Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale
Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale
Score:
Ranked #1,790
4.21 | pDev: 12.11%
From:
Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Avail:
Reviews: 351 | Ratings: 485 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by jim102864:
jim102864 from Connecticut

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

From the moment I unrapped the foil, I knew this was going to be something exceptional. First time I've come accross a brew that was both bottle capped and corked so that a corkscrew was necessary. The cork was simply drenched in sticky candied sugar which was a spectacular first glimpse of what was to come. At first, I thought this was a traditional chocolate brown brew, but once I brought it up to the light I was amazed to find a ruby red elixir with specks of yeast, like a snowstorm in a glass. Wow. The head was modest following the pour, but foamy traces were found with each swirl of the glass. Very surprinsing appearance and just another indicator that this was one unique Belgian. The smell of sweet candied sugar was very pronounced in the nose with aged strawberries and other like-fruit. This is an expressive nose moreso than any other I can remember. So far, I love the aggressiveness of this beer. The taste was incredibly fruity. Strawberries again with cherries drenched in candied sugar and maple syrup. Alcohol was evident in the finish, but fruity sweetness preavailed. Mind you, the sweetness is strong, but in a very, very pleasant way. It's not sweet like a lambic. It's more like an aged port wine with perfect fruitiness and sweetness in harmony with one another. The mouthfeel is viscous and chewy. The beer bathes the tongue in a thick blanket of candied sugar and fruit. With each pull from my tulip glass, the aroma and taste made for an incredibly consumming sensory experience. Some alcohol notes in the finish but the fruit and sugar rule the day. This is an excellent, drinkable treat. So suprising in so many ways and so very worth it. Highly distinctive from all the rest and that is precisely what makes it worthwhile. I very much recommend it.

Apr 08, 2007
BuckeyeNation from Iowa

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Blood orange with ripe orange peel edges. A massive amount of carbonation can be seen leaping off the bottom of the glass and slamming into the underside of a fluffy, airy head of pale gold that is still massive several minutes after the pour. Unfortunately, the foam isn't tacky in the least and leaves almost no lace.

I'm much more impressed with the nose. It's dark fruity and spicy and is everything that I like about BSDAs. I smell whiskey and dark rum-soaked figs, caramel, brown sugar and clove intensive yeast. I'd almost believe that the beer was aged in charred oak barrels that had previously held bourbon, but that doesn't sound very monkish to me.

Triple Imperiale is good beer. Still though, I'm not sure that it belongs in the top-100. At least not in my top-100. I'm pretty sure the brewery has quality control issues; especially since my first two bottles (that were still more than a year away from their 'best by' dates) were drain pours due to a huge amount of coagulated protein.

The flavor profile follows the nasal profile. It's sweet and fruity (cherries now come to mind) and spicy, all at once. The most amazing thing is that there's no trace of alcohol, something that's almost unheard of in a 10%'er. Actually, the beer tastes aged rather than fresh. The 'best by' date (end 2008) would suggest that it's the latter.

The reason that I'm not gobsmacked by Triple Imperiale is that it lacks depth and complexity. It doesn't have that dizzying array of flavors that expand in all directions when beer hits mouth, as the truly world-class versions have. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the 11.2 ounce bottle though. I never said that it isn't good, just that it isn't great.

The mouthfeel may be the biggest reason why I think 'aged' every time I drink. It's infinitely smooth, but lacks that expansiveness and silky creaminess that I look for in Belgian beer. In addition, it isn't as viscous as I'd expect for the amount of sweetness. It looks like all those frenetic bubbles burned themselves out way too soon.

Given that others have been floored by this Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs offering, I'm prepared to believe that I got a less than perfect bottle. The problem is, there are any number of great BSDAs out there that are stunning each and every time I pop the cap. I'll try another bottle or two, but I'm not interested in playing Belgian roulette too many more times.

Jan 05, 2007
allengarvin from Texas

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

This very cloudy brown beer, poured into a wide-mouthed chalice, boasts a small but thick and creamy head. Nose is fairly malty, tending to caramel, together with a rich red fruitiness. Very nice flavor, with more emphasis on malt than many Belgians--caramelish, toffee flavors are present right at the front. Fruity esters make up a large part of the taste component, with notes of raisins and roasted cherries. There's also a nice yeasty spiciness, maybe with a hint of licorice, at the finish. Very tasty, one of the best offerings from the brewery.

