Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale | Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.
abbaye-des-rocs.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

This is gonna go down as one of my bigger disappointment beers ever. Poured a garnet brown in color with hardly any head. Light could penetrate when held up to a light source, but it would have difficulty piercing through. Nose was sickly sweet malty with some rpunes and figs. Flavor was not nearly as yeasty as I was expecting. It was kind of flat and dull. The malts came across as a bit too sweet and the fruit I picked up in the aroma came through as overripe. Picked up some cherries too which kind of saved this beer for me. Alcohol was also very nicely hidden. Mouthfeel was surprisingly lighter than I thought. However, my taste buds were kind of soured on this beer and I did not feel like order another.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

This is a 750 mL bottle of Triple Imperial served in a Chimay goblet. The ale is cool.

A: The ale is a tawny port color with a thick (and explosive) head.

S: The nose is spicy with some curacao aromas.

T: Taste is fruity with an odd edge. I find the following flavors in a sip: smokiness, lemony tartness and chocolate.

M: The mixture of flavors is somewhat uninspiring, not my favorite from Brasserie des Rocs.

D: I'll stick with the Brune, as this one wants to do too much but doesn't quite make it there.

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

Dark brown and mahogany brew with a small head and a ton of floating particles. Smells of bready malts. Tastes are bready malt, candied sugar, raspberries and a bit of citrus hop. Very rich sweetness. Medium body with low carbonation. A good sipper, but I don't think I'd buy it again.

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

The Triple Imperiale poured a dark brown color with a strong 3-4 finger foam head that started foaming as soon as I un-capped it. On the top of the head it looked like fine brown sugar in between the white head.

Aroma was brown sugar and yeasty. The taste was sweet and malty. Dates, figs and fairies jumped around in my head. The abv was well hidden as the 10 percent didn't make much of a mark. In the mouth this one was nicely carbonated but just too much yeast or protein flowing around in large chunks. Overall I had to give this one a lower score on the final as it became hard to drink because of the excess chunks. Other than that is was good.

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

No head to speak of. It's not really that old, a good 5-6 months in the cellar shouldn't affect that. Otherwise, a nice dark ruby tone.

Smell is immediately tart and fruity. A little malt.

Taste is definitely fruit forward, there is a tart... no, sour quality I cannot put my finger on.. but it lingers more than anything. It has a wild yeast character that is more likable as it warms. Definitely a woody character. A hint of cherries and spice. As it warms the flavors become more inviting.

Carbonation seems low for a Belgian. It lacks a crisp dry finish. Medium-Full bodied.

Definitely let it warm up before trying it. It is so much better as it warms. Complex... a bit fruity for me, but enjoyable nonetheless.

3.42/5  rDev -18%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

The sight of this beer is not pretty the floaters of sediment are pretty off putting. I understand that sediment is normal in beers like this. But this sediment stayed in suspension in does not settle. The mouth feel is similar to that of that weird chicken fat skin that forms on chicken soup. So you feel the chunks. I suppose if it was strained it would be better even if it were to sacrafice the carbonation.
Smell is boozy and raisny, when it really warmed up it smelled of wet dog.
Taste is syrup sweet but not cloying. Malt driven and big taste raisins and dried fruit. It paired awesome with a aged white cheddar.
Overall I paid 4 bucks for a 750ml bottle so it was worth it. Next time I would strain it through a metal tea strainer.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 1 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a snifter, best before 05/08/2013

A: Pours a hazy light amber with a finger of off white head. The head quickly recedes to a ring. The first pour brought a beer full of flakey sediment. It was a bit odd and really gross. The flakes originally dispersed through the bee from a slight gusher, but a couple of hours recapped with a carb saver let the sediment settle.

S: Quite musty with orange zest, figs, and a bit of anise.

T: Similar to the aroma, except a bit more spicy and sweet. I get nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, and figs. A tad astringent.

M: Medium thickness for the style with creamy carbonation.

O: This was the ugliest beer I've ever seen on the first pour, and every pour dispersed the sediment. That alone brought the score down a lot. Other than that, there is a decent balance between fruity sweetness and spices.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

750 mL bottle tried 19 Jan 2008.

Very tight large rosy white head. Well carbonated, effervescent. Cloudy with lots of particulates, deep brown with hints of garnet. Smells of tart cherries, oranges, mineraly. Starts sweet and resiny, some rum and raisin that is not present in aroma. Aftertaste is of bittersweet chocolate. Medium heavy body.

