St. Eadman Abbey Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Alströms:
3.5

Reviews by JohnnyMc:
4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Another rare beer from Flying Dog!!

Pours out a deep, hazy brown with a lot of ruby red highlights and a khaki head.

The aroma has a lot of raspberry/ cherry with some figs, raisins and plums along with toffee, caramel some molasses and a hint of white pepper.

The taste has a lot of tart cherry and raspberry notes up front followed by dark fruits like figs, plums and raisins that flows into some very sweet caramel and toffee notes. There is some white pepper spice and a bit of bready malt too.

The body is full and the mouthfeel is rich and creamy. The ABV is decently hidden with only a bit of warming as it goes down.

This is a nice American attempt at a Belgian Dark Ale, but it doesn't quite live up to the traditional style. Nice red and dark fruit notes, but the Belgian yeast is missing. Very nice beer and definitely worth trying.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle, sample from the brewery.

Dark reddish brown hue, good clarity and a decent looking head on top. Smells of banana taffy, toffee, faint clove, floral alcohol, and Portuguese sweet bread. Very warming, lots of esters and perhaps some fusel action here ... big breath of alcohol. Very sweet, sugary with suggestions of prunes and figs with a steely caramel back. Clove and some medicinal phenols show a bit of a Belgian yeast flare. A bit too much, especially for a beer that is only 8.3% ... I was thinking 12% here.

I got to try this puppy stright from the tap at the Flying DOg Brewery after the tour. I was eager to try this one as it is a rareity. I didn't think they bottled this but judging from the only other reivew I guess they do. The St. Edman's tap was labeled as no.009.

I like Belgians personally so this was another plus. It pour dark, very dark but no as dark as a stout. Had a mix of brown in thrown together with black. No too much head at the top. Upon first wiff you defintely get a sense of the Belgian yeast notes which give off a fruity scent. It's not the typical citrus belgian note, but more of a darker fruit type, raisin/plum. Slightly bitter upon the tasting but similiar to other belgian beers with respect to fruit notes. It's strays from the normal ipas and seems to have a lower bitterness than the other they produce.

I wish I could get my hands on a few bottles of this for further review, but was limited to a sampling. 10% abv is a heavy hitter so you will be aware of the alcohol content in the beer. I bought a growler at the brewery but since it's a rareity they would not let me fill it up with this batch.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.44/5  rDev -36.3%

S: Fruity esters, rich figs, brown sugar, dates, raisin bread, slight phenolics

L: Brown, slightly opaque, carbonated light tan head that dissipates to a bubbly surface.

T: Fruity, dark fruit malt with slight bready sweetness. Earthy, slightly herbal medium bitterness with some deep alcohol warmth. Finishes fairly dry with some slight residual dark fruit.

M: Medium bodied, medium high carbonation, alcohol warming.

Not impressed, very boozy and not very complex. Too bad, i love Ralph Steadman.

This beer reminds me more of a flanders oud bruin. Hazed brown color with a fluffy quick dyeing tan head. Smells vinous with a bit of vinegar and some fruity belgian undertones.

Full body with low amounts of carbonation. A little thin on the finish.Sweet sherry and port like notes up front, faintly woody, with a definitive vinegar taste throughout. Finishes acidic with faint belgian yeast notes and a bit of alcohol heat. Long finish but overall the beer has good balance. Very acidic and again, very flander oud bruin with belgian dark ale notes beneath it all. As an oud bruin this beer is awesome. As a belgian dark ale not so much. But I really feel this beer should be re-categorized.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle: Poured a clear dark brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and no lacing. Aroma of dry fruits with some caramelized malt notes and loads of residual sugars. Taste is also dominated by dark fruit with some plums notes with light unrefined caramelized malt with load of residual sugar. Body is not as full as I would have expected with medium-to-low carbonation and some warming alcohol noticeable. Too unbalanced for my taste with too much residuals sugars and almost no attenuation.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Ba Review #247
Served On: 12/13/2012
Glassware: Flying Dog Tasting Glass
Labeled ABV: 10.0%
Date/ Code: 2012 Release

Had this on tap at the Flying Dog taproom during a recent tour of the brewery.

Look: Arrived fairly dark with a small cap of beige lacing on top. Carbonation level seemed high. Some transparency was noticeable through the ruby red color of the brew.

Smell: Mellow dark fruits and some sweet candied apple and peppery notes.

Taste: First was the dark fruits from the nose mixed with some lighter pear juice notes. The middle seemed to have a slightly earthy and nutty character, maybe from some flavoring hops? Then the finish was more of the fruity sweetness with a slight Belgian twang that lingered. No real clove or spice was present as with most Belgian style beers.

