Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra) | Flying Dog Brewery

Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra)Single Hop Imperial IPA (Citra)

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by John_M on 07-06-2012

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle, I think I paid $2.79 but I'm just glad I did not purchase an entire six pack. Bright orange yellow color, good head, looks good. Aroma is muted hops and alcohol. Flavor is a bit of hops, not much bitterness at all and while the alcohol didn't really burn for such a big beer it was definitely noticeable in the flavor. Overall this was a very average showing and while they still sell beer here in CO at least we don't have to claim them as a Colorado brewery anymore. Mediocre.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

On cask at Max's the other day.

So, I guess this makes the forth and final version of the single hop DIPA's from flying dog. I wish I could say it was the best of the lot, but IMHO, it's just not.

The beer pours a slightly hazy, golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose I get considerable orange citrus, along a whole bunch of pine, light pepper and some light dank weed. This DIPA smells as if it will be fairly dry and quite boozy. Check on both counts, as I took my first sip. While there is a considerable amount of orange citrus in this beer, it's completely drowned out by the amount of pine I'm getting. Coupled with the nearly staggering amount of heat I'm getting on the finish from the alcohol in this beer, it was a chore just to choke down the sampe size glass I ordered at Max's. The finish is otherwise pretty dry, as the hoppy bitterness completely drowns out the initial sweet malt flavor sensation I got on my first sip. Mouthfeel is soft and fairly full, and the finish is long, but alcohol is so noticeable in this beer, it almost made me want to gag. In combination with the excessive pine flavor, this is just way too much of a good thing.

I don't know. Maybe this just isn't my style of DIPA, but normally I don't mind a goodly dollop of pine in my DIPA's. However, it just seemed overdone in this hoppy, bitter DIPA, and coupled with the noticeable alcohol, I just didn't like it.

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet.

The beer pours a fairly clear golden, copper color with a nice 2 fingers of cloudy, white head that has decent retention and leaves a nice web of soapy lace behind. The aroma is of sweet caramel malt, light citrus and fruity hops, a touch of pine but not much else, this is a massively malt forward nose that really hinders the citra hops. The flavors are very similar, lots of sweet malt, sugary alcohol, light citrus and fruit with a bit of floral character and a bit of pine. The body is thick, a bit chewy, with moderate to low carbonation that has a bit of a creamy finish that is hardly dry.

Verdict: A bit of a miss from Flying Dog, heavily malt forward that really doesn't let the Citra hop shine. The sweet and almost cloying malt bill and alcohol is really unappealing and the lack of complexity, balance and pizzaz renders this to be a boring IPA.

3.32/5  rDev -17.8%