Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Ratings: 3,981 |  Reviews: 1,163

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap. Pours orange with a short lived white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of caramel and biscuit malt, ripe fruit, citrusy hops. Body is full and very tangy. Huge amount of citrusy hops, caramel and bready malt, peaches and cherries fill the mouth. Finish is huge and very hoppy. Awesome brew.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No freshness date.

A - Tall off-white head sits above a perfect/brilliantly filtered golden beer. Left with little to no lacing.

S - I get a hint of some tropical hop aroma. There are some banana esters along with that powdery saison like yeast. Not super wet and dry hop smelling but a nice focus of the belgium aromas.

T - Has a glance of some nice mild sweetness at the start and halfway through the palate. There are some sharper points of bitterness to it. Some higher alcohols/phenols show character. A bit of alcohol warmth along with a dry finish. Has a bit of lasting bitterness.

M - Just on the lighter side of medium bodied. Has a moderate amount of carbonation. Bone dry finish is stylistically correct.

O - The yeast that shows up is all to similar to many saisons I've had. There is a nice bit of hop character in the aroma and plenty to go around in the taste. The body is light enough to be refreshing. Great interpretation. The first time I drank this beer I believed it to have some soapy aromas to it but maybe it was just one bad bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

3.31/5  rDev -16.2%

I don't know what it is that turns me off about the smell, but I think it smells bad. When I first cracked open a bottle I thought I was getting into something I was going to regret.

Tastes hoppy. Tropical citrus flavors balanced by a bitter astringent flavor I can't put my finger on. Another reviewer called it an asprin flavor and I'm inclined to agree, although it isn't strong enough to ruin the flavor. Good balance.

Easy drinking, good amount of carbonation. Crisp.

Really not what I would expect from a Belgian IPA, but it's a good beer overall. Hard to score it too low because I really am enjoying it, but hard to score it too high because it isn't a great representation of the style. I'd buy it again. The higher ABV goes virtually unnoticed.

1.75/5  rDev -55.7%