Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

3.86/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,988 |  Reviews: 1,163
4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer is a golden amber color that is slightly cloudy. It pours with a 1/2 inch head and leaves a heavy lacing against the glass.

The smell begins with the caramel sweetness. It is followed by the citrus aromas (grapefruit and lemon) and then the piney aroma of the hops. It is a sharp, cutting scent in general, but not obtrusive. I think it smells like a hearty IPA should smell.

The taste is a classic IPA; it has a heavy sweetness (caramel and molasses), a shrap citrus flavor (grapefruit and lemon) and a biting, hoppy flavor (pine and strong hops). I like the taste a lot. Along with the classic IPA combination of flavors, it carries the 8.3% ABV, which gets the job done well.

The mouthfeel is slightly heavy, I think from the higher ABV, but the carbonation is well balanced and the brew still drinks smoothly. The prevalent sweetness adds to the smoothness of the beer.

Overall I like the beer. I am a sucker for IPA's, so I like the well brewed and classic combination of flavors and scents. I also like stronger beers, so this one is right down my alley. If you like IPA's, are a fan of Flying Dog brewery, or want to try a solid IPA, then this beer would work well.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

This is a gonzo beer with too high an alcohol content for no reason. This is why feelings are mixed about its taste. If you need the alcohol like some of the Chimay beers sure do it but not just to be macho.

I am sure they know how to brew a beer, I just think they got carried away with this one.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a clear, orange/amber color with 1.5 finger head, decent strips of lacing.

Smell is nice- hoppy, sweet, very floral. Incidentally a little peppery.

Taste is fine as well. Lots of floral hops, sweet Belgian taste, mild bitterness. A little bit of a tea taste (perhaps Sorachi Ace was used).

Mouthfeel is all right- medium body, moderate carbonation, a little syrupy. This is an interesting beer, and I think every time I've had it, it's tasted different. Sometimes more of the tea taste, sometimes more resinous and hoppy. I guess it's worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a dark amber with a small white head.

The smell is citrus fruits,oranges and lemons in particular.

The taste is orange, bitter hops and candi sugar.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation.

I was more impressed with this beer than I thought I'd be. By far my favorite of the flying dog beers. Very easy to get, they even have it in 7-11.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%