Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by BeerisfoodLLC on 09-23-2009

Reviews: 1,152 | Ratings: 3,931
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Nice foam head. Signs of carbonation. Golden color. Transparent.

S: Earthy/citrusy hops. Bread/grain scents.

T: Grain flavors followed by earthy hops and then a piney/citrusy flavor. Bitterness lingers on tongue.

M: Easy to drink, and a little dry at the end.

Overall: A very well done, balanced beer. Plus it comes with a pretty sweet label.

2.47/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Have to say I am not a great ipa fan. But wanted to give some of them a try.

I opened the bottle poured it in a Duvel glass. Smell was really nice, first taste not too bad, but i can't stand the bitter aftertaste that keeps sticking for ever.

The more I drink it the worse it gets. Probably not a bad ipa but really not for me

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Huh, not sure what's up with this, but I'm not seeing this as hitting the mark as a "belgian style". Maybe its the fact that it has the ABV of a Triple, not sure. But, I still enjoyed it...so here's the details:

Look: Copper, burnt orange color with a fine, almost champagne like effervescence (maybe that's belgian). Poured into a not even sorta appropriate glass by the National Pastime bar in the Gaylord National Harbor it still managed to maintain a thin but substantial head that stuck to the glass and covered the top of the beer.

Smell: Just clean. Nothing of note. Nothing IPA hoppy, no belgian yeast or graininess. But clean and fresh.

Taste: Mid level american IPA. No noteable belgian yeast, on the dry side though, maybe just a little remeniscent of a saison. Nothing to indicate the high ABV either...sneaky.

Feel: Nice. Medium body. Little lactose creaminess going on.

Overall quite a pleasant drinkeable beer especially for the alcohol level. For a better example of the style, maybe a Clown Shoes Muffin Top or a Brewery Vivant Tree Bucket

4.04/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Color was amber almost looked like a good amber/red. Nice crisp citrus smell and taste. Haven't had too many Belgian style IPAs but I like it. Plus it has a great name that I can annoy my wife with. (:

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Drank on: 3/9/10
8.3% ABV 60 IBU
12 oz. in pint glass
From VINTAGE10BB

A= Big thick 1" head on gorgeous hazy golden brew. Head disapaited slowly leaving nice foamy lace.

S= Nice yeast inspired aroma with whifs of carmel malts and fresh noble hoppiness.

T= Nice Hop freshness, with a tasty bitterness. Good malty backbone and great belgian yeast flavors along with a mild sweetness and complex fruity flavors.

MF= Effervescent on the tongue with a dry finish. Light coating of the mouth with a slight warm sweetness.

D= A delicious twist on an IPA, hops are present as flavors more than bitterness The malts and yeast make you keep searching for new flavors and aromas with each sip.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Roaring out of the bottle, you can immediately smell the sweet Belgian malt, but wait. There’s something else there. Why it is the strong (almost cannibis) aroma of high alpha American hops barking sharp orders to your palate. The two are a match made in bitchdom. The initial swig shows sharp resiny hops on the sides and back on the tongue, but the candi sugar character slowly melds with that character and settles into a finish that is both malty and hoppy at the same time. Fruity yeast esters a long earthy bitter finish round this one out. Complex, yet refreshing, this one hides its 8% attitude well.

4.67/5  rDev +18.2%

This is one of my favorite beers. It is hoppy and bitter and the belgian yeast adds an incredible tang that converts the bitterness to a mild sweetness.

The color is a light burgundy, 70% opaque with half an inch creamy head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing.

Smells like hops and caramel and spices. A bit of malt and some fruity notes--apples and a hint of blackberry maybe.

Tastes like dream. Tangy and peppery and hoppy. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is good....it's amazingly smooth given all the flavor and bitterness and alcohol.

Overall, a wonderfulIPA with belgian yeast.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Belgian, you say? IPA, you say? Right up my alley.

I tend to like everything (including white wine) warmer, and this is no exception-- however, even though it is harsher colder, i'll happily drink it fridge-chilled. It's an easier drink warmer; if the initial bite when fresh out of a cold place wasn't there, I would have rated it higher in drinkability.

It's a pretty color, foamy clear head, and evenly spaced lacing. I loved the bitter hoppy character, and the sweetness of the Belgian was a welcome counterpoint.

Since this is a 20th anniversary beer, I will try to find what I can and hope it gets put into regular rotation.

2.62/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

A - Nice belgian phenolics in aroma, clove & pepper with a sweet pils malt behind it. Very nice perfume quality. Very low stale cardboard

A- Deep gold, pale off white head fades to thin lacing very quickly

F- Extremely harsh, a combination of hot alcohol and moderately high hop bitterness. Makes it hard to pick up what I think are possibly good malt/ yeast flavors in there.

M- Med full, fairly effervescent.

O- This must be a bad batch, code on bottle is 338A13. I can't believe people drink this and give it decent reviews if this is consistently the beer's flavor.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a somewhat hazy bright orange hue with dense bubbles that cascade down the side of the glass that gracefully evolves into a dense and silky one finger off-white head.

