Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale | Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.
abbaye-des-rocs.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004

Reviews: 342 | Ratings: 467
3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 1 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a snifter, best before 05/08/2013

A: Pours a hazy light amber with a finger of off white head. The head quickly recedes to a ring. The first pour brought a beer full of flakey sediment. It was a bit odd and really gross. The flakes originally dispersed through the bee from a slight gusher, but a couple of hours recapped with a carb saver let the sediment settle.

S: Quite musty with orange zest, figs, and a bit of anise.

T: Similar to the aroma, except a bit more spicy and sweet. I get nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, and figs. A tad astringent.

M: Medium thickness for the style with creamy carbonation.

O: This was the ugliest beer I've ever seen on the first pour, and every pour dispersed the sediment. That alone brought the score down a lot. Other than that, there is a decent balance between fruity sweetness and spices.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

750 mL bottle tried 19 Jan 2008.

Very tight large rosy white head. Well carbonated, effervescent. Cloudy with lots of particulates, deep brown with hints of garnet. Smells of tart cherries, oranges, mineraly. Starts sweet and resiny, some rum and raisin that is not present in aroma. Aftertaste is of bittersweet chocolate. Medium heavy body.

Decent but expected a bit more.

3.46/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Yeah, that's right, this is the Emperor's tripel, boy! Anyway, this stuff pours a mostly clear sunset bronze-amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. Some floaties show up, but nothing much to speak of. The nose comprises plenty of dark fruits (primarily figs, though some dates shine through as well), Belgian yeast, clove, light cinnamon, candied orange peel, and good amount of sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, leading with the spices, then into a sweeter version of the fruits, then a strong wave of caramel, biscuit, and booze. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a nice tripel, but the booze is a touch off-putting, and it comes across more like a spicy BSDA than a tripel, but it still ain't bad.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Served from tap into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky light brown with tons of sediment with a two finger khaki colored head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, and raisins. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, raisins, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation which reminded me of a thin milkshake. Overall this was a decent brew. At first this one was a little off-putting due to all of the sediment present in it. Even with all of the sediment present in this glass the flavor and aroma on this one was still quite nice. There was a ton of dark fruit going on here, specifically raisin. This was definitely the factor that made this brew enjoyable. Definitely worth trying with or without the sediment.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This had a best buy date of 2008!! So, it is an OLD beer. Obviously, had this for quite a while...don't exactly recall how long. I haven't rated much in a long time...but figured a beer this old deserved my respect [opened to share with my daughter on her 21st B'day]

A: Dark brown. Not much carbonation. Minimal head. Lots of chunky yeast floating.

S: Aroma of dark fruits, malts, brown sugar.

T: Raisins, figs, and heavy on the prune. Malts.

M: Somewhat flat. Lifeless.

O: Obviously, the years have taken its toll on this brew [as they have on me too!]. Probably should have opened this one 5+ years ago. But, still fun to open an old beer and see what time has done. Worth the try...and will probably push me to start drinking some other of my older brews.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

I really thought the bartendress brought me the wrong beer when I took a whiff and then a sip of this beer. It is not like a Triple in any way, but I guess it's "imperial," so you can do what you want with it. This beer is cerealy and sweet, which is a flavor I tend to avoid/dislike, but in this case it is carried off reasonably well. Still, mixed feelings on this one and I wouldn't call it a favorite of mine.

It poured a muddy brown with a medium head. Aroma is very malted-milk-ball-like, with a lot of grainy sweet cereal smell to it backed with some fruitiness. Taste was similar, with some additional complexity in the malt flavor becoming clear after a few sips and after it warmed a bit. There was no spice flavor that I usually associate with triples, and the fruitiness that was present was pretty minimal and confined to the finish of this beer. The beer in no way tasted alcohol-y, particularly for a beer with 10% ABV. Mouthfeel was smooth and good.

I'm a bit conflicted; this beer was not true to style (as I understand the style), exhibited a flavor that I usually dislike, but managed to pull it off in a way I thought was kind of pleasant. So I will recommend this beer.

