Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by sideshowrob on 01-07-2009

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 98
2.81/5  rDev -29.2%

This is my first Schwarz or Rauchbier. So I am reviewing partially to my taste and partially to the style.

A very dark brown pour. Not much head to speak of.

Scent is of peet, and a bit smokey. was this aged in scotch barrels?

Tangy flavor, with an overpowering smokey flavor. It attacks the top of my mouth aggressively. The smoke is the 2nd taste I get, but then overpowers everything and I keep tasting it in my nose. As the smoke dies, I get that peety flavor on the front of my tongue again. Maybe this is what a schwarzbier is supposed to be, but I'm not a fan. Am I missing something?

There's a decent thickness to the body, but it's still thinner than I was anticipating. Reminds me of a thin porter.

I personally cannot finish this bottle, but like I said, I think it is just that I'm not familiar with the style. At least I tried something new this week!!

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

(A) Overall alot darker than expected. Poured dark brown almost black. The head was around 2 fingers and a nice caramel color that held nicely. Left a nice lace along the glass as I drank it too.

(S) Very surprised in the fact that it didnt have much of an aroma at all. It had hints of chocolate in the aroma but other than that was very bland and was not impressed.

(T) Great Malty and full flavored taste. Hints of chocolate in the finish and an overal a great roasty and malty taste.

(M) Mouthfeel was a nice full feeling.

(D) Great Drinkability and was a beer that I really enjoied. Could see me self having a couple of these!

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

I have had this at the brewery in Frederick, MD on tap many, many times. This one keeps me coming back.

A - Dark, creamy. served using nitrogen/co2 mix. fascinating to watch settle, like a Guinness.

S - Sweety malty and smoky, the sweetness really comes through in the smell to me.

T - The best part...the sweetness vs. the roasted grain is what is noticeable first, almost immediately followed by the smoky, campfire flavor.

M - This one may differ than others. i had this on tap, using a nitro/co2 mix. the smaller nitrogen bubbles make the beer very creamy. It's a pretty heavy drink.

D - again it's a heavy beer but the flavors of the sweet maltiness combined with the smoky flavor make it one of my favorites from flying dog.

FYI - Flying Dog has a brewery tour every Sat. @ 1:30pm. $5 gets you a glass, tour and 6 samples. My wife misses me on Saturdays.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last