Decent but expected a bit more.

3.46/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Yeah, that's right, this is the Emperor's tripel, boy! Anyway, this stuff pours a mostly clear sunset bronze-amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. Some floaties show up, but nothing much to speak of. The nose comprises plenty of dark fruits (primarily figs, though some dates shine through as well), Belgian yeast, clove, light cinnamon, candied orange peel, and good amount of sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, leading with the spices, then into a sweeter version of the fruits, then a strong wave of caramel, biscuit, and booze. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a nice tripel, but the booze is a touch off-putting, and it comes across more like a spicy BSDA than a tripel, but it still ain't bad.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Served from tap into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky light brown with tons of sediment with a two finger khaki colored head that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, and raisins. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, raisins, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation which reminded me of a thin milkshake. Overall this was a decent brew. At first this one was a little off-putting due to all of the sediment present in it. Even with all of the sediment present in this glass the flavor and aroma on this one was still quite nice. There was a ton of dark fruit going on here, specifically raisin. This was definitely the factor that made this brew enjoyable. Definitely worth trying with or without the sediment.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

This had a best buy date of 2008!! So, it is an OLD beer. Obviously, had this for quite a while...don't exactly recall how long. I haven't rated much in a long time...but figured a beer this old deserved my respect [opened to share with my daughter on her 21st B'day]

A: Dark brown. Not much carbonation. Minimal head. Lots of chunky yeast floating.

S: Aroma of dark fruits, malts, brown sugar.

T: Raisins, figs, and heavy on the prune. Malts.

M: Somewhat flat. Lifeless.

O: Obviously, the years have taken its toll on this brew [as they have on me too!]. Probably should have opened this one 5+ years ago. But, still fun to open an old beer and see what time has done. Worth the try...and will probably push me to start drinking some other of my older brews.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

I really thought the bartendress brought me the wrong beer when I took a whiff and then a sip of this beer. It is not like a Triple in any way, but I guess it's "imperial," so you can do what you want with it. This beer is cerealy and sweet, which is a flavor I tend to avoid/dislike, but in this case it is carried off reasonably well. Still, mixed feelings on this one and I wouldn't call it a favorite of mine.

It poured a muddy brown with a medium head. Aroma is very malted-milk-ball-like, with a lot of grainy sweet cereal smell to it backed with some fruitiness. Taste was similar, with some additional complexity in the malt flavor becoming clear after a few sips and after it warmed a bit. There was no spice flavor that I usually associate with triples, and the fruitiness that was present was pretty minimal and confined to the finish of this beer. The beer in no way tasted alcohol-y, particularly for a beer with 10% ABV. Mouthfeel was smooth and good.

I'm a bit conflicted; this beer was not true to style (as I understand the style), exhibited a flavor that I usually dislike, but managed to pull it off in a way I thought was kind of pleasant. So I will recommend this beer.

I had a bottle of this at The Room in Miami Beach, FL.

3.54/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottle into barilla jar

A: Dirty dark blonde body with a one finger head that quickly disappears. Lots of debris in there. Yeastiness galore! Little lacing.

S: Dried dates and figs. Raisins and dark funky jams.

T: Cant believe its 10% Booziness is hidden well beneath a rich dark fruit flavor.

M: Not bad

D: Watch all that gunk in there. Bread pudding!

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for the trade!

Poured a reddish brown, with a ton of sediment. At this point, I'm guessing that's par for the course for this brewery, as everything I've had from them is laden with literal fruit chunks. The head is light tan and gigantic. And long lasting. I don't think I've ever seen a head like this on a beer with this high of an ABV. Very unusual.

The smell is ... strange. There's definitely cherries and other light fruits, but there's a gigantic brandy or rum aroma. Also some yeast and molasses/brown sugar. The rum/brandy is really odor is very unexpected.

The taste is also brutally strange. It's incredibly sweet, and definitely on the cloying side as you work your way through a large bottle. The brandy/rum flavoring is predominant, and mixed with figs, prunes, and/or plums: it's so overpowering I'm not sure what the base might be. There's definitely some cherries, yeast notes, and some random spices (coriander?) but this brew is just so damn sweet. The mouthfeel is super-syrupy.

Kind of a hard beer to review. It's overpowering in both aroma and taste; this is hard on both the palette and the drinking stamine. It's just ... strange. The Grand Cru and Special Brown are two very, very underrated beers, so I expected to enjoy this more.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.