Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Ratings: 3,964 |  Reviews: 1,160

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A - dark orange, copper color. Nice 2 inches of head, with a 1 inch head retention. Leaves a nice lacing throughout the glass.

S - I tried the first one straight out of the bottle and the second one I poured into a glass. Out of the bottle the first note that hits the nose is the wheat, banana Belgian smell, then quickly gives way to the strong hoppy smell with a little malt background that rounds it out. When I poured the bottle into the glass I get very little yeast, banana smell and get mostly a hop smell. Without knowing you would probably think it was just a straight double IPA.

T - the beer is more of a double IPA and less of a Belgian style IPA. There are so many flavors that it seemed like the first few beers I had I got a different taste. One with strong yeast flavoring, one Hoppy, and yet another with a more malty caramel taste. The first one had more of a strong Belgian flavor and the more you drink the more the hops take over and over power the yeast banana flavoring. About 3 beers deep I thought I was just drinking a double IPA. There is a nice malt backend that balances the beer out and almost has no bitter after taste. There is almost no alcohol burn from the high abv.

M - light carbonation, medium body that allows for multiple beer sessions. Considering everything that is in this beer the mouthfeel and drinkability is pretty amazing.

O - overall I really like this beer. I am a huge IPA guy and Belgians are my second favorite style. My only knock the beer is more of a 70% IPA and 30% Belgian. The Belgian style takes a backseat the the aggressive hoppy flavor. The first beer has a better balance of yeast and banana flavor but with all the hops, alcohol and malts the Belgian style gets lost. With all that being said I would drink this a any day, and any time. If you like aggressive IPAs then I would recommend this fo sho!

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery