The Fear Imperial Pumpkin Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.44/5  rDev -6.5%

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a dark brown with a ruby hue, two-finger off-white foamy head retains long after the pour, leaving behind some nice lacing.

S- big malty aromas of sweet bread and some fig, some toasted notes in there as well that simulate an aroma of pie crust. Pumpkin spices are well balanced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger

T- the big malty notes follow the aroma with lots of sweet bread and dark fruits, the sweetness continues and becomes a bit cloying, pumpkin spice notes are there, but overpowered by the sweetness

M- Heavy and thick body with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel and ends with a velvety finish, just a bit of alcohol warmth at the end

O- This one nearly hit on all cylinders, but the overpowering sweetness made this one difficult to finish. Other than that, everything else was on point

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured a nice head with good lacing. The initial aroma was nice, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg with a hint of pumpkin.

The first thing you will notice after drinking this beer is the dry bitterness, unfortunately the bitterness overshadows all the spices and pumpkin flavors. After a few sips the caramel malts and smokey flavors tend to dominate this beer, as the dry bitterness lingers on your tongue. At this point it is hard to taste any pumpkin. Despite the strong bitterness I do not notice any hop arromas.

I have recently tasted about 12 different pumpkin beers, and this is definitely one of my least favorites, I would probably not buy this beer again, and would definitely not recommend it to my friends.

One positive note is the high alcohol content, I am presently surprised with the nice buzz after only drinking one bottle.

The main aspects of this beer that I taste in order of dominance are

1. Dry Bitterness
2. Caramel malts
3. Smokeyness
4. Cinnamon/clove
5. Nutmeg
6. Pumpkin

I have a nice buzz, so now I just need something else to rinse this taste out of my mouth

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

One of my bartender friends gave me a pint of this without telling me what it was. It tasted great and went down smooth as could be. A little bit of a burn in the mouth, but otherwise, a great drinking brew.

What I did notice halfway through my pint, was that I was starting to feel pretty fucked up. This was the giveaway that wasn't drinking a typical 'pumpkin spice' seasonal. I asked my friend what it was and told me it was The Fear, made by Flying Dog Brewery. So, I had another & it seriously kicked the shit out of me.

In summary, fantastic beer, but if you are driving, watch your intake because the ABV is twice your average seasonal. Or, have a designated driving and get ripped!

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Fear Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Flying Dog Brewery