Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale | Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple ImpérialeBrasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale

Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.
abbaye-des-rocs.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 11-14-2004

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a dark ruby orange with an offwhite head that settles quickly to thin covering. Smells of rich dark malt and very winey. Rich fruit on the nose as well with notes of mascerated cherries, raisins, and apples. The taste is very nice indeed with lots of complex flavors. Starts very creamy with notes of dark fruit, sweet malt, apple, apricot, and continues into a creamy, nutty finish. Very little notice of the high abv- it is very well integrated into the overall taste. Surprisingly light in body for the alcohol and flavor profile. Perilously drinkable!

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pouring this ale produces huge amounts of foamy, tan head. The head offers wonderful retention and leaves a lot of lacing in its wake. The body is a glowing garnet and deep orange color displaying the best carbonation of any beer that I've seen. This is a truly spectacular looking beer.

The nose of this beer is very impressive. An extremely fresh rush of oranges and pears meet the nose immediately along with many floral notes. A notable cinnamon spice and smooth vanilla scent blend for a sweetening complexity. Added pineapple smells blend in for what is an incredibly fresh and clean smelling beer.

A very potent blend of cinnamon and a red pepper flavors hit the tongue first for quite an opening. Smooth fruit flavors of pineapple and oranges blend with a soothing vanilla character. An earthy, yeast flavor adds a very woody flavor before a stinging alcohol presence. The finish adds flavors of plums, raisins and other dark fruits.

The mouthfeel of this beer presents a large amount of carbonation and a strong spiciness. It is lively throughout and exciting for the palate although it does feel a bit syrupy after a while.

Drinkability is very good. This is quite easy to drink and very enjoyable. As drinkable as it is, ABV must be kept in mind as the alcohol taste becomes more apparent, numbing the mouth a bit.

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A great brewery in general. No bad beers to be had from this place.

The color is a muddled mahagoony and red oak color. Hard to see some of that carbonation. The carbonation shows itself with a good two finger starter head that eventually recedes to nothing. The color is a sweet, and holiday spicey aroma. Candy toasted malts with some hints of alcohol. Not detering, but inviting you. The tase is inviting as it is pleasing. The sweet, cabdy like malt is great. Makes your day a little sweeter after getting off work. Hints of sweet toffee, amber mlats, light molasses and brown sugar. Not as much carbonation as I would of liked, but still sweet, malty and spicey overall. And fun to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Tried a bottle of this with a friend after it came up on his "beer of the day" calender & neither of us had ever tried it.

It was a but dark for a triple (which is supposed to be how they were traditionally, I guess), dark orange to medium amber. Nice whipped foam of a head with good retention.

Smelled of earthy, belgiany, goodness...not as flowery as some triples can be.

Decent to big in the mouth - a little more body than I'm used to in a triple. A bit of a caramelized taste as well which I've never experienced with this style

Very good, not as drinkable as a westmalle or even the karmeleit, but delicious in its own unique way. I imagine this is what triples were like historically, before the movement to lighter, drier ales we are accustomed to

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Blood orange with ripe orange peel edges. A massive amount of carbonation can be seen leaping off the bottom of the glass and slamming into the underside of a fluffy, airy head of pale gold that is still massive several minutes after the pour. Unfortunately, the foam isn't tacky in the least and leaves almost no lace.

I'm much more impressed with the nose. It's dark fruity and spicy and is everything that I like about BSDAs. I smell whiskey and dark rum-soaked figs, caramel, brown sugar and clove intensive yeast. I'd almost believe that the beer was aged in charred oak barrels that had previously held bourbon, but that doesn't sound very monkish to me.

Triple Imperiale is good beer. Still though, I'm not sure that it belongs in the top-100. At least not in my top-100. I'm pretty sure the brewery has quality control issues; especially since my first two bottles (that were still more than a year away from their 'best by' dates) were drain pours due to a huge amount of coagulated protein.

The flavor profile follows the nasal profile. It's sweet and fruity (cherries now come to mind) and spicy, all at once. The most amazing thing is that there's no trace of alcohol, something that's almost unheard of in a 10%'er. Actually, the beer tastes aged rather than fresh. The 'best by' date (end 2008) would suggest that it's the latter.

The reason that I'm not gobsmacked by Triple Imperiale is that it lacks depth and complexity. It doesn't have that dizzying array of flavors that expand in all directions when beer hits mouth, as the truly world-class versions have. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the 11.2 ounce bottle though. I never said that it isn't good, just that it isn't great.

The mouthfeel may be the biggest reason why I think 'aged' every time I drink. It's infinitely smooth, but lacks that expansiveness and silky creaminess that I look for in Belgian beer. In addition, it isn't as viscous as I'd expect for the amount of sweetness. It looks like all those frenetic bubbles burned themselves out way too soon.