This beer really completed the amazing experience I had touring Flying Dog. Their staff really knew their beers and how each of them were brewed. The tour guide even let the group taste Snake Dog IPA from kettle to keg. I felt that was one of the best parts. You folks have to tour this brewery if ever in the Mid Atlantic area.

Poured from the bottle into a Flying Dog goblet glass.

Nice dark simple body color. Dark mahogany brown with some copper red highlights. Some light and clarity to the edges, and not totally opaque. Creamy light tan topped head, settles to a good thick collar with a good thin bubbly top and puck.

Good simple basic aroma. Light candied sugars, a bit of hinting milk chocolate and caramel. Gets strangely into some slight coffee territory on the nose as well, but seems to be dominant in a good molasses like smell.

Very nice palate. Very light bodied with a simple dark malt backbone. Hints a little brown sugar and cream, but some light acidic touches. Creamy hints of coffee and vanilla with a little bit of bitterness on the end. Good amount of tangy almost tart molasses quality. Hints a little fruity quality as well.

Nice dark Belgian style brew.

2.41/5  rDev -37.1%

I was served this beer tonight at a bar in a flying dog goblet. I want to start off by saying that I absolutely love every Belgian beer I've ever drank, which is to say, many, and I also like every other flying dog beer I've ever had, which is also many, so I must say I was very disappointed in this beer.

A: Very dark. Had a strong reddish purple tinge to it. Maybe a finger of head.

S: Smells yeasty, but mostly a strong fruity/grapey smell to it.

T: There's a bit of a yeasty, bitter taste at first, but that quickly gives way to fruity esters. It tastes like a mix of 80% grape kool-aid with 20% cherry cough syrup. LIke seriously I drank it and immediately turned to my girlfriend and said " what the f***, this tastes like grape kool-aid. Try it." And she did and agreed with me completely.

M: Quite sweet. Not too heavy for a 10% ABV brew.

O: Unless you like to mix your beer with grape kool-aid, I would not recommend this beer. I mean I will admit that I have never drank any other beer that tastes like this before-- it is very unique, so if you're like me and you don't want to stop drinking beer until you've tried everything, give it a try, but don't get your hopes up.

4.06/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.46/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So the bottle I have might be a re-release as the label is slightly different than the one shown below and it says St.EADman Abbey Ale on the label without the Brewhouse Rarities at the top and now listed at 8.7% instead of 10%. Maybe its re-released as a seasonal. Really nice dark purple appearance with small 1 finger head. Really nice aroma of dark fruits, cracker, grain etc. Blends very nicely. Taste is quite excellent with a really tasty balance of dark fruit sweetness with slight tartness of berries noticed and its not boosy or syrupy at all. T

Flying Dog did really well with this one. Alot of subpart big Belgian beers made out there, but this one is a credible one and crafted quite well.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.41/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I keep adding Flying Dog bottles to my inventory! Man, those guys are the dictionary definition of "prolific"! This will be the third or fourth horizontal that I have conducted of their offerings since I embarked on the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody.

From the bottle: "Self-Portrait"; "Don't draw, Ralph! It's a filthy habit. - HST Luckily, Ralph didn't listen to him ... that time."

I remember the first time that I read HST, illustrated by St. Eadman. I was in Deck Department on the USS Fulton (AS-11) in our illustrious homeport of New London, CT & only Norfolk could have been worse for a single sailor who was not even old enough to legally drink. I spent a LOT of time across the Thames River in Groton, going to the movies & haunting a local used book store. One of my shipmates suggested "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" and when I saw a copy, I snapped it up, quickly becoming a fan. I loved the crazy, bizarre Ralph Steadman art & when Flying Dog began incorporating his works onto their labels, I was sold.

I was sold this bottle during my most recent foray to Dominion Pizza on Columbia Avenue. It has been nicely chilled overnight in my reefer while I toiled in dispatch for a local taxi company & the time had come to Pop! the cap & begin a gentle pour into an awaiting glass. Following this procedure was an in-glass swirl which raised a brief finger of foamy, rocky, light-tan head with modest retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was bready with a sweetness of dried dark fruits, all adding up to holiday/Christmas fruit cake! Mmmm. Fruit cake has a bad rep, but I like it and this beer made me want to dive right in. Mouthfeel was big & full, like a dollop had been scooped onto my tongue. I allowed it to just lay there while I soaked in its warming alcohol, its fruitiness, its bready/cakelike tastes. Man, this was really tasty! The bottle has a freshness date of 08.24.17, but I wonder how well it might age. There was a perceptible fusel alcohol heat involved in this one and that might just smooth out over time. Still, it was fine fresh, also. In fact, it was a little too good as it was going down fairly quickly, but I am sure that the late, great Doctor & St. Eadman would have it no other way. Finish was dry, mainly due to the heat, but it might smooth out over time. I remain curious about it all.

4.25/5  rDev +11%