Wild Dog Collaborator Doppelbock | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Gueuzedude on 11-02-2007

3.7

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.06/5  rDev -44.3%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass; bottled in 2007. No pop upon opening as expected. Pours very hazy deep ruby red color with no head and a thin ring of lace. Minimal lace clings on the glass, with some slight streaming carbonation. Aromas of apple, raisin, pear, caramel, toast, toffee, pepper, cardboard, and earthiness. Very poor aromas here, not really much going on with very weak strength; and moderate oxidation. Taste of apple, raisin, pear, caramel, toast, toffee, light pepper, slight cardboard, and earthiness. Lingering notes of apple, raisin, pear, caramel, toast, toffee, light pepper, and earthiness on the finish for a bit. Taste is very lackluster as well; decent balance but feels very weak in robustness for a doppelbock; with slight oxidation as well. Zero carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very slick and syrupy mouthfeel that is poor. Alcohol is well hidden with a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very poor doppelbock. Very poor flavor robustness and balance; and pretty much undrinkable. I am sure age was a factor with this one. Even though I knew it was pretty old when I purchased it, I was pretty much setting myself up for disappointment with this. Drain pour.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

A: poured a translucent orangish amber brown in color with yellow highlights and had a very thin head and left very little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the molasses and caramel were noticeable on the first whiff with dark fruit notes but had hints of brown suagr.

T: the brown sugar. Flavor was more prominent on the taste alongside caramel, toffee, molasses accents and had apple notes with a touch of dark fruits.

M: the brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, mild fruity, and slight boozy finish.

D: it was drinking a bit better than a sipper and really went well paired with a pb&j sandwich.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Pretty good deep red color. No head or lacing to speak of. Could benefit from a little more carbonation. A bit light for a doppelbock; looks like an amber

S - A bit thin on the scent aside from abv. Wears its 8.3% on its sleeve

T - Tasty, but nothing to write home about

M - Mild. Weird thing to say but it tastes like a beer that gets sold in 6-packs but it's a corked and caged 750ml. I realize you can package any beer any way you want, but the special treatment on this one is a little too special.

D - Drinkability isn't bad. I've had beers I've liked more that I couldn't drink as much of.

3.42/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle.

A - Poured a deep amber cherry oak color with a thin cream colored head that dissipated quickly. Little to no bubbles rising from the top.

S - Fruitpunch. Apples, plums, grapes, mple syrup. Smells sweet and inviting and a little musty.

T - Musty flavored fruit punch with a touch of alcohol flavor. Not bad, not great. Not as thick as some doppelbocks I've had but not thin by any means. Not overly sweet and a touch musty.

M - Seems a little flat. Overall, not offensive and relatively smooth without being syrupy.

D - Might be worth a try for the flyingdog fan or the doppelbock fan if the price tag doesn't kill you. There are way better one offs to try at better prices, but these wild dogs are limited, so if you are a fan, give it a shot.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a 750ml into a stein

A: Pours orange/cherry red. Lots of visable carbonation. Minimal off white head with no lacing

S: Sweet malts with some cherry. I even detect some rye? Not sure about that, but there's some kind of bread here

T: Follows the smell except for the bread part. Tastes a little watered down, but I can excuse that given the idea behind it (open source)

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish

D: This beer is very easy to drink and the alcohol is hidden well. That being said, it doesn't really stand out compared to other dopplebocks I've had. Worth a try if you find it, but wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

poured into two tulips

pours a slightly red tinted color. almost like a dark brick red color. not much head, but a sleek thin layer with a toasted break look. not much lace.

aroma is underdeveloped, not much there. needs more malt or some strong dark fruits. taste is a little lacking of doppleflavor, but still good. not very impressive overall though

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma - Clean. Sweetness, but not estery. Munich malt?

Appearance - Deep amber/copper. Poured 1 1/2 finger widths, but dissipated to 1/4 finger width. Off white head. Very clear.

Flavor - Malt sweetness. Very clean. Subtle hint of alcohol. Mild hop flavor and bitterness on the swallow.

Mouth Feel - Light-medium body. Mild Carbonation.