I had a bottle of this at The Room in Miami Beach, FL.

3.54/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottle into barilla jar

A: Dirty dark blonde body with a one finger head that quickly disappears. Lots of debris in there. Yeastiness galore! Little lacing.

S: Dried dates and figs. Raisins and dark funky jams.

T: Cant believe its 10% Booziness is hidden well beneath a rich dark fruit flavor.

M: Not bad

D: Watch all that gunk in there. Bread pudding!

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for the trade!

Poured a reddish brown, with a ton of sediment. At this point, I'm guessing that's par for the course for this brewery, as everything I've had from them is laden with literal fruit chunks. The head is light tan and gigantic. And long lasting. I don't think I've ever seen a head like this on a beer with this high of an ABV. Very unusual.

The smell is ... strange. There's definitely cherries and other light fruits, but there's a gigantic brandy or rum aroma. Also some yeast and molasses/brown sugar. The rum/brandy is really odor is very unexpected.

The taste is also brutally strange. It's incredibly sweet, and definitely on the cloying side as you work your way through a large bottle. The brandy/rum flavoring is predominant, and mixed with figs, prunes, and/or plums: it's so overpowering I'm not sure what the base might be. There's definitely some cherries, yeast notes, and some random spices (coriander?) but this brew is just so damn sweet. The mouthfeel is super-syrupy.

Kind of a hard beer to review. It's overpowering in both aroma and taste; this is hard on both the palette and the drinking stamine. It's just ... strange. The Grand Cru and Special Brown are two very, very underrated beers, so I expected to enjoy this more.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice. Best before 10/05/14 (10 May?).

A: Light burnished copper. Light white head with good lacing.

S: Caramel sugar. Apples and pears. Hint of phenol and spice.

T/M: Thinnish and odd. Vanilla. Pear. Can't taste the strength at all. The taste is so brief as to be ephemeral. Aftertaste is lightly sour.

O: It's good, but too strange to great. Maybe I got a strange bottle. Would try again, if not soon.

3.57/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Reddish amber. While clear, there are large and numerous chunks of sediment floating around. A finger of off white head rises with moderate retention before falling to a thin cap. Minimal lacing.

S - Dark, sweet, rich bread. Faint notes of caramel and chocolate, along with a good deal of berries and other dark fruit. Briney, almost vegetal aroma mingles with noticable alcohol and phenols. The combined result of the salty aromas approaches something like rubber and cheese. Really interesting.

T - Strangely and disappointingly flavorless. Not sure what happened here. Modest sweetness starts off with some flat and subdued notes of bread crust and caramel. A little bit of alcohol pops up with faint phenols and some of the briney flavor from the nose. Finishes with a mild bitterness.

M - Decent medium body with a moderate to soft carbonation. Seems a little watery on the back end at times.

D - Fairly drinkable. Not really bad from a flavor perspective, just extremely lacking. A pass overall with all the other great examples out there.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a nice dark brown with a reddish hue. A nice quarter inch of head that's still there as I'm drinking it. When held to the light you can see a red hue throughout. Oh my, there are some chunks in this! This beer reminds me of a tv screen while playing asteroids!
Smell is a very fruity, high in alcohol beer. There is a subtle yeasty smell. But the raisiny fruit flavor really comes through. Reminds me more of a wine smell.
I don't know if I picked up an older bottle, but the mouthfeel and taste is more subdued than I expected. Hardly no carbonation at all, matter of fact, it's taking on a old english ale taste. Reminds me of a JW Lees Harvest Ale. Not the sharp, carbonated belgian I was expecting. Interesting.
I bought this from a very reliable store that I very often frequent. Not sure if this is a bad bottle. Will have to revisit.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice. Bottle marked drink by 2008.

A: There was something seriously wrong with the yeast in this beer. A careful pour resulted in huge chunks of what I guess is yeast coming out of the bottle and into the glass. The resulting mess looked like a murky brown snow globe. It was absolutely full of white chunks. I don't know if it was supposed to be like this but I doubt it.

