Garde Dog | Flying Dog Brewery

Availability: Spring

Added by letsgopens on 03-20-2008

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

I tried this beer at home in a bottle, served in a glass.

A: The beer poured out of the bottle a cloudy golden color. There was nice head retention and mild lacing.

S: The beer had a standard farmhouse smell: yeasty with earthy tones and a slight malt smell.

M: This beer tasted very carbonated but had a light mouthfeel

O: This was a good beer, but not one of Flying Dog’s best.
Although they get credit for attempting a French Farmhouse beer.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured clear and golden yellow, with a slight, light head. My first impression was how comfortable this beer tasted. Very drinkable, true to its label: it tastes like a European Biere De Garde. Nothing especially wrong or great about the vague and weak aromas.

I've enjoyed a lot of Flying Dogs brews. This is certainly not there worst. A good beer to add variety to their collection and worth trying. Don't go out of your way to use this one to impress anybody, but a great lighter beer.

And what a label!

4.15/5  rDev +21%

This is a golden-coloured ale with much cloudiness, but barely no head to speak of. The aroma is very fresh with much citrus, as well as a bit of a flower tone.

When taking a mouthful, you get a refreshing taste in the mouth with a fair deal of carbonation and a tart fruit tone of green apples. This tartness is a definitive feature of the beer, which is reminiscent of a weissbier. This could be explained by the fact that it contains both malted barley and wheat. Their is also a small bitterness that lingers on the palate.

This is the first beer I have tried of this style, and I rather like it. It is a very drinkable and refreshing brew to sit and relax with.

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

Well I'm sitting here deciding how to bore myself for the eve and thought I'd try this beer out for size again and reveiw it here at beerAdvocate and my blog (www.bottleofpills.com)

Forget when I purchased this six pack, a few weeks ago I'm sure, there's a few still left, and well there is now one less.

Appearance - I poured this from a bottle into a glass, and like the style - Biere de Garde - says it did leave a nice head with a golden color. The color is more of a burnt gold color, but easy to see through.

I think I should have probably spelled this out of the bottle as once in my glass it's hard to smell with openness of the glass. However my bluetick senses detect fruit, maybe cherry with a hint of lime or lemon and almost peppery. Lemon Pepper!

The taste is tight, it's crisp, not hoppy in my opinion but I guess its the malt that I'm tasting that is standing out. It's good, but I don't know if I'd want many back to back, I'm going with slightly better than average.

Mouthfeel - well I like crisp this has that. It's almost like putting pop rocks on my tongue as the beer splashes over it. I'm going with 4.5 only because the beerAdvocate guys say 5's should be rare.

Overall a pretty damned decent beer. 4

4.27/5  rDev +24.5%

This beer poured a golden color and it a great way to ease into the style. It has the makings of an intense beer, but decided not to go there. It is very drinkable and I would agree with most other reviewers; it has nice lacing, an apple juice type of aftertaste, and good malt character with slight hop bitterness. For a lighter springtime beer it is very good. If you want to explore biere de garde further, you might need to go with another beer.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a transparent amber. Thin off white head dissipates quickly

S: Very mild scent. Spicy hop aroma. Sweet, fruity, musty, with a hint of gym socks.

T: Sweet, fruity and funky character. Hint of dried apricot. Warming alcohol. Dry, funky finish.

M: Medium Body. Creamy with a moderate carbonation.

D: Taste, mouthfeel and ABV make for great drinkability.

Very interesting beer. My first biere de garde. Will revisit this genre for sure.

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

Served in Chalice. Bought at Eddies in Baltimore.

A: Nice gold color with apparent carbonation. Thin head, but nothing shameful.

S: Nice fruity smell. Sweet and some tart green apple aromas.

T: I thought the balance here was great. For a company that often pushes a style out in one direction or another, it was nice to have a balance new take on biere de garde. I might have liked this beer a little drier.

M: To style, not to heavy or light. Good carbonation.

D: A great aperitif. This is a finicky beer, so I had it with white fish.

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%

I was pretty psyched to try this when I found it, but after inspection, I'm a little disappointed.

The color is a light golden that is perfectly clear. It's actually quite a nice color, but what's missing is that nice, tall, fluffy white head. The head on this disappears literally within seconds of the pour and really takes away from the beer's appearance.

