Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale) | Flying Dog Brewery

The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale)The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale)
4.1/5
Exceptional
The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale)The Truth Imperial IPA (India Pale Ale)

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Titans77 on 08-03-2013

3.9

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

L: A dark amber yet transparent color. 1 and 1/4 finger foam head that goes away quickly. Lacing stays nicely
S: Piney and citrus galore, a bit of the spice in the back of the nose. Floral scents but nothing overwhelming.
T: Pine and citrus with that subtle spice. Really rolls on the tongue. Not an overwhelming amount of bitterness for an imperial ipa. Great taste.
F: Crisp taste that doesn't linger long. Bitterness is felt but like an IPA should
O: Quality beer

4.06/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Cloudy medium golden copper pour. 1.5 fingers of foamy white head. Falls fast and leaves great lacing.

S: Grapefruit and citrus... resinous hops and a bit of spice.

T/F: Strong rich malt base with a nice bitter hop profile. Really nice citrus notes... hits the grapefruit nicely, mixed with some pine and spice. Peppery and oily on the tongue. Finish is bittersweet. Medium bodied and well carbonated. Warming.

O: A well above average DIPA from Flying Dog. Great hop profile, love the bitterness, and one that is an easy everyday type IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look - golden yellow color with slight head that went away, pretty clear
Smell - strong piney lemon bitterness
Taste - very similar to the scent, piney citrus lemon but Also with a great slightly Carmel malt backbone
Feel - medium syrup body with a tingly carb even though the carb isn't that high
Overall- pretty darn good

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Flying Dog comes through again. The Truth is a fine beer. Besides the look , the smell and the taste, the price point on an imperial IPA is unbelievable. This has everything onebwould expect in a great product. Great citrusy piney taste with a hint of sweetness on the back end. By far I am a fan of this product and a fan of this brewery. Great beer that comes in at a great price.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

FULL DISCLOSURE: I just conducted a small horizontal of Flying Dog's beers back in mid-January & The Truth is that a) I want to keep current & b) I have a raging hops jones that is causing the (usually quiet) monkey on my back to begin screeching & howling like a f**king banshee. How do heroin junkies do it? I am itchy, scratchy, my nose is running, my eyes are watering ... Oh, wait, that might be seasonal allergies. Still, I wants me some hops & that's the double-Truth, Ruth!

From the bottle: "FULL DISCLOSURE: This beer came to fruition because we saw a gap in our portfolio and we wanted to increase our market share."; "I do solemnly swear".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a gentle pour, in keeping with my New Year's Resolution and my Lenten denial. Aggro pours from bottles are now (mostly) a thing of the past. I am really coming to embrace a vigorous in-glass swirl since it is much less likely to bungle things up. Up, up, up came the two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention before falling away to wisps. Parting is such sweet sorrow. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very bitter and grapefruit-citrusy & suddenly I felt like everything was going to be okay. I was talking to my uncle about Thomas DeQuincey's "Confessions of an Opium Eater" the other day & it occurred to me that I should pen "Confessions of a Hophead". Mouthfeel was medium, but for a DIPA, I felt that it needed to be just a little more full & solid. The taste, while hoppy, was not hoppy enough to suit me. It seemed a bit muted and yet it was a fresh bottle, dated 07.16.17. Hmm. It had a decent grapefruit citrusy bitterness, but somehow it lacked the Ooomph! that I so desperately craved. Oh well. Finish was dry and bitterly hoppy, but I just wasn't feeling it on this one.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Definitely potent IPA.

A = golden amber, very clean and clear, pours with a modest white foamy head which quickly dissipates to some rimming and lacing.

S = I'm not finding as much nose as I'd expected but it's nice malts and whiffs of grass. It's gradually emerging as the beer warms a bit from its refrigeration prison.

T = ultra bitter, yet a slight sweetness in the finish. Very nicely balanced for being as enunciated in its potent flavors. This must rate over 100 on the bitterness scale. The malts are very dry and seem to be the primary source of the bitterness.

F = I don't see much carbonation other than a few tiny bubbles rising from the bottom, but this sure is causing a gastro uprising! My lips are puckering and yet there's this sweet-bitter effect in the rear of each cheek and gums.

O = Creative.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

Nice slightly hazy amber tinged gold look with an off white head. Piney, melon and citrus on the nose of this beer. Nice scent. Nice flavor where the citrus and pine blends with the malt well. Slight alcohol and astringency in the aftertaste. Smooth almost creamy mouthfeel but with high carbonation.

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured the 12oz bottle into a teku glass

Another great offering from Flying dog, this America IPA is delicious and drinkable.

I purchased this one in Europe ~3€

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Piney hops wirh citrus burst forth from this tastey double. Pours gold with white head and nice lacing. Aroma and flavor are on par. Medium bodied with nice stick your reseiny finish. I could drink this for days.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

The best Flying Dog beer I've ever had. Pours clean. Nice golden color. Head reduces relatively quickly. Generous helping of pine on the nose with some citrus. Taste is also imbued with pine and citrus. At 9% ABV it'll knock your socks off, but you wouldn't know it by drinking it. Pairs well with sharp cheddar, roast beef, horseradish. Well worth the money, and I'd buy it again...and again.

4.02/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

A really outstanding DIPA with an excellent nose of pine, citrus and stone fruits, 8.7% ABV and a beautifully complex flavor. There is sweet malt and a finish that will have you seeking a second--and a third. Beautiful clear golden color with a head that fades to a coating. If you can find it, get it.

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The best IPA I've had to date. Smooth and refreshing. Great for either summer or winter.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bitter with definite sweetness at finish. far exceeded my expectations

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%