Gingerbread Porter

Outstanding
Notes: Malts: Rye Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Perle
Yeast: English Ale

Brewed with gingerbread spices and aged on oak.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 13 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.62/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Might have had this a bit too warm because to me I could barely taste any sort of chocolate or cocoa flavor from the porter side I just got an overbearing cinnamon taste reminiscent of big red gum. Body also was quite heavy I made comments that it reminded me of fireball whiskey with a sort of burn. Overall might try this again in the future but right now I really don't want to buy it again.

4.32/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Welcome to the grand finale of my Happy New This Year & Beer Are Flying Outta Here On Sunday, Dog (Week 723)! This beer was part of their Last Minute Gift Pack & I was happy to find & buy it at the last minute on Thursday in anticipation of today. Big ups & major props to Craig Rodenberger for turning me on to this mixed 12-pack! This beer brings me/us full circle since I began the day with another of the pack's offerings.

From the Bottle: NOTHING! 8=(

I was kinda anxious to Pop! the cap on this one since I was still getting a tingle from the previous beer & I hoped to assuage some of the damage by drinking this one. Huh?!? 10% ABV? Perfect! Equally perfect was the just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head that formed & slowly fell away, leaving decent lacing in its wake. Color was simply Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose was spicy, but not in a capsicum pepper spicy way. Instead, it smelled like gingerbread coming from the oven to cool! I made a really great gingerbread house one semester in high school HomeEc & as the HMFIC of JP24-7 Productions, LLC, we had die-cut gingerbread men & cartoons throughout the room around the holidays. Mouthfeel was medium, but I felt like it lacked depth. The taste was great ... as long as you like gingerbread! This was spot-on in terms of being evocative of liquefied gingerbread. It was lightly spicy, kind of bready/ biscuity, a slight treacle and anise quality in there and of course, ginger. Oh man, this would be fantastic with some actual gingerbread! I may have to procure some. Finish was dry, as any beer that includes spices should be expected to be, but the high ABV was well-hidden. This was a dangerous little piece of gingerbread!

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is ginger/gingerbread and dark malts. The flavor is ginger/gingerbread, mild veggies, dark malts, chocolate, slight earthiness and an acidic/spicy finish.

Gingerbread Porter from Flying Dog Brewery