Given that others have been floored by this Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs offering, I'm prepared to believe that I got a less than perfect bottle. The problem is, there are any number of great BSDAs out there that are stunning each and every time I pop the cap. I'll try another bottle or two, but I'm not interested in playing Belgian roulette too many more times.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of Adrian910ss: Poured a cloudy dark brown color ale after some gushing, with a big foamy head with great retention. Aroma of candi sugar, strong Belgian malt and slightly funky yeast. Taste of sweet Belgian malt with nice candi sugar and funky yeast prove a balance and complex beer. Body is above average with low filtration and great carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden. Another great beer from this fine Belgian brewery.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

It's been a while since I first tasted this beer, so I decided that it deserved another outing. On the first occasion I remember being a little disappointed with it as I found it too sweet, which is a rather strange conclusion for me to reach as I generally love my beer sweet. So the bizarre outcome of that initial encounter always suggested a retrial was likely, just to rule out any abnormalities, evidence tampering and the like.

This time around the immediate sensation was not that of sweetness (although that quickly followed) but of an extremely high degree of carbonation. So powerful in fact, that it took me back to the 1970's and to two distant memories. The first was of the Soda Stream machine that we used as kids to make home made lemonade and coke with - we used to like to hit the CO2 button a couple of times too many to make the creations extra fizzy. The other memory was of the equally fizzy Space Dust candy that was available at the time in the corner Sweet Shop. After a while the carbonation does settle down somewhat, but is always fairly prominent, and I think that on this occasion it helps to mask some of the sweetness that came through a little too much last time.

It is awfully sweet though, and while as I say, I am normally a big fan of that trait, somehow here something is not quite right.

Okay...but for me it had a second chance and didn't take it and if you're looking for a well balanced beer, let's just say this one's no Circus Tightrope Walker.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

330ml curvy Belgian bottle. Holy looking label. 3 bucks and change for a single, bought at Julio's in Westboro, MA.

Very carbonated mahogany with bubbles streaming. Creme-colored head doesn't recede a mm. Smells very complex, spicy rum, cherry, raisin, licorice, powdery sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Flavor is drak fruit, caramelized sugar, and pepper. Ends a little more on the sweet side than I would prefer, like cherries covered in dark chocolate.

Polished, balanced, and beautiful. This is a wonderful brew that I will gladly revisit.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked up a bottle for the holidays. At first sip it's reminiscent of Carlous Grand Cru of the Emporer [sp]. This beer is a hazy brown with a subtle but enticing with dark candied fruit. Taste expands on the fruit without goign overboard like I sometimes feel Trois Pistoles does. Typical belgian dark fruit flavors with figs, raisins, grapes, and a bit of apple. The taste isn't outstanding in the field of strong dark belgians, but it's still great. This beer does however have great balance and drinkability. It's not too sweet like some belgians and there's little hint that it's 10% abv.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Not used to a cap on big belgian bottles - beer overflowed for a few continuous minutes until I finally decanted some into a Chimay goblet. Very gassy.

Color is a nice reddish brown with nice head and some lacing. Might just be my nose this particular night but the smells seem somewhat muted. I can smell the typical fruity/candy sugar type smell with not much yeast odor to speak of. Taste seems somewhat muted as the smell - not in a bad way. Reminds me quite a bit of Unibroue's Trois Pistoles but has slightly more flavor.

Initially, drinkability was wonderful. Good taste, great carbonation and good mouthfeel led to a nice sipping beer. However, for some reason unknown to me, after a few glasses I did not feel the desire to continue drinking. I didn't even finish the bottle. Because of this I dropped the Drinkability rating from 4.5 to 4.0.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Picked up at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

Pours a hazed red/brown, bit of a gusher, huge off white head forms, settles down to a thick layer, nice lacing and great retention. Smell is sweet, tons of toffee and yeast, very caramelized, citrus, some bread, almost barleywine in character. Taste is sweet and caramelized again, rich chocolate and toffee, some yeast, little citrus, super malty, dates, slightly oxidized but fantastic flavour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, excellent sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a hazy deep amber brown that appears shadowy beneath a thick, lively tan head. Smells and tastes of fruit (apple?) and malt. The alcohol is pretty well hidden. Complex and very drinkable. A great beer to enjoy with some good food. Highly recommended.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer poured a very hazy copper with flecks of yeast floating about in it.
The head was huge tan and foamy.
The smell contained sweet dark fruits, like cherries and plums, as well as yeasts.
The flavor was very fruity and spicy, carying cherries, plums, molasses, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The flavors were very well blended and overall very enjoyable. There was a lot of carbonation which ballanced the otherwise very thick beer.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a hazy/muddy red clay color, with some brown tinges as well. Creamy thick two finger head has great retention, ans leaves behind nice lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty, with fruity and bready notes from the yeast. Caramel and a touch of spice a present as well.

Flavor is mildly sweet, with nice complex malt flavors. Caramel seems to dominate, but there is some toasted grain and biscuit flavors as well. Wonderfully ester-y, and has a slightly dry, lasting finish. Carbonation is fine and smooth. Mouthfeel is heavy, drinkability is quite good.

I guess this is one of those exercises in "what the hell classification is this belgian"? The bottle says triple, BA says strong dark, and the flavor is somewhere inbetween. Whatever you call it.... it's a fine beverage. While I personally prefer their brune, this is very enjoyable and age worthy. If you see it, pick one up. It's definitely worth the $8 or so that I paid for the 750mL.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a trappist glass. I opened the bottle to a gusher. Once I got it into the glass I got a firey brown ale with a creamy beige head that left behind some lace. Cooked brown sugar, cherry, floral notes, toffee, rye bread dough aromas throughout. Light peppery notes with sweet candy. Cherry syrup. Palate is full and round. Very soft. A bit of an alcohol kicker. Superb on every level.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Poured a dark orange-redish-brownish color with a beautiful tan head that really seems to last. Lots of large yeast sediment and chunks. Seriously, chunks! Not that I was totally surprised, I have heard of this before. I didn't want to be "bothering" my fiancee later tonight with "what comes from the other end with too much yeast" so I scooped out most of the big chunks that I could.

This beer tastes amazing. Sweet malts with some carmel notes and noticable belgian candi sugar. Dried fruit notes such as rasins and prunes. Perhaps even a little bit of bitter chocolate somewhere far back in the palate. Very drinkable especially at 10% ABV.

I would love to have this beer with a nice holiday meal or just a slice of carrot cake. Very tasty brew. Even though it poured with some large chunks, I'd definitly pick this one up again. Cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Presentation: 750mL bottle poured into brandy snifters. Awesome coat of arms on the cap. The bottle was a gusher.

Appearance: Very nice, dark brown with just hints of red around the edges. A beautiful 2 finger head that never dissipated, leaving a layer of frothy lace.

Aroma: A lot of fruitiness along with the aroma of the Belgian yeast and caramel malt sweetness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Oh, it's so smooth. Nice and creamy mouthfeel, like velvet over the tongue. Malt and candi sugar sweetness comes through first, with a bit of caramel. Then comes an abundance of that glorious Belgian dark ale fruitiness. Dark fruits abound and are followed by earthy yeast flavors.

Notes: I can't BELIEVE this beer is 10% ABV. There was no way I would have known that by the taste. A supremely drinkable and flavorful ale, one of the best from Belgium.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a semi-cloudy brownish amber, with a rich foamy tan head. Complex aroma with a mix of funky tang and sweetness. Notes of rasin and other dark fruits, Belgian Yeasts, alcohol, and aspirin.

The rich, raisin and caramel malt flavors are sweet like cake batter, leaving a moment of toastiness in the finish before it all evaporates into hardly any aftertaste. This beer is fairly strong on alcohol, with a slight medicinal character. Lots of depth. The mouthfeel is excellent, moderately thick, with a slight creamy/chewiness. Very filling.

This was an excellent dark ale, deep in its flavors, and quite drinkable despite its high ABV. Definitely worthy of its place in the top 100...

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

11.2 oz bottle, best before 2007 (?)

Pours out a rich dark earthy brown with a frothy tan head that rests for the whole beer. Unfortunately there are a few floaties.

Smell. An immediate fruity sweetness accompanied by lots of peppery spiciness. Fruits are prunes and currents- heavy fruits. Under that is a touch of earthy aromas, and deeper whiffs i get a strong scent of sweet caramel. Very nice.

Taste. A great combination of flavors here. At first i get a good amount of dry fruits, mostly prunes. Then there is an immediate yeast flavor and tart flavors. After a few seconds on my tongue, i get nice sweet flavors of caramel, then roasted malts really come out and gives a nice creaminess. Aftertaste is warming, little bit of peaches. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel. Surprisingly light, but creamy. Carbonation is at a perfect level for this particular beer - just enough to give it a kick to your tongue, but doesnt overflow the mouth. Normally i like lots of carbonation for this style, but it compliments the flavor peftectly.

Overall, one of the best beers i've had the pleasure of enjoying. It hides the 10% very nicely. Flavor is complex as any other. Just a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750ml bottle a...dang! It started foaming over all over the place. I had to rush it to the kitchen and grab another couple of glasses so I wouldn't lose too much of it.

Well, after it finall settled down, it poured a cloudy rusty brown with, umm, a large head of foam that shrank slowly leaving a solid fine layer with lots of lacing.

The smell hit me before I ever got the cap fully off..it was a huge nose of sweet caramel malty goodness mixed in with good fruity tones like plum and apricot.

The taste is hugely sweet caramel but it's done right; the sweetness is not cloying and in fact, not negative in any way shape or form. My goodness, I'm now dreading the fact that I lost even 1 drop of this amazing brew.

After a few more sips, my palate begins to pick up on the fruity notes that I noted in the smell. Plum, a bit of apricot and some fig. I can't sense *any* bitterness what so ever and that's just fine by me. What a treat! And as far as it's abv by % goes..you've got to be kidding me!! 10%??? No sign of it in the taste at all and just a touch of warming as it goes down. Wow. Yum. This is world class stuff!!!

Bottom line: This is a brew that, if you see it in your neck of the woods, is *not* to be ignored! I recommend it on the highest level!
Just be *careful* when opening it!!!

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%

750 mL bottle w/ Best By 2006 stamped on label...
Appears a murky, dark chestnut toned brown with a huge, pillowy, light tan head that slowly fades out and leaves lots of lacing around the glass. The only down side to the appearance of this brew is the over abundance of the yeast & protein floaties that are moving up and down in the glass and sticking along the sides and the pillowy, rocky cap. Unsightly stuff to look at IMO and I've seen some nasty stuff during my time homebrewing.
Smell is outstanding. Plenty of rich, nutty, cocoa, caramel, toffee, brown sugar, light cinnamon, vanilla, ripe plums, figs, and raisins. Jeez...I could smell this stuff all night.
Taste is just as addictive as the aromas. An array of caramelized, sweet flavors explode along the palate, yet the light, citrusy hop profile buried in the background prevents it from coming close to cloying. There is a little spice evident in the flavor as well. It's like a cinnamon, clove, and coriander mix.
Mouthfeel is sweet, borderline syrupy richness, medium bodied, smooth, boozy, slick, and semi-dry. Again, those darn proteins and yeasty floaties are ruining the brew for me. I actually took it and ran it through a tea strainer and it was much better minus the head.
Overall, this one holds it's own against any of the big boys from Belgium(minus the abundance of floaties).

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a nice dark brown with a reddish hue. A nice quarter inch of head that's still there as I'm drinking it. When held to the light you can see a red hue throughout. Oh my, there are some chunks in this! This beer reminds me of a tv screen while playing asteroids!
Smell is a very fruity, high in alcohol beer. There is a subtle yeasty smell. But the raisiny fruit flavor really comes through. Reminds me more of a wine smell.
I don't know if I picked up an older bottle, but the mouthfeel and taste is more subdued than I expected. Hardly no carbonation at all, matter of fact, it's taking on a old english ale taste. Reminds me of a JW Lees Harvest Ale. Not the sharp, carbonated belgian I was expecting. Interesting.
I bought this from a very reliable store that I very often frequent. Not sure if this is a bad bottle. Will have to revisit.

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Looks great. Chunky, deep red/brown, and hazy. Has a tan head with good lacing. A mean lookin' brew. Nose is sweet fruits and alcohol, with something heavier but hard to identify coming through. So far so good. The taste is lacking- the alcohol hits hard and lingers, and you get just a mild bit of sugary sweetness and a bitter finish. Not very impressive. It's also thin, which is surprising considering how intense it looks. Drinkability... well you judge based on the ABV.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a slightly cloudy redish brown color with a massive light tan head. The head fades so slowly that I am begining to wonder if it will ever be gone. It leaves an impressive lacing.

This beer has a strong earthy yeast aroma. It also smells of alcohol. It has a pleasent spicy aroma also. Some citrus hop aroma is also present. Also, some dark fruit aroma is noticable.

This beer has a slightly grainy flavor. It tastes spicy. The alcohol in well hidden in the flavor. Some fruity notes are present. It also has a strong earthy yeast flavor.

This beer goes down surprisingly smooth, leaving a spicy aftertaste. This beer is well carbonated, good for the style.

I doubt this beer would make the best session beer. It tastes good, but it is high in alcohol.

Overall: This beer is decent. It is not the best, but far from the worst. What more can I say?

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

very chunky pour...its possible the bottle's been shaken around a bit before being opened. looks good though...chunks dont bother me. red brown color., white head. tons of lacing. smells great, fruity ethanol plumes, cherries. taste is very, very nice. fruity and malty, come caramel notes, sweetening it up. quite mellow and very ncie to drink. probbaly my favorite tripel...most of them are usually too spicy and harsh for me to handle and this is both powerful but tender.

Brasserie Des Rocs Triple Impériale from Brasserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs s.a.