The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale) | Flying Dog Brewery

The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale)The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale)

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Titans77 on 08-03-2013

4.1

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

FULL DISCLOSURE: I just conducted a small horizontal of Flying Dog's beers back in mid-January & The Truth is that a) I want to keep current & b) I have a raging hops jones that is causing the (usually quiet) monkey on my back to begin screeching & howling like a f**king banshee. How do heroin junkies do it? I am itchy, scratchy, my nose is running, my eyes are watering ... Oh, wait, that might be seasonal allergies. Still, I wants me some hops & that's the double-Truth, Ruth!

From the bottle: "FULL DISCLOSURE: This beer came to fruition because we saw a gap in our portfolio and we wanted to increase our market share."; "I do solemnly swear".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution and my Lenten denial. Aggro pours from bottles are now (mostly) a thing of the past. I am really coming to embrace a vigorous in-glass swirl since it is much less likely to bungle things up. Up, up, up came the two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention before falling away to wisps. Parting is such sweet sorrow. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very bitter and grapefruit-citrusy & suddenly I felt like everything was going to be okay. I was talking to my uncle about Thomas DeQuincey's "Confessions of an Opium Eater" the other day & it occurred to me that I should pen "Confessions of a Hophead". Mouthfeel was medium, but for a DIPA, I felt that it needed to be just a little more full & solid. The taste, while hoppy, was not hoppy enough to suit me. It seemed a bit muted and yet it was a fresh bottle, dated 07.16.17. Hmm. It had a decent grapefruit citrusy bitterness, but somehow it lacked the Ooomph! that I so desperately craved. Oh well. Finish was dry and bitterly hoppy, but I just wasn't feeling it on this one.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Definitely potent IPA.

A = golden amber, very clean and clear, pours with a modest white foamy head which quickly dissipates to some rimming and lacing.

S = I'm not finding as much nose as I'd expected but it's nice malts and whiffs of grass. It's gradually emerging as the beer warms a bit from its refrigeration prison.

T = ultra bitter, yet a slight sweetness in the finish. Very nicely balanced for being as enunciated in its potent flavors. This must rate over 100 on the bitterness scale. The malts are very dry and seem to be the primary source of the bitterness.

F = I don't see much carbonation other than a few tiny bubbles rising from the bottom, but this sure is causing a gastro uprising! My lips are puckering and yet there's this sweet-bitter effect in the rear of each cheek and gums.

O = Creative.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

Nice slightly hazy amber tinged gold look with an off white head. Piney, melon and citrus on the nose of this beer. Nice scent. Nice flavor where the citrus and pine blends with the malt well. Slight alcohol and astringency in the aftertaste. Smooth almost creamy mouthfeel but with high carbonation.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured the 12oz bottle into a teku glass

Another great offering from Flying dog, this America IPA is delicious and drinkable.

I purchased this one in Europe ~3€

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Piney hops wirh citrus burst forth from this tastey double. Pours gold with white head and nice lacing. Aroma and flavor are on par. Medium bodied with nice stick your reseiny finish. I could drink this for days.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

The best Flying Dog beer I've ever had. Pours clean. Nice golden color. Head reduces relatively quickly. Generous helping of pine on the nose with some citrus. Taste is also imbued with pine and citrus. At 9% ABV it'll knock your socks off, but you wouldn't know it by drinking it. Pairs well with sharp cheddar, roast beef, horseradish. Well worth the money, and I'd buy it again...and again.

4.02/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

A really outstanding DIPA with an excellent nose of pine, citrus and stone fruits, 8.7% ABV and a beautifully complex flavor. There is sweet malt and a finish that will have you seeking a second--and a third. Beautiful clear golden color with a head that fades to a coating. If you can find it, get it.

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The best IPA I've had to date. Smooth and refreshing. Great for either summer or winter.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bitter with definite sweetness at finish. far exceeded my expectations

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy maize color. 3/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong citrus hops, strong spicy hops, hint of resin, tea, and slight sweet malt. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with a high carbonation level. There is also a strong bitterness. Tastes of strong citrus hops, strong spicy hops, hint of floral slight alcohol, hint of resin, tea, and slight sweet malt. Overall, good appearance, aroma, complexity, blend, and body, but too carbonated.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Literally one of the best ipas I've had to date. The taste is sweet and malty, yet bitter and resinous in the most complimenting way. The malt has a biscuit taste, the hops taste like slight pineapple and also a touch of seeet grapefruit. Maybe even a little bit of a white grape flavor? Maybe that's just me. Overall, I highly recommend. Be careful because the 8.7%abv is very well masked. Cheers!

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [3.50] The bottle lists the ABV (8.7%). It also has a best by date (03/26/2017). The beer is a transparent amber color and has a tiny amount of white head. Looks a little anemic in the glass.

S: [3.75] Lemon rind, pine resin, pineapple, grape skins.

T: [3.75] Orange zest, pine resin, crackers, slight toffee. The hop balance brings nice flavor without too much bitterness.

M: [3.75] Nice heft to the body and medium carbonation. Overall if feels sturdy. There is nothing lingering late other than a hint of the orange rind - but no real feel.

O: [3.75] This is a solid DIPA. The nose and the flavor both deliver hops without going overboard and making it a bitter bomb. There are some malt flavors to help balance everything. With the nice body it is just an overall solid beer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

3.31/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%