S- Citrusy hops and a Belgian spiciness dominate the nose with sweet caramel and aromatic tones lurking in the background.

T- A generous hop bitterness comes out first surfing on silky smooth caramel malts, then the punch and twang of some spicy belgian yeast esters. The citrusy resinous hop flavor is last to appear and tastes wonderful. I like the balance of this beer.

M- Despite seeming very bubbly during the pour, this beer definitely has its smooth moments. The medium body accompanies taste very well.

O- I'm loving this beer, especially as it warms up. For a beer that incorporates ingredients and flavors that can easily run wild and take over, a delicate balance is achieved and makes this one very memorable. I would certainly buy this again.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Coming from a brew so named, I didn't expect such a balanced beer. Pours a light amber with a white one inch head, dissipating into nice lacing. Lots of visible carbonation. On the nose, I notice the aroma of Belgian style yeast, and some pine. Also some sweet malt. I am also getting some citrus, orange peel. This beer begins bitter, then you get the familiar Belgian beer flavor, then you get the hops again. I am picking up notes of pine and citrus, some grapefruit. Although this beer has a relatively high alcohol content, though it does not taste hot. i would say that is of medium body, though the alcohol does catch up to you. I am quite pleased with this beer. It is everything that I would expect from the style.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

Pours a slightly hazy copper with a 1 finger white head that slowly dissipates into a nice even layer of foam across the top; a moderate amount of lacing throughout the session. The aroma for me is the most enjoyable part of this beer...huge amounts of fruit - banana and warm pear with winter spices; a hint of licorice; sourness from the Belgian Yeast is rounded out by the generous backbone of malted barley; mostly sweet but you can really tell there is a generous amount of hops from the first whiff. Taste is enjoyable - fruity, but I also got a lot of rich flavors out of it, too...cocoa, spice, and earthy hop flavors; leaves behind a mostly sweet, slightly bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was a little sharp in my opinion; as a hybrid between two very different styles, I'd like the feel to be a bit smoother rather than have a bite like an IPA/DIPA - personal preference, though.

Overall, an enjoyable, complex brew. With a variety of different elements - sweet, sour, bitter, and rich - it's hard to put a label on it. I've been drinking this for a few years, and have never thought about it as hard as I did tonight. Would definitely recommend, and I'm curious to see where this style goes in the future. Cheers!

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

Nothing much to say about this one other than, it's your typical beer that soooorta satisfies my hoppy thirst. Clearly, ratebeer's rating of a 98/100 shows me ratebeer is really loose with giving high grades for mediocre beers.

Aroma, you get a little citrus and a little malt. The end.

Taste, some sweetness, some grapefruit, and some malt. It wasn't a bad beer, but the fact that this is supposedly their best beer, I had high expectations and this fell short of those expectations. It really was just your ordinary beer you would get off tap at any local bar. I will have forgotten the taste of this beer by tomorrow. In this day and age where breweries are REALLY stepping up their games, this one would fall in the bottom 40% of beers that are not worth your money. Paid $13 for a 6-pack, really should not have exceeded $10.

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

An absolutely amazing IPA. Well worth the "20 year wait" for this beverage.

the aroma is heavenly; saturated with glorious hops
Taste is hops, hops, hops
I could drink this every day.

Its winter and I normally don't drink pale ales in the winter, but I had to try it, and I'm VERY glad that I did. I wish this to become a permanent fixture in the flying dog line of fine beverages

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz. bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy effervescent rimmed light orange, with a smallish bubble off dirty white head.

S: Has a pungent clean hops smell with a banana yeastness hiding underneath. Smelling good so far.

T: Hits the mouth with a very quick sweet malts taste and then transitions into a heavy dose of clean hops with a washing of a slight alcohol burn in the end. Definitely a sipper, but not tasting much Belgian in this one.

M: Its a medium body affair with a nice zing of alcohol across the palate and onto the back of the throat. I usually don't like to taste alcohol but in this case I'm digging the cleansing alcohol wash after every bitter sip.

D: A sipper for sure at 8.5% and with the amount of hops and heat this one brings to the table I've yet to drink two in a row of these bad boys.

An emerging style for sure. I just wish there was a little more Belgian in this one.

3.87/5  rDev -2%

A- poured out a clear golden orange with little head but good lacing on the way down.

S- very interesting aroma - this is my first Belgian-style IPA. It's a great mix of Belgian fruitiness and the IPA tang.

T- taste was as good as the aroma, although I was expecting just a bit more. Still quite good, though, a smooth mixture of fruit and tang.

M- The mouthfeel was also quite good, especially considering the ABV. Balanced and even a bit mellow on the finish.

D- Definitely different from other higher-abv IPAs I've had; not sure if I've developed the taste for it yet... perhaps I'll have to drink some more of them...

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Poured into a pint glass. Deep orange to red complexion. Perfectly white head forming up to about a half inch.

S - Hops come across right away. Some fruit notes follow. Slight alcohol tinge.

T - The hops come through up front as expected. Apricot along with other syrupy fruity notes.

M - Light. Pretty pleasant overall.

D - If I were more into the taste I could definitely stick with this one all night.

