Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Reviews: 1,146 | Ratings: 3,900

Pours a clear medium orange color with a white head. The aroma is Belgian yeast, citrus and oranges. The flavor has lots of citrus with lemons and oranges. Belgian yeast flavors are present as is medium bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium to high carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

pours a nice clear amber/red with a finger of even white head. long retention, solid lacing.

the smell is an almost perfect mixture of the two styles. belgian funkyness in the back and citrusy hops upfront. very pleasing.

taste has a bit more belgian influence. the funky yeast taste is mellowed out nicely by hops.

mouthfeel: leaves nothing in a good way.

drinkability: well masked high abv. awesome flavor and something which is relatively new and interesting to me. very refreshing also.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this one.

Pours a pretty nice dark golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some malts, slight yeast, pepper, caramel. The taste is a pretty nice hop bomb, malty, a nice pepper note, slight corinander, and caramel. Medium body, the finish is bitter and dry. Very Drinkable, this brew surprised me, very nice, recommended. Thanks Wayne.

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured this recently purchased bottle into a snifter glass, didn't pour with much head, but that may have been more because i was afraid of overflowing the glass then the beer itself. a thin layer lacy foam lasted throughout the glass.

a - Comes out of the bottle as a beautiful amber color much like most Belgian triples and quads i have had (as i would expect)

s - smells mostly like a Belgian triple to me with a light scent of hops in the background

t - this beer tastes great, exactly what i was hoping for from this beer dry hop bite with some sweet malty body.

m - feels a bit thinner on my tongue then i would expect, but certainly isnt bad, leaves a nice dry feeling as i would expect from an IPA (constantly making me want to drink more)

d - very drinkable beer, probably wouldn't want to have more then a couple in a sitting or serious intoxication would probably set in and my taste buds would be shot for days.

overall a very good beer that i look forward to drinking again, and stocking up on next time i see it.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz bottle poured in to a chalice

Yellow and gold ale with a snow globe affect from yeast, fluffy white head the donning boast worthy lacing.

The smell is much better than expected. Hops grassy with mint, yeast aromas of bubblegum and fruit. I detect a bit of the Belgian stressed yeast character but it stays in check with the other aromas.

Well from nose to tongue I have been swept off my feet for this Bitch. Aside from the mild but present hop bitterness this bitch tastes like she smells. I can feel the warming characters of the high ABV and in the finish I can get a little heat off of it. Well balanced and truly an interesting style.

Medium to light body with matching carbonation. An after taste (present) is not from clinging sugars or thick mouth feel.

I find this ale to be quite an interesting style . Each sip brings me in further and further.... So yeah I could put a few of these back with out missing a beat. ....well atleast not until the 8.3% ABV kicks in.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a medium clear gold with a off white head that rises about a finger but fades quickly. Light lacing.

The aroma is pretty light giving off mostly an earthy yeasty light hop that isn't very bitter but lets you know the hops are there.

The taste is interesting as it starts off pretty light then explodes with ton of flavor. The hops are very earthy giving off a little bitter but just lots of grit.

Overall, this was a pretty good belgian ipa. I only wish it was balanced a little better with some sweet on the front.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

A lovely beer. crystal orange amber, a bit fizzy without a lot of head retention only slight spotty lacing on this pint glass.

Aroma confirms expectations is as the name would suggest, a slightly wild yeasty aroma, mild and pleasant with plenty of hops coming through as well.

Flavor too is as I hoped. It is like a subtle belgian golden but with amped up bitterness and hops flavor - slightly grassy. Not extremely bitter. Very pleasing and interesting.

Mouthfeel is light to medium.

Very drinkable. This would make a good session beer. I could finish the sixpack over an evening. This would be a treat for either lovers of Begian Goldens or APA/IPA lovers. Well done.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Here's a second kind of "Belgian IPA", not a hoppy ale brewed n Belgium, but an American IPA, with an injection of Belgian yeast. Much like Victory Hop Devil. Sounds like my kind of beer, so bring it on!

In a St. Bernardus chalice, why not...clear, amber appearance, and enormous, creamy white head, lace leaving and utterly lovely. Sitting gorgeous in the glass.

Aroma is vibrant hops, beautiful fruit, bitter citrus and a whiff of Belgian funk. Mmmm...

Fiercely floods the mouth, a generous blitz of hoppiness, matched with the unique, zesty lively flavors found in Belgian golden ales and tripels and the like. Big hops, like any IPA worth it's lupulin, then more of a tingle on the tongue, nice buzz on the palate...then that flavor both fresh and wild. i like the Snake Dog IPA...like it...but I love this.

Long bitter flavor, long finish, great sustaining taste, non-stop fresh hop delivery. Each sip urges the next. Flavor never leaves the mouth.