Sep 21, 2007
Kopfschuss from Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Aug 19, 2013
orbitalr0x from Illinois

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

From notes from a bottle shared with kmpitz2 on 4-30-05. Deep brownish red pour with a big, airy, bubbly three finger head that lasts. Some awesome sticky lacing decorates the side of the glass. Bright red tones emerge when it's held up to the light. First sniff brings an interesting aroma of brown sugar, caramel and a mix of light fruit tones. A background spiciness of clove and a hint of pepper. Earthy, slightly funky yeast....maybe even some leather in there.

First sip brings a big brown sugar / caramel maltiness with a healthy dose of fruit (grape, apple), even a hint of sour fruit. A mellow spiciness is there along with a wonderful Belgian earthy yeast tone. A slight hint of alcohol peeks through on the way down and I get a hint of leather in the flavor as well. Simply an awesome brew..so tasty and complex. Sweet...but not at all overpowering.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a good mellow carbonation. So easy to drink and quite a treat. I will be waiting patiently for the next time I'll be able to sample this brew. Definetly recommended. Go. Buy. Drink.

May 19, 2005
ryanonline from Florida

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

pours a deep brown that lets very little light through, and has an nice big tan head. excellent lacing.

smell of raisins, figs, and chocolate. (I'm having some major allergies tonight and my sense of smell is almost gone)

taste is much more chocolate than anything but there is a sweetness to it can't really place it.

lovely creamy body with moderate carbonation, slight oily viscosity to it. exceptional.

drinkable by all means. might be a little heavy on the tummy after a few of them though, but at 10% abv (masked very well) you don't need to many.

two thumbs up.

Dec 09, 2009
santoslhalper from Pennsylvania

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearence: Pours an absolutely stunning ruby red with tons of suspended floaties. Strange because it's been sitting upright, nd perfectly stll, for almost a month now. Oh well, still looks attractive as hell, with a huge, bubby beige head.

Smell: Apricots. Peaches. Sugar. Alcohol. Coriander. Oranges. Apples. Yeast. Oak. You get the point, phenomenally complex and lucious smelling. Every sip opens up more nuances. Easily one of the better smelling Belgian Darks I've ever had.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Unbelievale. An assload of flavorsexplode in your mouth (fruitiness, oak, coriander, orange peel, sweet sticky malts, just to name a few), and are in absolutely perfect, harmonious balance with each other. The flavors dance and play across your taste buds, as the beer flows down your throat. The flavors stay forever after you swlow, and the aftertaste is dam near a good as the beer itself. Complex as all hell. The mouthfeel is smooth, rich, creamy, and thick.

Drinkality ad Overall: Ok smack me in the face and call me your bitch. This is the shit I've been looking for. I recieved this during BIF17 from a very generous BA in Florida. Whatan absolutely breath taking beer. One of the better beers that has ever come across my lips. Bings back memories of Westy 12 and Rochefort 10, and is damn near as good. This beer proves the word trappist doesn't mean shit. This is real beer.

Jul 31, 2005
keithmurray from Connecticut

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - reddish mahogany color with tan head. Lots and lots of sediment floating around in this one.

Smell - toffee, nutmeg, raisin, clove, honey

Taste - raisin, nutmeg, toffee, yeast, clove, honey

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, higher level of carbonation, moderate sweetness, spice from the Belgian yeast

Overall - decent Belgian ale worth a try for fans of the style. The only drawback of this experience was the unsightly yeast suspension.

Price point- $10.95/750 ML bottle

Mar 08, 2015
texashammer from Texas

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark brown with ruby tones; fine suspended sediment; rocky resilient tan head. Smell is huge: super fruity, rich, caramel, very sweet like candy with raspberries and sweet potatoes. Mouthfeel is lighter than hoped. Taste was disappointing at first because so much smaller than the nose; but caught up, at warmer temperatures, with some rich, darker flavors like prunes and raisins. You can feel the warmer alcohol as you go on; drinkability is high, but this beer demands to be savored, with the rich flavors and the warming alcohol, so can't drink too quickly.

Oct 08, 2005
Mattgruv from Canada

Jul 03, 2013
morebeergood from Massachusetts

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Ordered a bottle of this last night at the Sunset Grille, and was poured into a tulip stemmed glass. I wanted to try an Tripel Imperiale, but the bottle also said it was a Strong Dark Ale. A confusing but new style to me (why not just call it a strong dark ale?), but honestly I thought it would look more like a tripel then a dubbel. That said, it had a nice brown color to it, and a lingering head. It tasted like any good Belgian dubbel or strong dark ale that I've had. I liked it, but wasn't blown away. For $7.99 a bottle, it was worth trying once but there are so many other Belgians out there that I haven't had yet...

