Woody Creek White | Flying Dog Brewery

flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: Witbier

Added by rowew on 05-26-2007

1.48/5  rDev -60.1%

Appearance: The appearance of this beer was promising. Light cloudy yellow color with a nice full head.

Smell: Things were looking positive until I smelled the beer. It smelled like the produce section of the super market, like cauliflower.

Taste: Ignoring the smell I took a sip and it tasted just like it smelled. I figured maybe I just needed to acclimate to the flavor. But by the third swallow I had to call it quits and down the drain it went.

Mouthfeel. Crisp carbonation based on my three swallows.

Drinkability: This beer just wasn't drinkable in my opinion. A couple of years ago I tried Blue Moon Belgian White and that too went down the drain because I thought the spice flavors were off but I don't recall the vegetal element. I like the banana/clove spice flavors found in Hefeweizens and the flavors of some other Belgian ale styles so I have to think that this was a blown batch, but Beer Advocate's style description does indicate that a Witbier may have "odd ball" spice flavors. I think the printed code on the bottle read 28907F, but it was hard to read.

P.S. - I looked up this beer's description on Flying Dog's website and saw that one of the brewings spices was Coriander (aka Cilantro). I hate Cilantro because to my taste buds it over powers any Mexican dish it touches and is foul tasting. This may be the source of the strong vegetal flavor and smell that I detected.

Update 7-8-2007:
I'm not the only one that disliked this one. Rochesterinsider.com's June 20, 2007 review stated "Thumbs down. The smell's unappealing, and there's a soapy taste."

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

2.11/5  rDev -43.1%

So, this basically sucks. It's Flying Dog's Summer ale and apparently it was made for people who don't like beer. Pours a pale yet hazy yellow, kind of like sunshine in the state of Maryland where this is brewed. Very little head, but what there is is persistent, leaving no lace however. Smell is refreshing but faint. Obvious hints of coriander to give it that Beglian "spiciness". It fails, however. Flavor is super-thin - almost lemonade like. It's clean and tangy, like a white should be, but it immediately finishes off, almost water-like, and has no length to the finish at all. This is what I'd imagine a hard lemonade would taste like, but without the good parts of the lemonade. Very poor effort all in all. However, at $8.99 a sixer, you can spare the change on occasion if you have friends who aren't beer drinkers.

2.22/5  rDev -40.2%

Sampled a bottle of this during lunch yesterday with a couple other brewers...

I won't bother to rate this beer with flowery descriptive prose, the scores above say it all. For the 3 of us, this was very close to a drain pour... really an awful attempt for a good Wit. I could see where they were going but they just didn't execute and produce adequate quality. Seems they are attempting to market and sell the product on the brand and flashy packaging alone. To do so at premium prices is an insult to the craft beer industry. I would not buy another, and would decline an offering if served at a future social event.

Word to the wise... if you want to try this, just buy 1 12oz bottle to test it... don't waste your $$ on a full 6'er.

2.4/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had two. The first poured flat and I was surprisingly disappointed. This style usually exhibits a nice clean, generous white head. Added a slice of orange to the second, and lo and behold, a nice head and lace that lasted.

Sadly the orange helped the head, but little else. This Witbier was flat, and had a nasty lingering bitterness after each swallow. I typically like everything Flying Dog has to offer, but I'll pass on this one. Their "In Heat Wheat" is a much friendlier Witbier.

2.48/5  rDev -33.2%

A very small white head that dies immediately. Big chunks of yeast floaties but otherwise this is pretty clear for something unfiltered. Doesn't really look all that appetizing. The aroma doesn't change things for me too much. The smell is yeasty and has a sourdough quality to it.

The first sip offers a change of pace with a very crisp and refreshing mouthfeel and a flavor that hints of wheat, orange peel and some peppery spice.

Incredibly let down by the look and aroma. Sisappointed in the flavor as well. Not a terrible beer but I would pass this up for the many superior versions of the style.

2.6/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a pale yellow, with a thin head that quickly dissipated and didn't lace well. The smell was very subtle citrus and spice; not exactly as prominent as one would come to expect from a wit. When the time came to taste it, the smell was dead-on, but dare I say dissolved quickly to an unpleasant, almost popcorn-ish finish. It felt light/medium-bodied on the palate, with decent carbonation. Given the bad finish in the taste department, even though the mouthfeel was good I wasn't reaching for another one.

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

Cloudy yellow body with a slight, quickly disappearing white head. Some yeasties in there.

Smells of mostly coriander, but also a strange musty smell.

Taste is dominated by coriander and some wheat. A little musty also. Slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Average drinkability. Not one of my favorite witbiers.

2.68/5  rDev -27.8%

Picked up a 12oz single for $2.00 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Code 308FY10. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A: Pale lemon yellow brew with a bunch of haze and yeasty particles. Small head settles to virtually nothing but leaves a nice meniscus of foam along the glass. Leaves a little lace.

S: Burnt popcorn, especially the hulls, front and center. Touch of diacetyl. Not much else except a little yeast, pretty odd.

T: Same popcorn taste but it is muted. Also a little lime soda and warm spices. A little yeasty funk here also.

M/D: Crisp and dry, carbonation is a little fizzy. Finish is astringent. Pretty disappointing, not up to par with other Flying Dog brews I've had.

2.69/5  rDev -27.5%

I have to start off by saying that I don't really dig wit beers and this isn't really an exception. But that being said, I will give it a fair shot for what it is.
Pours cloudy golden color with thin white head.
Coriander like crazy in the nose almost to the point where I coughed. The taste is very sappy with tons of coriander. The flavor reminds me of the smell of a hot summer day.

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Appearance= A lemony yellow, with little to no head.

Smell= very light citrus.

Taste=There is almost no hint of spices or wheat in this beer. I usually like this category pretty well, but this beer doesn't seem to stand out, it's not bad, it just doesn't stand out in my mind. There is some citrus after taste left on the tongue, but that's about it.

Mouth feel= Very thin on the tongue with some carbonation.

Drink ability= It's a very drinkable, and I might want to try it again some time, but its not going to be my first choice.

Woody Creek White from Flying Dog Brewery