Delicious. Love this stuff. I'm seeking out bottles, so I can enjoy it more. Here's to 20 great years, Flying Dog!

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Drank on: 3/9/10
8.3% ABV 60 IBU
12 oz. in pint glass
From VINTAGE10BB

A= Big thick 1" head on gorgeous hazy golden brew. Head disapaited slowly leaving nice foamy lace.

S= Nice yeast inspired aroma with whifs of carmel malts and fresh noble hoppiness.

T= Nice Hop freshness, with a tasty bitterness. Good malty backbone and great belgian yeast flavors along with a mild sweetness and complex fruity flavors.

MF= Effervescent on the tongue with a dry finish. Light coating of the mouth with a slight warm sweetness.

D= A delicious twist on an IPA, hops are present as flavors more than bitterness The malts and yeast make you keep searching for new flavors and aromas with each sip.

4.62/5  rDev +17%

Couldn't pass it up, not with a name like that. Already gave me a little sour taste in the mouth reminding me of all the times I've been in the presence of ultra pissed off people!

Poured from a bottle into an arrogant bastard pint glass. Creamy white head gets to the perfect height and slowly dissipates leaving a thin foamy layer at the top. It has a golden color, very opaque orange that you can see through quite easily.

The smell has me intrigued, seriously there is something strong I get in there that I can't place and it's bugging me. Initially I gave it a 4 but I bumped it up .5 because seriously...the name, it just goes with the smell.

Great flavoring, seems like a subtle spiciness, like that of a good amber but not as overt. I swear it has a sour taste to it and it's not a bad thing, definitely a one of a kind beer in my book so far. Not super hoppy, the malt definitely takes precedence in this style brew I think. But overall pretty intense flavors without a hop-slap in the face like the big west coast ipa's which I think takes some talent to be able to get without over-hopping (well actually I don't think over hopping is possible but theoretically speaking...). Fruity as well, not too sweet but I get more and more of it as I go on, reminds me of apricot.

The mouthfeel is one of my favorites in this beer, it feels solid, it's creamy and spicy at the same time with minimal carbonation. Leaves a great tingle after the swallow which I've only experienced a few times. Was definitely suprised by the amount of creaminess the malt gives it with having such an opaque coloring I didn't expect it to feel as full-bodied as it does.

Super super drinkable in my book, it's intriguing like I said before, and that seriously just makes me want more and more to discover all the layers in this bitch...literally, Ha! I like it, if you see it I recommend it for sure.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

I love Houblon Chouffe, so I had to try this domestic version of the infamous 'belgian ipa,"

my .02

a: pale orange/amber color, fine meade and heavily carbonated, fluffy tan head.

s: big and strong citrus, pine notes. very wet, dank, almost moldy (not in a bad way) odor, (reminds me of pacific northwest grown hop characteristics). mild grapefruit notes.

t: it tastes just like it smells. strong, clean, bitter finish.

mf: light. bitter aftertaste disaptes quickly.

d: highly sessionable for 8.0% + ABV, but this is where i marked this interpretation of the style down.

The immense hoppy character is much like that of a traditonal west coast ipa (big nose, big taste), and i know the brewery is from the west coast, but to call it a "belgian IPA" where it barely has any sweet character, generally seen with belgian yeast strands, is a error. its not even tame like a east coast ipa. i had to mark it down for, imo, being mislabeled. I think raging bitch is more in the west coast ipa category, than the belgian style.

my .02

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a brilliant clear amber color with a finger of cream colored foam on top that has decent staying power...it lingers for a minute and falls to a skim coat and a thick collar - some uneven island of bubbles float on the surface and a small amount of lacing forms on the glass.

S - Fruity and spicy up front with some soapy and perfumey aromas too. Hops are very floral in nature for this IPA. A bit of sweet malt blends in, but doesn't really hold up against the strong hop aroma. This is by far the most flowery smelling beer I've had in a long time.

T - Nice spicy hop bite up front. The floral aroma carries over into the flavor as well in a sweet, soft clovey spiciness. As it warms the hops take on the addition of a grapefruity citrus quality too. Bitterness is good and solid, but not extreme - balance is on the hops side but it is definitely not a one ingredient show. The malt is soft and subtle with a bit of sweetness and some light biscuity notes. Pretty complex, but I thought there would be a bit more Belgian yeastiness in the flavor profile. The beer appears to be filtered...maybe that took away a bit of the Belgian-ness.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side of medium bodied. Carbonation is on the high side making this a good, lively beer.