The aroma is okay. Some grass, banana, spice, honey, but nothing is really popping. I wasn't like "whoa!" when I stuck my schnoz in this one.

Taste is once again okay. Nothing really wrong, but nothing that really "pops." I'm wanting more spice, more zing.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, which furthers my disappointment.

I can't say this is a terrible beer. It's not. It's a perfectly okay beer. But only okay.

I was hoping for something special when I cracked this one, but it just isn't happening. Luckily I have a 22 of Rogue Chocolate Stout awaiting me.

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

I liked this beer, but it was nothing special.
Poured a light strawish color, taste was matly and a too sweet for me. If you like spring/summer styles this would be a good start. I perfer stronger IPA's so on this one i tried something new. Hope someone finds this helpful.

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a Pilsner glass from the bottle

This is my 1st Flying Dog. And to think the brewery is 30 mins from my house. (new to the area)

Nice fizzy pour. 1 finger head. Heavy carbonation.

Clear amber in appearance. Continual rising bubble throughout the entire experience.

Nothing comes to mind on smell. maybe slight yeast flavor with a little banana

Pepper taste on initial sip, followed by an almost earthy, mud-like kick. Faint hop taste lingering

Crisp overall. Very drinkable. Would be a nice summer drink.
Decent.

Overall this beer is lacking description. Nothing stands out. Good and easy to drink

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

The beer pours a very light golden color with a quarter inch creamy white head that quickly dissipates. I've never seen a craft beer look so clean, crisp and clear. It's literally almost see through, dare I say like the beer at the local watering hole on dollar draft night. :)

My initial scent picks up light hops with very light malt and spices.

A pretty complex taste for such a light beer. A deep toasty grain and caramel flavor. A bit of a sweet and light hop finish. Some faint fruit type taste in there also. I'd consider this a medium bodied beer, not too heavy on the carbonation. A smooth finish with a big taste.

A definite session beer that goes down smooth. I'd for sure take them over any $1 draft night beer!

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

2.74/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Color is a nice amber, nice white head that did not last very long.

The smell is grainy with a bit of a skunk smell. The label says it is brewed in March, I am sampling in December.

The taste is similar to the smell so I'm not a big fan.

2.26/5  rDev -34.1%

Flying Dog - Seasonal - Biere De Garde

Bottled: Unknown (bought a single bottle)
Opened: 03-05-2012

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: hazy light apricot color with a quick forming and well sustaining
head.

S: the smell is malty and flat. A very bread-y quality is present.

T: slightly overcarbonated, bready and flat. Tastes even a bit
stale/metallic. I suspect its the flavor of the carbonation that is just overcoming any/all flavor of the brew itself. It does clear the palette well, though.

M: the carbonation is a bit too much for the lightness of the beer. the feel is nice, but it isn't consistent with the flavor.

O: this beer is OK. A good brewery like Flying Dog can do much better. Maybe it's just my predilection towards hoppier braus but this really is just OK.

2.66/5  rDev -22.4%

Eh... a little let down by this one.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

The color was a nice deep gold. Poured a one inch head that fizzled into a thin lace.

The smell threw me for a loop, a little too sweet and fruity for what I was expecting.

The taste was almost too complex for me. It tastes like a belgian wheat mixed with a high-life. Then add a little orange juice, and some black pepper... viola'

Medium body, not much to say here...

Just drinkable for me... I dont think I will drink it again.

4.16/5  rDev +21.3%

Bottle

A-Lazy hazy off gold Belgian white looking.

S-malty doughy

T-pleasent hoppy bitter after taste. Something made me think of a Hefe for a moment.

M-I like it for this type of beer, I personally like Flying Dog Tire Bite but this was a pleasant surprise.

D- Very easy to drink, lacing still apparent after drinking half of glass. I like it and would buy it again.

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

I like it, while I am not a lager guy, this is a lager with character. Like another BA said it does not have that typical lager after taste. It is a good "house" beer for weekdays while the "ultra" brews await the weekend. Flying Dog has some good brews with Raging Bitch and their Summer White Ale being the others I favor. The brewery is about 1.5 hour drive from my home which is pretty cool knowing your brew is so fresh.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last