Jul 19, 2007
lawrence76 from Massachusetts

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Tried a bottle of this with a friend after it came up on his "beer of the day" calender & neither of us had ever tried it.

It was a but dark for a triple (which is supposed to be how they were traditionally, I guess), dark orange to medium amber. Nice whipped foam of a head with good retention.

Smelled of earthy, belgiany, goodness...not as flowery as some triples can be.

Decent to big in the mouth - a little more body than I'm used to in a triple. A bit of a caramelized taste as well which I've never experienced with this style

Very good, not as drinkable as a westmalle or even the karmeleit, but delicious in its own unique way. I imagine this is what triples were like historically, before the movement to lighter, drier ales we are accustomed to

Jan 09, 2007
techdiver from Pennsylvania

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Best before end 2009.

Open this 750 up and foam out the top. Wasn't expecting that.

A cloudy chestnut pour with a massive head that took forever to recede.

Sweet malt, figs and molasses to the nose. Most inviting.

Taste is complex and well balanced with a caramelly smoothness beyond compare. Elements of nose repeated here. Alcohol perceptible faintly in the finish.

Medium bodied with some stickiness in the mouth.

Extremely drinkable, could replace Allagash Odyssey as my favorite BSDA.

Jun 08, 2007
BillyB from New Jersey

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a deep brown to burnt auburn, hazy, murky color. Huge, thick, rocky, off white head.

Strong alcohol aroma's without the strong alcohol taste. That is the brilliance of this beer. Aromas of sherry, alcohol, dark fruit, sweet cherries, muscat grapes (slightly winey) candy sugar, rum.

Taste is not of strong alcohol, despite the aroma. Caramel, darkfruit, sweet cherries, winey/muscat grapes, brown sugar and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but with huge flavor. Creamy, slightly dry.

Feb 23, 2007
acrawf6 from Louisiana

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

11.2 oz bottle, best before 2007 (?)

Pours out a rich dark earthy brown with a frothy tan head that rests for the whole beer. Unfortunately there are a few floaties.

Smell. An immediate fruity sweetness accompanied by lots of peppery spiciness. Fruits are prunes and currents- heavy fruits. Under that is a touch of earthy aromas, and deeper whiffs i get a strong scent of sweet caramel. Very nice.

Taste. A great combination of flavors here. At first i get a good amount of dry fruits, mostly prunes. Then there is an immediate yeast flavor and tart flavors. After a few seconds on my tongue, i get nice sweet flavors of caramel, then roasted malts really come out and gives a nice creaminess. Aftertaste is warming, little bit of peaches. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel. Surprisingly light, but creamy. Carbonation is at a perfect level for this particular beer - just enough to give it a kick to your tongue, but doesnt overflow the mouth. Normally i like lots of carbonation for this style, but it compliments the flavor peftectly.

Overall, one of the best beers i've had the pleasure of enjoying. It hides the 10% very nicely. Flavor is complex as any other. Just a great beer.

Nov 02, 2006
OriolesFan1008 from Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Mar 20, 2013
AlexJ from North Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Dark amber pour unleashes a dense, 2 fingers of whipped beige froth in my Gulden Draak tulip. Retention and lacing are impressive and lasting.

Aroma are a malty paradise of caramel, dark candi sugars, brown sugar, figs, dates, raisins, pinapple, and hints of berry. Big and sticky nose that literally wafts up from my chalice.

Flavor is centered around those chewy malts, highlighting scorched caramel, candi sugars, and molasses. There's a good deal of fruit in here too, dried figs, raisins, pinapple, apple, and dark berries. It touches upon sweetness, without actually getting there. Finish is almost dry with a beautiful hop addition that really rounds it out. Alcohol is expertly integrated into this fine brew. Dangerous drinkability!

Body is almost big, creamy, with a soft and velvety smooth mouthfeel. A real pleasure to sip. A 750 to myself is the perfect way to celebrate my 30th birthday.

Oct 06, 2005
tencents from Maryland

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

A-
A rich looking cloudy gray brown, more typical of a dubbel than a tripel. Head dissipated rather quickly.
S-
Very intense, lots of dried fruits, raisins, currents. Sharp, you can smell the alcohol.
T-
Very strong flavored. Same dried fruit that was in the aroma. The first taste is a bit harsh but mellowed as it aired. I should have poured this more carefully. As it got down to the bottom of the glass there were clumps of sediment (assuming yeast), which were very unappealing.
M-
Very full, creamy.
O-
A bit intense for my taste and certainly packs a wallop, which can be a good or bad thing. Definitely needs to sit a bit opened. Nevertheless an enjoyable "sipping" beer.