D - This is pretty enjoyable. I wouldn't mind having another right now. This is flavorful and complex and an interesting take on a Belgian style IPA (though probably not totally authentic in nature). It is very pleasant to drink and I'm having a hard time believing it is an 8.3% beer. Hope they make this a regular offering.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- nice copper color with tons of beautiful small bubbles streaming all through the glass, poured with about a 3/8 inch foamy white head, and clarity to the body,

Smell- lots of the belgian yeast and funk, a very sweet and almost candy nose, very slight spicey hop kick but its way in the background over malt and yeast overtures, nose is inviting

Taste- slight sweetness and malt upfront that is really smashed out of the picture by an overlying dryness and hops creating a dry bitter finish, the overall first thing I am really thinking about this beer is that I know I have tasted something very similar to this exact flavor profile before and I cant put my finger exactly on it yet, its very unique in really mixing that belgian style sweetness upfront and that sharp astringent hop back end,

Mouthfeel- smooth and moderately to heavy carbonation, overall very drying to the mouth

Drinkability- this is certainly not a hard beer to drink by any means though I wish had a touch more balance as I feel the dryness is almost overwhelming and makes it become a beer I would only want to drink at most one of, its certain a sipper and one you take your time with as you can notice a touch of heat and the fact its not light wieght, overall its decent but to my personal tastes nothing I would go particularly crazy over.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Great name... Great taste... Perfect beer....
Belgium style IPA's are my favorite of all beer types, so I am slightly swayed on my opinion of this beer, but it is outstanding.
It doesn't seem like an almost 9% content beer. Very drinkable and perfect blend of taste. Pours nice, not too much head for this type of beer. Typically you have to be very cautious with the pour, but it was not bad at all. Overall this beer finds it way near the top of my beer list, maybe even into the 10 top all time.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz bottle poured into mug

A: Hazy copper-gold color with one and a half fingers of head that lingers, leaving good lacing as it slowly dissipates

S: floral hops aroma mix with a peppery spiciness and a bit of belgian funk. Some citrus notes are present as well and some maltiness as well

T: Floral and piney hops mix with sweet malts. A bit of spiciness is there, its kind of peppery. Also some citrus notes as well. Theres also a bit of belgian funk to the taste as well. Its a pretty complex flavor. The alcohol is not that prevalent

M: Medium with a good amount of carbonation.

D: Quite a unique take on an IPA, it works really well though, and I could definitely drink this all the time

Overall, this was an amazing beer. It was my first Belgian style IPA and I really enjoyed it. I will definitely be picking more of these up.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

It pours a nice, bright orange-amber with a thick and frothy off-white head capping it off and eventually leaving some nice lacing down the glass. The nose is full of piney, citrusy, and fruity hop aromas with subtle hints of bannana and Belgian yeast coming out on the end as it warms. The flavor seems to follow the aroma pretty closely with each sip with a touch of honey sweetness coming out as it warms. There is a nice and refreshing hop bite lingering in the finish. As it warms the 8.3 % abv comes out a little bit, but stays very drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours as a slightly hazy warm yellowy copper colour with a medium sized creamy off-white head that shows great retention, and loads of carbonation. Strong, slightly citric, hoppiness with lots of oranges, and a hint of zesty lemon. The taste is bitter with a mouth coating perfuminess. The Belgian yeast is very apparent, offering, adding a harder edge to the familiar Flying Dog pale ale flavours. An interesting beer, was expecting a bit more though I think, given the hype it received from beer bloggers over here in the UK. To me it taste a bit like their Classic Pale Ale on steroids, however, the power seems to have unbalanced the subtle bitterness that makes the pale ale so great.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Clear, copper golden hue with a small white head that leaves decent lacing.

S: Hops, candi sugar and that well known(?) Belgian yeast scent. Interesting hybrid.

T: Hops certainly dominate this one, but there is an interesting contrast of bitterness and sweetness at the finish of the beer. Considering that hops dominate, they don't overwhelm the other complexities in the taste. Sweetness is a combination of sugar and fruit; grapefruit due to the hops and slight banana as well.

M: Nicely carbonated, goes down easily, hops tingle on the tongue too. Mildly oily.

D: One of the better Belgian IPA's I've had, and that includes Piraat ale. I enjoyed that one, but the mouthfeel of this one is much better. Raging Bitch is not as cloying either. Overall, both are good examples of an unusual style that for me combines two of my favorite styles, though they are quite contrasting style. Seems like an unusual combination, but it does work to a degree. I'd probably drink this again, but won't go out of my way for it.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Deep golden color with a dense off-white head. Head lasts quite a while.

Excellent belgian-funky aroma with American hops behind that belgian smell. Big hops too, very nice aroma.

Good hop taste, but no mistaken that this is a belgian yeast beer. Very tasty. Not an every-day beer, but for special occasion, this is very good.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a bubbly bright orangy amber color with frothy white head, diminishing quickly to a nice cap, good lacing. Smell is a nice blend of hops up front - grapefruit, pine and grass, whiffs of belgian yeasts with a candy like sweetness. Taste is again forward with a wonderful blend of the above mention hops, slight sugary sweetness and belgian yeast flavors, slight bitter bite. The hops are the star, but the other ingredients round out the flavor perfectly. Great body to it, i love the feeling on the palate - fuller side of medium bodied, slightly coating and hints of a sweet and fruity aftertaste all with a nice carbonation profile. A very well put together beer that exceeded my expectation and is one of the better Belgian IPA's on the market. Thanks to philbe311 for picking one up for me.