S: Sweet, brown sugar, dark ripe fruits. A lot of alcohol at the end.

T: Brown sugar up front followed by some dark cherries and figs. The alcohol is hardly evident at all. This beer was seriously lacking in complexity. I didn't get the many layers and directions of flavors that I like to see in an excellent Belgian dark beer.

M: The mouthfeel was pretty good, slightly creamy, medium bodied.

D: A very easy drinking beer. In fact, it was too easy. The alcohol was barely there, in taste and also in how it affected me. I drank the entire bottle of supposedly 10% ABV and I was barely even buzzed. This never happens. I've read several other reviews suggesting that this brewery has quality control problems and based on my small sample size I'd have to agree. I'd like to give this beer another shot at some point since I was very disappointed to buy a top 100 beer and have a poor tasting experience. I'd like to see what it tastes like without the glass being packed full of white chunks.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

This is a tripel? Well I'll be damned... doesn't seem to have any defining characteristics of a tripel.

The appearance is a dark nutty brown color that shines ruby to the light, accompanied by a thick and fine bubbled off-white head. No noticable carbonation, though I suspect the cork may not have had an adequate seal as there was a drop of liquid under the cap and foil (this beer has a cap with an underlying cork under it).

The smell is good, though it was not at all what I'd hoped to find in a tripel, as many of my friends recently decided they liked the style and I'm trying to find some shining examples. Has a bit of an english barleywine/old ale aroma to it. Has a big whiff of candi sugar as well as raisins, figs, etc.

The taste is good, reflecting quite faithfully the elements of the nose I already described. Has a thin malty backbone accompanied by some candi sugar and figs. The finish has the slightest bit of roastiness to it, as well as some huge yeasty esters. It tastes more like a red wine than a beer... I'm not a wine lover at all, but I can at least go so far as to say that the aroma and taste are "good" even though I don't personally like them.

The mouthfeel is unexpectedly light and watery, but smooth as velvet. Has a sharp metallic taste to the foam. Overall I found this to be very unimpressive for a tripel, regardless of what my number rating comes out to be. I'll have to try a smaller (non-corked) bottle to see if maybe the seal on my cork was not airtight, affecting my decision. Either way, I was expecting much more from this beer, as I loved the Grand Cru, and this is very highly rated on BA. I might even go so far as to recommend staying away from this one if you're looking for a good tripel.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Ordered a bottle of this last night at the Sunset Grille, and was poured into a tulip stemmed glass. I wanted to try an Tripel Imperiale, but the bottle also said it was a Strong Dark Ale. A confusing but new style to me (why not just call it a strong dark ale?), but honestly I thought it would look more like a tripel then a dubbel. That said, it had a nice brown color to it, and a lingering head. It tasted like any good Belgian dubbel or strong dark ale that I've had. I liked it, but wasn't blown away. For $7.99 a bottle, it was worth trying once but there are so many other Belgians out there that I haven't had yet...

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a slightly cloudy redish brown color with a massive light tan head. The head fades so slowly that I am begining to wonder if it will ever be gone. It leaves an impressive lacing.

This beer has a strong earthy yeast aroma. It also smells of alcohol. It has a pleasent spicy aroma also. Some citrus hop aroma is also present. Also, some dark fruit aroma is noticable.

This beer has a slightly grainy flavor. It tastes spicy. The alcohol in well hidden in the flavor. Some fruity notes are present. It also has a strong earthy yeast flavor.

This beer goes down surprisingly smooth, leaving a spicy aftertaste. This beer is well carbonated, good for the style.

I doubt this beer would make the best session beer. It tastes good, but it is high in alcohol.

Overall: This beer is decent. It is not the best, but far from the worst. What more can I say?

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle. Caramel color with modest head settling down to a small ring and almost no lace. Aromas are primarily of prune juice, yeast, and alcohol. Taste: also primarily of prune juice, yeast, and alcohol. Mouthfeel leans a tad towards the syrupy. The 10% ABV isn't particularly well hidden, reducing drinkability.

