The Fear Imperial Pumpkin Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by taylor714914 on 09-25-2011

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Deep brown with ruby highlights and a nice pale-tan head that settles slowly and leaves behind a satisfying lace. Uniquely dark for the style.

S- Aromas of nutmeg, cinnamon, a little allspice coupled with a nice, bready malt.

T- Nice and toasty for the style, with spices complementing, but not overwhelming the flavor.

M- Mouthfeel is nice and creamy; also refreshingly satisfying. Carbonation is just right.

Overall, I'm glad to have picked up a six-pack of this stuff. I wasn't even aware of this beer until tonight, and though I turned down a few other pumpkin ales (there are a lot nowadays) in favor of this label, I'm glad I chose this one.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a tulip.

Appearance: Very dark brown, with light bubbles on the body and a off white head that's roughly a quarter inch off the body.

Smell: Freakig potent pumpkin scent heavy nutmeg. Comes and goes not heavy stickiness but very good to inhale.

Taste: can you say pie Ina glass because that's what it tastes like, slightly creamy and heavy pumpkins and cinnamon. It's sweet with malts and brown sugar how can you go wrong.

Mouth: Sticky and smooth.

Overall: incredible purchase and best one of the night here at TJ Finleys, thank you for offering this gem. Salud!

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber in color, small head. Head gone in flash. Small wisps of lace also gone in an instant. Traditional pumpkin spice in the bouquet, not too strong just right. Good spice level up front in the taste, alcohol on the back end going down. Too strong, kills the enjoyability, nice mouth feel though. Getting better taste as it warms up here.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into 12 oz Brewer's Art goblet with a moderate hand. Admittedly, not my favorite style, but I do dig on Flying Dog in general.

A: Very nice. Rather dark amber, almost black when viewed straight on. Off-white head approximately 1 finger width. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells is good. Dark. Some indistinct pie spice and notable sweetness. Mild vanilla. Smells like a pumpkin beer. Better than most, but I would hope for a little extra oomph given it's "imperial" classification.

T: Sweet up front with a rapid transition to a hop bitterness which lingers. More hop than the average pumpkin beer for sure, but that's not an inherently bad thing. The expected pumpkin spice is certainly there, but a bit indistinct. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I swear I'm picking up some Old Bay in there. The first few sips were even a bit salty. It's unique, but I don't think it's really working for me. Tastes like 9% ABV.

M: Low to moderate carbonation. I think a few more bubbles would help this one out. A bit syrupy. Probably the low point.

O: Interesting take on an often underperforming style IMO. Spice profile is a bit off the beaten track and the hop factor is ramped up a bit. Not up there with the best I've had, but not bad. Worth a try, especially if you're a fan of the style.

4.27/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Orval tulip glass.

A: Thin head; good carbonation; dark cola color; decent lacing
S: nutmeg, pumpkin, caramel; inviting; awesome!
T: very satisfying; alcohol and spices (nutmeg, allspice) prominent; hops are very strong, providing lots complexity

Some reviewers complain about the abundant hops, but I find that a huge asset in a pumpkin beer (a style I tend not to prefer). It's superior to Dog Fish Head's Pumpkin, which is overly spiced, way too sweet and tastes like a ginger snap cookie.

2.86/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

First, let me say that I'm not a fan of IPAs. What does this have to do with The Fear? You'll see.

Poured darker than most pumpkin ales. I like that. A decent head that didn't last but left some lacing.

Smelled really nice...the typical pumpkin pie spices that all the brewers use, but the malt aroma prevailed so that was a good thing. Got my expectations up, cause as you all know there are some shitty "pumpkin" beers out there this time of the year. Personally I usually have better luck with the Oktoberfests.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of the stuff Flying Dog puts out. The discontinued Horn Dog was one of my very favorites. So I def looked forward to tasting The Fear. Ever drink Cynar or some of those other Italian aperitifs like Campari? Do you like bitter? Than you'll love The Fear. And by the way, the 9 ABV is never noticeable thanks to the sea of bitter.

Otherwise stay clear. There are more friendly pumpkin beers out there.

The Fear Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Flying Dog Brewery