12 oz. brown bottle with VINTAGE10BB printed on the label. Poured into a tulip glass.

Slightly hazy in appearance with a pleasing copperish amber hue, showing off a rather short but tight one-finger of off-white creamy foam that leaves behind a gorgeous latticework of lacing on the walls of the glass as it slowly falls away.

The first hit to the nose is a big whiff of citrusy Cascade hop notes--dry hopping?--followed up by a very faint hint at pine and spicy Belgian yeast character. The orange-grapefruit citrus notes dominate.

Medium-bodied with a lively level of carbonation. The palate is quite different from the nose, with the hop notes altered and toned down, emphasizing bitterness over flavor and allowing the complex interplay of fermentation character, hops and malt to really shine through. Mildly sweet and a little fruity at the onset, the hops dance into the mix toward the middle with some resinous notes and a big, dry wallop of bitterness that opens the door for cracked peppercorn, green apple and lemon peel overlaid onto a backbone of light biscuity malt. Finishes long and dry, with a lingering hint of citrus fruit and spice.

Rather complex and quite drinkable, with the powerful dryness leaving behind a scratching for another quaff. Pleasant overall, and a nicely balanced interpretation of the style, if perhaps a bit over-hopped for expectations.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my otter Creek shaped pint glass. Poured amber with a slight orange hue and a foamy thick white head. The head had pretty good retention and left moderate lacing on the glass.

The aroma is full of Belgian yeast spiciness and hops. It has a good amount of citrus and pine mixed with a spicy almost peppery herbal yeast flavor. It also has a nice malty breadyness coming through a bit as well.

The taste is hoppy with a pretty strong citrusy grapefruit, pineapple and pine flavor coming through. It finishes with some of the Belgian yeast spiciness that gives it a little something extra. There is also a fairly strong malty backbone to it that lends a slight caramel sweetness to the beer.

Drinkability is good, it was a very nice beer and maybe the best of this style I have had. That said, personally I really don't care for the Belgian yeast flavor in an IPA. This would have been an excellent IPA without the Belgian yeast that I might have enjoyed even more. But that's just my personal taste, still a very good example of the style.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

pours golden light amber and without much carbonation with a tiny head and not a whole lot of lacing, but a bit.

smell is a quite hop driven - tart berry, grapefruit and very floral hops, started out with a strange skunky aroma but dissipated within 15 minutes and left it smelling delicious.

taste is very hop driven as well - hoptastic in fact...great bitterness across the palate...lacks the yeast character of other belgian ipas though - just really tastes like an americn IIPA - but pretty damn good.

good drinkability for the style - quite impressed. overall as a brewery i find fllying dog pretty hit or miss...this one is a hit.

750 ml, corked and caged bottle from the Rare Beer Club into a big red wine glass. Vintage 2010 according to the label. Served at 50 degrees and up.

Pours a vibrant orange-copper color, very little if any head but legs for miles. Really, a beautiful color for a beer - goes a long way to making up for the lack of head, even after an aggressive pour at close to 60 degrees.

Nose is kind of interesting. Big, peppery, pungent, herbal assault up front from the mixture of the Belgian yeast and the big hops. There's a bit of sweetness underneath evoking a bit of caramel wrapped in the same Belgian yeast notes, but the hops shine through in this one. Very different.

Taste is big-time pungent hops up front - massively herbal, quite resiney, loads of grapefruit rind, with a solid twang from the prominent, peppery Belgian yeast. In terms of where this sits on the "Belgian" scale, I'd say an IPA version of a strong pale, or perhaps even a particularly dry Saison. Complex and intense, an impressive and enjoyable beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit dry, oily, slick carbonation, did I mention oily? And quite pungent. This is a hophead's delight.

Drinkability is quite good. Balanced, even as hop-forward as this is; the Belgian character keeps the hops from being completely dominant while at the same time accenting their qualities. I didn't enjoy it as viscerally as the sweet, Tripel C-Hop assault of Houblon Chouffe, but it's still a very nice beer. A very well executed Belgian IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (thanks richbrew!) into pint glass. 2 finger off-white almost tan head and the beer itself is golden amber. Strong hops in the nose with slight malt and a little belgian yeastyness. Citrusy hops dominate the taste along with some semi-sweet malt. Not as much belgian flavors as expected but present in the finish. Full-bodied and very drinkable. I must proceed with caution as the 8.3% creeps up on you.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery