewers except for an overbearing smokiness.
It reminds me of eating campfire s'mores and I am sure there are those who would serve it with a roasted marshmallow and graham crackers.
On the upside: I love the label art.

2.17/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

The appearance on this beer is the best part. Poured it into a westmalle goblet, color is a nice amber color with a good sized head and lacing. The smell..well, I didn't get a whole lot from the smell other than a hint of grapefruit and a whole lot of alcohol. The taste is similar. A bit of grapefruit followed by some lingering bitterness and HEAT. My god, the heat. This is one hot DIPA. If you are into that sort of thing, you might enjoy this beer. It also seemed far too sweet to me, even for 11.5%. More malt than I like in an DIPA as well. I drank about half of the 12 oz bottle and poured the rest. I don't drain pour often, but I just did not like this beer at all.

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.43/5  rDev -38.2%

On Tap (Nitro)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A beautiful auburn and brown with a thin, airy, light brown cap. Incredible sheets and rings of lacing down the glass.

A strong, potent aroma consisting of sweet, caramel malt and pungent grapefruit and orange. Some alcohol heat as well, as can be expected at this ABV.

Though the beer looks incredible, and smells good as well, I can't stand the way it tastes. It's remarkably bitter and incredibly harsh with alcohol. The powerful alcohol and chemical taste is strong from sip to swallow. There's some bready and caramel sweetness hidden underneath, but very few enjoyable flavors are present. It's listed as a DIPA, though this beer seems to have far more in common with a barleywine. That being said, this doesn't make for a good barleywine, either. This is my fourth time having this beer, and my third different serving type, and I've never finished my serving whether it be from bottle, tap, or nitro.

Medium bodied with smooth, nitro-style carbonation throughout, though incredibly harsh with alcohol. Tough to swallow.

Not for me.