Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado) | Flying Dog Brewery

Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado)Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado)
Liked This Beer
3.86 w/ 231 ratings
Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado)Single Hop Imperial IPA (El Dorado)

Flying Dog Brewery

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

12oz bottle $2.59. Nice orange color, great clarity, lots of lacing, looks very appealing. Aroma is dead malts and just a boring hop character. The flavor is more old malts, deadness, not a nice beer. It tastes oxidized, smells like dog food, maybe the only thing they took from Denver was notes of the Purina factory. Pitiful as far as IPA's go. Maybe they moved because the standards are lower in Maryland and they couldn't keep up I'm CO.

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a tulip. Amber and gold with a frothy white head, great retention. Smells sweet and cirtusy with alcohol on the nose. Soft nip of alcohol on the front, mellowing in to thick malt backbone, great citusy and fruity hop finish. Very smooth, hides the alcohol well. Great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I know I will be a bit higher than other reviewers on this beer. I bought a six pack of this while I had a few other beers on hand so I was able to drink it only when I saw fit. Others mention that the alcohol is too noticeable in this beer, but I felt that it went well with the sort of thin yet bubbly mouthfeel of the beer.
I found myself drinking this beer with pasta and so happy that I could do that. I usually can't find a good beer for pasta, especially with red sauce, and usually find that wine works better, but there is a subdued quality to this El Dorado hop that is different than the bright and fruity hop you get in a lot of DIPA's nowadays, and I think the alcohol works with this and makes it almost a 'wine of a beer'. Indeed, I found myself sharing 12 oz bottles among two or three people in wine glasses at meals. As for the components, I would say Jason's summary reflects very accurately what I got in the sixer I bought.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%