Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

St. Eadman Abbey Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by Hopfenpeter on 11-21-2012

3.5

2.41/5  rDev -37.4%

I was served this beer tonight at a bar in a flying dog goblet. I want to start off by saying that I absolutely love every Belgian beer I've ever drank, which is to say, many, and I also like every other flying dog beer I've ever had, which is also many, so I must say I was very disappointed in this beer.

A: Very dark. Had a strong reddish purple tinge to it. Maybe a finger of head.

S: Smells yeasty, but mostly a strong fruity/grapey smell to it.

T: There's a bit of a yeasty, bitter taste at first, but that quickly gives way to fruity esters. It tastes like a mix of 80% grape kool-aid with 20% cherry cough syrup. LIke seriously I drank it and immediately turned to my girlfriend and said " what the f***, this tastes like grape kool-aid. Try it." And she did and agreed with me completely.

M: Quite sweet. Not too heavy for a 10% ABV brew.

O: Unless you like to mix your beer with grape kool-aid, I would not recommend this beer. I mean I will admit that I have never drank any other beer that tastes like this before-- it is very unique, so if you're like me and you don't want to stop drinking beer until you've tried everything, give it a try, but don't get your hopes up.

2.44/5  rDev -36.6%

S: Fruity esters, rich figs, brown sugar, dates, raisin bread, slight phenolics

L: Brown, slightly opaque, carbonated light tan head that dissipates to a bubbly surface.

T: Fruity, dark fruit malt with slight bready sweetness. Earthy, slightly herbal medium bitterness with some deep alcohol warmth. Finishes fairly dry with some slight residual dark fruit.

M: Medium bodied, medium high carbonation, alcohol warming.

Not impressed, very boozy and not very complex. Too bad, i love Ralph Steadman.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.9/5: Unpleasantly stanky on the nose, but it tastes decent by style standards; alcohol is well hidden

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottle: Poured a clear dark brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and no lacing. Aroma of dry fruits with some caramelized malt notes and loads of residual sugars. Taste is also dominated by dark fruit with some plums notes with light unrefined caramelized malt with load of residual sugar. Body is not as full as I would have expected with medium-to-low carbonation and some warming alcohol noticeable. Too unbalanced for my taste with too much residuals sugars and almost no attenuation.

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: dark brownish red; one-finger head; good carb stream
S: Spritelike; metal aroma; not very appealing
T: Lambic quality; malty, not hoppy; something close to a Euro strong, with the booziness to match

Despite the lackluster flavor, this proved a really fantastic experience, mainly because of the distinctive character

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.35/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle, sample from the brewery.

Dark reddish brown hue, good clarity and a decent looking head on top. Smells of banana taffy, toffee, faint clove, floral alcohol, and Portuguese sweet bread. Very warming, lots of esters and perhaps some fusel action here ... big breath of alcohol. Very sweet, sugary with suggestions of prunes and figs with a steely caramel back. Clove and some medicinal phenols show a bit of a Belgian yeast flare. A bit too much, especially for a beer that is only 8.3% ... I was thinking 12% here.

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

When I heard about this beer being released I was stoked that Ralph Steadmen was finally getting his own beer from Flying Dog. After designing countless labels for the brewery I was really glad to see this beer being released in his honor.

I managed to find some of these at my local shop recently and I nearly shit when I say the price tag on it. I knew this would be a once and done kind of beer. It poured out as a nice brown color with a thin cream colored head on too. The retention and lacing were moderate. The smell was earthy and a little spicy, there was a subtle bready sweetness in there too. The taste of the beer didn't have as much depth as I was hoping for. It was malty, with some earthy spice in the finish. The taste is a little one dimensional. The mouthfeel was a little on the bland side too, it could have had more body and a bit more carbonation. Overall it's still a decent beer, if you can find it cheap enough I'd say try it but with a $21 tag on it I can't justify that.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap:
Pours a deep brown - closing in on, but obviously not black. Head is beige and sits in a very thick ring - one that extended across the glass for the first few sips. Sparse lace.

Nose is dry date bread with raisins, a little cola note, all mild.

Taste has a little more tang, more plum but also raisin. An earthy cola note seems separate from the light sweetness in the beer, overall. Back end has a light date aspect, and there's a little bite from carbonation, it seems. The beer feels a little high on this aspect, and isn't as rich as my favorite abbey ales (though not too bad for a straight BDSA).

Flavors were ok, but the feel didn't work for me, and the nose was somewhat subtle. Really the feel was the main culprit, I think, to my indifference towards this offering.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

St. Eadman Abbey Ale from Flying Dog Brewery