Overall Impression - The alcohol is well hidden for the abv. Pretty drinkable. What's to say? I'm pleased with the hop presence, but this otherwise a mediocre beer.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured a rusty orange with a decent cap of fluffy tan foam. Musty Belgian yeast aroma with some plum and raisin behind it. I'm wondering if any of the must came from the cork, though this was stored upright. Sort of unique for a Doppelbock. Flavors were mildly sweet upfront, the previously mentioned plum and raisin with a fairly bitter euro hop middle and finish. The body was of medium weight, and there was a boozy hint in the back, though it was fairly masked. Not the most drinkable, though I shared half the bottle. Wouldn't seek this out, but wouldn't refuse it either.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Picked up a bottle of this from the Boise Coop quite some time ago. Don't know why I didn't open it till now. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a hazy burnt orange with a half finger sized bright white head that vanishes as quickly as it appeared. A spotty cap and very thin collar is left with little lacing.
Smell- Sort of minerally from the start with a surprisingly citric hoppiness. Some Munich is noticeable but for the most part the nose is pretty weak. Caramel and perhaps even a bit of yeast and that's it.
Taste- Starts with a bit of astringent caramel malt that is lightly metallic and slightly sweet. Very toasty and bread like as well with a raw The hops are fairly assertive as well, still after at least a year. A lemon zest like kick that adds a fair amount of bitterness. A bitterness that very much seems out of place. Finishes with a bit more of that bitterness and perhaps of touch of smoke.
Mouthfeel- Medium to full feel that is somewhat syrupy with very light carbonation.
Drinkability- A fairly mediocre beer that I didn't much care for. It's a bit syrupy, hoppy and metallic. Isn't near the crispness that a lager should be and it's just weird. Not great for sure.

2.59/5  rDev -30%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this beer from mday through a BIF. When I pulled the bottle out of the box I was tickled pink.

Poured in a pokal glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A dark copper color with reddish and orange hues. There is a quarter inch light tan ring around the glass. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear.

Nose: The nose has a funky aroma like flowers but with a twist. There is some caramel aroma with the malt. There is not much else to get from it except a prune hint.

Taste: A bitter floral flavor with hint of caramel flavors.

Overall: The mouth feel is slightly creamy with some carbonation. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is bitter and off flavor. This is a very strange dopplebock. I have never tried such a strange flavors. Most of the dopplebocks that I have have a nice rich caramel flavor. I don't know but this isn't a dopplebock to me. This beer is interesting needless to say.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured surprisingly well to me. Though my experience with dopplebocks is limited, I was definitely expecting something lighter than this...this mud-brown, sediment-clouded, head-endowed gem of a pour. My initial impression of this Flying Dog special is a good one!

The smell is also satisfying. Nothing really wild and out there, but good. Now the taste: it's like a hoppy oak taste. Kinda like the smell, that's all there is to it. Though it looks on the pour like something from DFH, it lacks the complexities present in those beers. The mouthfeel is sorta disappointing. I feel like the hop, oak, etc. kinda dissolves in my mouth, and I'm left with the sort of lighter-beer experience I was expecting. Still, the oaky element leaves a sort of film on my mouth with a slight malt taste reminiscent of dates or something (I think about the Avery Fifteen). My palate isn't that well-developed, but those are the three flavors I detect: hoppy goodness, wet oak, and dates. That's prolly impossible for this brew, but this is MY review!

I think this beer's drinkability is a solid good. For the first time, I'll deem a beverage "sessionable." The more I think about it, this selection reminds me of a Red Oak (though inferior). Long before I embraced this craft beer explosion celebrated on BA, I enjoyed Greensboro's own. Whatever it is that makes this beer sweeter (again, my guess is dates), that's why it's inferior. I could put back a few with friends (drinkability up), but this peculiar sweetness prevents this beer from making my go-to list (overall quality down).

Nevertheless, I consider this Wild Dog Dopplebock a good (and sessionable) beer.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

I've tried Flying Dog's Collaborator Dopplebock on two occasions and was pleased both times. After pouring into the glass the beer presented itself well in color and pleasant in smell. The beer has a bronze color with a slightly sweet taste. At my local bar the beer was moderately priced, $23 dollars which pours about two and half pints. Highly recommend.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

pours a light-ish golden brown, with a nice cream colored head. fair retention, lacing.
smells good, but doesn't quite smell like a doppelbock. faint malt with black tea, nondescript sweet fruits, alcohol tingle on a very deep whiff.
taste is again good, but not what you expect in a bottle labeled doppelbock. a nice sweet maltiness up front, but with a strong piney and earthy hop presence. a little breadiness and green apple in the middle, a bit of alcohol tingle and a dry finish.
relatively light body, but a lively feeling carbonation.
I am torn, I really like this brew, but as a doppelbock it is a disappointment. without the style in mind I would rate this much higher.
I will give drinkability a 5, because it is good, just dont expect a doppelbock like you have experienced before.

Wild Dog Collaborator Doppelbock from Flying Dog Brewery