Net: Not my favorite BSDA, and, sorry guys, I can't uphold the A rating from my point of view. Maybe with more cellaring, it would improve.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 750 ml. capped bottle into a large wine glass. The Triple Impériale has been resting in my cellar for some time, Alas, a bit of age seems in order for this non-tripel Triple, it being a BSDA in disguise.

Pours a medium brown with some ruby highlights and offers half an inch of off white cap. A bit of yeast chunk floats around even after some sensitive handling and storage. Best before June 2012 fyi. Holds a thin surface film throughout.

Pleasant nose of Belgian yeast notes muddled with brown sugar. Not a whole lot of variety here and with some alcohol esters playing a notable role. Bit of muddled fig as well. Seems a bit stale however, though Belgian notes reveal themselves more with exposure.

Taste follows with sweet and fruity notes. Chewy yet without being sweet per se. Finishes with some brown sugar barleywine notes and a return of dried fig and prune. Smooth and pleasant yet the brown sugar is a bit too dominant here as well.

Quite enjoyable and with a great level of carbonation. Nose improves through the bottle. A fresher bottle would likely be more enjoyable as well as for the flavor. A bit too oriented towards a brown sugar flavor. A fresher brew may or may not offer such character. In the mean time filter this one for the yeast/protein chunk is out of control in the end.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

It's been a while since I first tasted this beer, so I decided that it deserved another outing. On the first occasion I remember being a little disappointed with it as I found it too sweet, which is a rather strange conclusion for me to reach as I generally love my beer sweet. So the bizarre outcome of that initial encounter always suggested a retrial was likely, just to rule out any abnormalities, evidence tampering and the like.

This time around the immediate sensation was not that of sweetness (although that quickly followed) but of an extremely high degree of carbonation. So powerful in fact, that it took me back to the 1970's and to two distant memories. The first was of the Soda Stream machine that we used as kids to make home made lemonade and coke with - we used to like to hit the CO2 button a couple of times too many to make the creations extra fizzy. The other memory was of the equally fizzy Space Dust candy that was available at the time in the corner Sweet Shop. After a while the carbonation does settle down somewhat, but is always fairly prominent, and I think that on this occasion it helps to mask some of the sweetness that came through a little too much last time.

It is awfully sweet though, and while as I say, I am normally a big fan of that trait, somehow here something is not quite right.

Okay...but for me it had a second chance and didn't take it and if you're looking for a well balanced beer, let's just say this one's no Circus Tightrope Walker.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Draft at Teller's in Cincy on 01/16/2006.

Poured a ruby color with a small off-white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Moderate fuity port aroma with a small alcohol tone. Medium body with a smooth texture. Moderate spicy fruit and port with a medium sweet finish of average duration with that same small alcohol bite.

Very flavorful brew.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

This one has been sitting around in the fridge for a couple months waiting for me to try it, so last night was the night as I was in the mood for something different. Poured a very deep dark and hazy brown with a huge tan head of gooey and foamy lace. Lots of visible carbonation throughout the session. A nice concentric ring of side lace was left throughout and some sediment was visible. The smell was interesting, lots of yeast and spice, but for some reason seemed muted, and at the same time kind of sweet. The taste was very full and robust. Lots of flavors with hints at dark fruits and a nice rounded earthy back. There was a slight tart like twang in the bite and a short finish that I thought could have been more drawn out. Not a hint at all of the 10% ABV and it was remarkably smooth for being so heavy. Overall this was an odd one, there was nothing really bad at all about it, but it just did not really stand out to me as anything fantastic other the very smooth nature of it. Almost silk like it was solo smooth. This was definitely a nice triple, but to be honest I have had better. That’s ok though it is still a very good beer and something I would say you should definitely try if given the chance.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%

I drank this from a 11.2 oz bottle into a Gouden chalice.