As much as I enjoy Piraat, I was expecting more from this. A good beer, but perhaps a bit too hoppy for my taste. I find IPAs are hit or miss with me.

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm learning that I tend to rate beers I enjoy high, but then again, it's cuz I enjoyed it. This was a surprise. Being such a high ABV, I went in thinking it would be out of my league. The pour was near beautiful, with a bright, rich orange, with a frothy, albeit short lived, head. The taste was very nice. The alcohol was subtle, even at 8.3. It was a well balanced and somewhat complex beer, with less hop-kick that I would expect in an IPA. That's fine by me, cuz I'm not a real hop-head.

In any event, a pleasant surprise, one in which I won't be caught off guard again. More to come.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a nice reddish, amber hue; a little on the lighter side of Red Ale. A very stick lacing on the insides of the pint glass. It smells of a fruity mix, but I can pick out the smell of tangerine on the hops. The spiciness of the hops is rather smoothed-out, different from many IPA styles - the bitterness isn't as profound here. Rich in malt flavors, the traces of yeast are covered very well. Very happy with this beer, runs true to its reviews, and would definitely drink again.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

This beer was fantastic. I would have to say this is a top3 beer in my book. Glad I made the purchase.

A= wonderful copper light brown look

S= you get notes of all types of fruit essence just a nice smell

T= exceptional taste, hoppy yet not bitter at all

M= very clean feel with a nice tastey yet clean finish

D= way too drinkable..8.3% ABV..

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

A - dark orange, copper color. Nice 2 inches of head, with a 1 inch head retention. Leaves a nice lacing throughout the glass.

S - I tried the first one straight out of the bottle and the second one I poured into a glass. Out of the bottle the first note that hits the nose is the wheat, banana Belgian smell, then quickly gives way to the strong hoppy smell with a little malt background that rounds it out. When I poured the bottle into the glass I get very little yeast, banana smell and get mostly a hop smell. Without knowing you would probably think it was just a straight double IPA.

T - the beer is more of a double IPA and less of a Belgian style IPA. There are so many flavors that it seemed like the first few beers I had I got a different taste. One with strong yeast flavoring, one Hoppy, and yet another with a more malty caramel taste. The first one had more of a strong Belgian flavor and the more you drink the more the hops take over and over power the yeast banana flavoring. About 3 beers deep I thought I was just drinking a double IPA. There is a nice malt backend that balances the beer out and almost has no bitter after taste. There is almost no alcohol burn from the high abv.

M - light carbonation, medium body that allows for multiple beer sessions. Considering everything that is in this beer the mouthfeel and drinkability is pretty amazing.

O - overall I really like this beer. I am a huge IPA guy and Belgians are my second favorite style. My only knock the beer is more of a 70% IPA and 30% Belgian. The Belgian style takes a backseat the the aggressive hoppy flavor. The first beer has a better balance of yeast and banana flavor but with all the hops, alcohol and malts the Belgian style gets lost. With all that being said I would drink this a any day, and any time. If you like aggressive IPAs then I would recommend this fo sho!

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Clear dark orange, very little head, dissipates quickly.

S- Strong hops smell right off the bat, with a little carmel or molassas up front. A nice balance to the nose of floral and citrus hops, nice.

T- The malts are present with the hops in a nice balance right away. Very hoppy, as promised, but more mellow and smooth than expected. A very complex flavor, with nice citrus and light caramel tastes, and just a hint of vanilla. The hops become more noticeable with each sip, with the floral tastes getting stronger. The taste doesn't so much match the nose as triumph over it.

M- Decent body, no major complaints.

D- Amazing for an IPA, I want ten more right now.

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into pint glass. Pours with a nice thick head that stays Semi opaque orange gold color with lots of carbonation bubbles. A little haziness near the head.

Smells nice and leads you into the type of beer. Very citrusy. fruity, hoppy.

Tastes right off the bat of floral and fruity notes. Citrus. Smooth into a malty and hoppy finish. Clean, smooth. with a full bodied taste/

Feels great in the mouth, thick but leaves the mouth dry.

Tasty

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Darker than American IPAs. Has a nice orange glow to it. Small head that quickly dissipates. Looks like it sticks.

Smell: Smells like hops, some malts and maybe some fruity esters.

Taste: Good hop flavors with a sweet aftertaste from a mix of malts and yeast. I could have used a bit more bitterness though.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty good beer. The ABVs are pretty hidden in this beer btw.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Slightly hazy gold with a nice crop of finely beaded head.

S - Zesty, Citrusy hops up front; I pick up some oranges and lemon. The zesty citrus and hops mingle well with the breadiness of Belgian yeast. Smells delicious.

T - A very enjoyable blend of hop bite and biscuity yeast. It certainly is more of an IPA than a Belgian Pale, but the belgian qualities are there, albeit subdued by the hops.

M - Well carbonated and full bodied. Spot on for the style. If anything it borders on being a bit thick and viscous for the flavor profile.

D - A very drinkable beer, and one that I could enjoy a few bottles of in a night. However, the bite from the hops is a bit more palate wrecking than the IBU rating leads on.

Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA from Flying Dog Brewery