Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Disobedience | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Dubbel

Added by John_M on 04-13-2012

1.83/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a cork and cage 750 ml into a Belgian style goblet.
Bottle states "racked on April '12 no. 003"

A- pours a deep brown color with an abundance of carbonation. It pours almost like soda pop. Very poor head retention as the head dissipates faster than any dubbel I've ever seen. No lacing present.

S- very little aromas present. Extremely Subtle hint of maple syrup and I mean extremely...lacking in general aromas overall for an abbey dubbel style.

T- honestly...never thought I woul say this for a beer from flying dog, but it tastes bland...little to no flavor. I barely taste the malt due to the high level of carbonation. The Belgian yeast flavor is overpowered by the prickliness of the initial carbonation.

M- very prickly on the tongue and cheeks. Drowns out any flavor. Little to no sweetness from the malt. Does not really do anything for the palate.

O- not very impressive. The high carbonation is not characteristic of an abbey dubbel, nor is the overall flavor of the beer. It tastes
Quite bland. Flying dog is a solid brewery that has multiple brews that have impressed me over the years...this is not one of those brews...

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

2.98/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

750 ml poured into a Burley Oak snifter (On bottle: Racked on April '12 and No. 003)

A: Pours a single 1 finger white head and you can see a fair amount of bubbles breaching the surface. A nice deep dark brown color. The cork was hard to get out and opened with a LOUD POP.

S: Smells sweet and syrupy, with hints of spice.

T: Just a tiny bit sweet with a hint of spice, but after that it quickly loses its flavors and gets quite watery. The aftertaste is quite plain and leaves something to be desired. I was expecting something that would be more flavorful and sweet with a nice solid spice to it. Its flavors just aren't as strong as I would like them to be.

M: Nice even carbonation throughout. Pretty bubbly. Just a bit coarse.

O: This seems to be my first rated dubbel but I don't think it is my first one. I was expecting a lot when I saw this on the shelf considered I hadn't heard of it (it was released before I got into beer), so I was surprised to find it. I asked the guy about it and he said they just got it and it would be fine for a while due to the bottle conditioning. Sadly, the flavors in this one were disobedient. It might have been the time, but I was expecting much more out of this one.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

I had a couple of twelve ounce pours of this at the Amsterdam Ale House in Manhattan's Upper WEst Side. Dubbel's are not my favorite style but as far as they go I liked this one.

Appearance is a dark/medium brown. Light brown head, about a finger's worth and some lacing left behind.

Aroma was of figs/dates. Some dark biscuit.

Flavor was a little on the sweet side but pretty complex overall. Fruit, malt, yeast.

Overall a pretty good dubbel.

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%

A= copper with an off-white head.

S= inviting hops, malts and Belgian yeasts.

T= unfortunately, my immediate and continuing impression was that this beer suffered from a fractured nationality-- it's much like a US IPA blended with a nice Belgian Dubel-- and it doesn't work at all for me. I was talking to a few other beer-heads around me and they totally agreed with my observations since they'd already tried the beer.

M= clash of the titans

O= an interesting attempt at creativity that unfortunately isn't ready for prime-time.

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Racked on: April '12
Slow pour into a standard pint glass.

A: It poured to about half-a-finger of fizzy, dark khaki head that disapated quickly. The brew is a dark copper color and opaque.

S: The aroma is mild. There is just a little sweet molassas and a bit of sweet dark roasted malt.

T: The taste is sweet molassas and dark rosted malt blended with a Belgian yeast funkiness.

M: It is smooth with a body that is medium to light.

O: A good Belgian double, but nothing that really stands out. The molassas sweetness combined with the Belgian yeast funk just did not work for me.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%

Racked on: April '12, No. 003. 750 ml into a Chimay goblet. I purchased this in Frederick, MD over the summer. Roughly 8 months old at this point.

A - Pours a clear but dark brown/red body. Fizzy one finger light tan head forms and disappears for some thick edging. Solid amount of lacing.

S - Plums and raisins, brown sugar, alcohol heavy yeast, caramelized banana, molasses and copper pennies. Not very well integrated.

T - Caramelized dark fruits lead into some bready malts. Brown sugar and spices with a mineral finish. Rich and earthy.

M - Perfect level of silky carbonation, medium bodied. Clean finish with some lingering yeast esters and alcohol burn.

O - Not a bad dubbel at all. A bit weak compared to the Belgians, but it does manage to capture some nice flavors and aromas. Awfully hot for a 7.6% beer.

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: small head on a murky brown, muddy body with no lacing really.

S: sweet dark fruits, mostly raisin and fig with some candy sugar and caramel.

T: lightly toasted and caramel malts, cinnamon, dark fruits. comes across and one dimensional and simple, carbonation distracting from the flavors. Little in the way of belgian yeast or other belgian character.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation, with a dry finish. I feel its bordering on too carbonated.

Overall: Not "belgian" enough for me. A little too carbonated and simple. Not a bad beer just not great.

Disobedience from Flying Dog Brewery