The beer pours a dark brown with lots of amber highlights. There is a ton of yeast floaties moving about. The head is tan, noting special....The aroma is malty, brown sugar prunes, caramel, a lighter yeastier quad. Not bad... The taste is pruney tea with yeast. Really pretty boring but drinkable.

This is a re-review, really much lower than the original review.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

A dark brown body with a fair amount of floaties is capped nicely by a thick tan creamy head. Some slippery lacing is left in it's wake.

The nose is of dark fruits, mainly raisin, along with some chocolate. Some sweet malt in there as well.

Taste is close to the nose, with the chocolate playing a leading role. The alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel was excellent. Very silky smooth and with just enough carbonation tingle to keep things from getting flat.

This is a fine beer to slowly sip and savor. I'd like to try this aged, but even young it is apparent that this is a quality brew.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

11.2oz Bottle
$3.99
Binny's Orland

Best before 2007

Triple Imperiale poured into a snifter as the chunkiest beer I have ever seen. Poured a dark murky amber with big chunky yeasties even after a careful pour. A 2 finger dense creamy beige head formed and had some staying power but eventually fell to half finger. The head formed solid drink lines after each sip. There was no stopping the yeast chunks. They started plopping out a quarter of the way through the pour. Some as big as dimes. The yeast broke up in the glass and suspended throughout. Looks good but the chunks take away from the appearence.

The smell is big with aromas of candy sugar and a number of fruits. Mainly pear, cherries, and muscat grapes. There's hints of doughy and caramel maltiness. All the smells meld together seamlessly to create a mouthwatering aroma. Complex and very enjoyable.

The flavor is much the same with hints of all the aromas. It's difficult to pick apart because all the transitions are absolutely flawless. A light caramel maltiness lays the foundation for the wave of fruits that soon follow. Again, as in the aroma pear, sweet cherries and muscat grapes flow through with a sweetness from the candy sugar. Super smooth and complex. Absolutely zero sign of alcohol in the flavor.

The mouthfeel is as good as it gets. For a 10% abv beer the body is on the lighter side of medium which is, to me, unbelievable. The carbonation is lively and awakens every tastebud it comes into contact with and turns the beer into a wonderful creamy frothiness.

Drinkability is outstanding. There's is no sign of alcohol in any aspect of this beer. This could easily get you in trouble.

This is an outstanding beer. A new favorite of mine. It's so well made and so easy to drink. So far on my beer travels this is the best Belgian to date and it will be tough to find something I enjoy more. But I will keep searching.

**Made some updates to the rating on 11/17/07. I purchase this beer every now and then and every time its the same chunky mess. If this beer didn't taste as good as it does it would be a drainpour. The chunkyness is hard to even swallow through. As good as this beer is I have a hard time finishing these 11.2oz bottles because they're so chunky**

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy…maybe cloudy was an understatement...this brew is full of yeast, clouds of yeast swirling around. The head is large, white, and rocky. The aroma’s amazing. It’s like smelling a glass full of fresh fruit. Cherries, peaches, plums, grapes, raisins, bananas, and berries, all mingling with yeast. There’s a little Belgian malt in the aroma as well, but the fruity character of the beer is the most amazing quality of the beer. It’s a sweet beer, with a spice balance. The yeast flavor is intense, and a little distracting, though. Pretty good carbonation, and a touch warming (not as much as expected, given the ABV). Full bodied, and enjoyable…just not outstanding.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

*Unsure of bottle date, but label did say best before 2008.

A- Pours a 1 finger head with decent retention and decent lacing. The body is a nice dark amber with huge yeast chunks.

S- Dark fruits, fresh flour, nutmeg, slight cinnamon, a bit of breadiness, with hints of alcohol and very slight pepper.

T- Starts with a sweetness, a bit thin and weak, with notes of dark fruit, some date, raisin, and then a bit of dryness on the finish.

M- Big mouthfeel given the ABV, but because of age, the taste didn't really follow.

D- I have no doubt that this was excellent at one time, but as myself and BA buddies drank this we all concurred that this bottle was definitely on its way out the door. As it was, it's not terribly drinkable.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.