Apr 27, 2012
geexploitation from Indiana

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm amazed I was only recently introduced to this beer. I'm happy that I finally made the acquaintance. Pours with a huge tannish head and deep ruby brown body. Too dark to see through. Huge beet sugar nose, with some underlying raisin, but the overall impression the nose leaves is that this is gonna be one sweet beer. The taste is quite sweet, almost medicinally so. Lots of beet sugar up front, followed by dates and a hint of chocolate along with some bright fruit (pear, perhaps?). Very thick, sugary mouthfeel with pinpoint carbonation at the tip of the tongue. This is a sippin' beer all the way. It evolves over an evening, and each sip brings the desire to have another.

Overall, a wonderful beer. Highly recommended. I can't wait to try more from this brewery.

Feb 18, 2006
djrn2 from New Jersey

Nov 14, 2011
GClarkage from California

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

06/22/05- Purchased at Plumpjack Wines in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Undated 750ml bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark, maybe dark amber mohaganey pour with a fat creamy head and nice sticky lacing on the sides.

Smell- Fat amounts of dark ripe fruits. Plums, dates, figs, prunes, raisins, you name it.

Taste- More figs than anything. Maybe some fermented prunes and dates. Smooth and leaves a big time raisin aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium to light carbonation. Super smooth and creamy. Just floats down your throat.

Drinkability- I think I will need to re-try St. Bernadrus tripel. This one may take the cake. I haven't had Westy 8 yet, but I have a feeling that it may resemble or possibly be better than this. Although, this was pretty damn incredible. Will be one of my "12" beers I take on my honeymoon in September.

Jun 23, 2005
cowboy83 from New York

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Dec 18, 2012
guitarmage from Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: The murkiest of browns with yellow hues, creamy tan lacing. It looks like something I'd like to pour on ice cream.

Smell: Rum alcohol, brown sugar and molasses, lots of maltiness but actually mellowed out by some herbal or grassiness.

Taste: Dark chocolate, brown sugar syrup, lots of sweetness, but it's smooth and mellow, alcohol is miminal, finishes a little citrusy, doesn't leave anything on the palette.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and cool and lightly carbonated, has a way of making itself disappear into my belly, the easiest of mouthfeels to consume.

Drinkability: I want more of this one, it's one of the best. It seems especially drinkable for the style, I kept sipping at it, wanting to taste it again and again. Thumbs up.

Feb 07, 2007
ThatWineGuy from Canada

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

Biegaman offered to share this with me, two years past its BB date. Did not gush on opening as expected but was chock full of suspended tofu-like particles that muddied the amber/brown liquid despite the slow controlled pour. Fleeting tan head, thick solid ring remained, some lacing in sheets easily regenerated with a swirl that featured small-bubble clusters at the centre. Small bubble carbonation hidden in the murky haze but continued to drift upwards. Smell of caramel, sweet molasses, brown sugar, yeast. Taste is caramel, sweet dark fruit, raisins, figs, bitter, touch of sour, long drawn out finish with alcohol weighing in with a warming affect, although not offensive considering the ABV. Overall, a good representation of the style I think but the floaters are a bit of a turn off.

Apr 12, 2009
ypsifly from Michigan

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

750 capped and corked. The date on the back label was a bit smudged, but it appears to read best by '07 if not '09. Either way I'm good.

Poured into a chalice. Dark brown with a 2" head of tan that has great retention and lacing effect. Rocky until it drops to a layer of foam that stays till the last swallow.

Has strong, yet pleasant aromas of belgian yeast and some spice and citric notes. Fruity sugars jump into the mix. There's some floral underneath as well. The alcohol is well hidden.

The taste is an incredible mix of dried dark fruits, bread, bananas, toffee and other dark sugary treats. The whole thing works beautifully as this is an exhibition of how balanced a beer can be. As it warms the notes change a little, but only a touch of alcohol comes through.

Nice velvety mouthfeel. Different tactile sensations on the tongue. The back gets a little dry, but in a good way.

A beer that scores high in the first four catagories is one that is very drinkable despite a high abv.

Highly recommended for sure!

Apr 04, 2005
Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.
Beer rating: 93 out of 100 with 485 ratings