Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

El Heffe | Pearl Street Brewery

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-pale amber colored with about 1 finger head that fades quickly

S-slight banana and clove smell but not much

T-even lighter banana and clove than the smell and a grainy aftertaste from the wheat

M-pretty thin and watery

O-not terrible but really not the best either

2.68/5  rDev -20%

Pours a hazey, copper-gold in color, and is topped by a thin white head which dissipates evenly leaving just a ring around the glass. Nose is fruity and musty, with peach and light cloves. This is fruity and lightly sweet on the first sip, but the characteristic hefeweizen flavors are muted. It's also a tad tangier than I expect of the style. As it warms slightly the phenolic characteristics are there and both the mouthfeel and body are on-style. While there is no bottling date or freshness code on the bottle, the yeast was pretty heavily settled on the bottom of the bottle as I poured it (even after swirling.) Altogether --and despite the fact that this was cold when I bought it was kept cold until opening-- I believe this was bottled earlier this year and is just a bit past its prime.

I can tell that there's something good going on with this brew and will re-rate it when I get a fresh batch.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

El Heffe pours a cloudy bright yellow color with no head. There is a creamy wheat aroma, with hints of smoked meat. The taste is creamy, but big hints of smoked beef. Good body, okay carbonation. Overall it's a very funky, chewy and meaty hefe.

3.19/5  rDev -4.8%

12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A - After steadily pouring into my glass, a bubbly white head quickly rose to about a half finger before fading to absolutely nothing within a minute. No head retention whatsoever, a slight amount of carbonation is visibly rising to the top but never comes together. Not much haziness present, which is standard a solid hefeweizen. After a couple minutes, I am left with what looks like apple juice.

S - Despite the tough look of this beer there is some life in the nose, although it is nothing earth shattering. Faint amounts of banana and clove are present but not pronounced enough to give this a great score. A slightly acidic smell also comes out, which is what I assume to be some citrus aspect. That too, however, is much too flat and combines with the wheat notes to make for an interesting smell.

T - With a weary tongue, I dive into this one. Sub-par amount of bananas and clove compared to what truly great hefeweizens offer. Wheat and citrus notes are there and pronounced a bit more which knocks the score up a bit, but the bananas and clove need to be turned up a bit before this score goes any higher.

M - Light to medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Entering the mouth there is a weak amount of bananas and clove hitting the tongue. Carbonation arrives and with it comes the wheat and slight lemony citrus zest. This beer doesn't seem to have anything backwards about it, but simply needs to have a more full flavor. Finish is somewhat smooth, sweet, and bready with the carbonation, citrus zest and wheat all exiting together.

D - To me, this seems like a toned down Central Waters Whitewater Weizen, which I thought was toned down, so this is well beyond my limit. I would like to see a more fuller offering of this beer and until then I really don't see myself seeking this beer out again.

3.37/5  rDev +0.6%

Unlike most reviewers- I live in a Heff heavy state. I don't know about bananas- but I get all the toasty malty wheat. I want bright summer days laced with sugar smacks. I want cool breezes and 6 beers while I bait my hook-

I got that.

El Hefe is not my boss. It did not change my life. But its an easy drinking beer with wheaty lemon citrus climbing out on the head.

I ask myself- if a friend gave me a 6 pack would I share it? This is one to share- but you won't be embarrassed to hand over the cold beer.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hard to dislodge the yeast from the bottom of the bottle so this beer may have sat around for awhile. No date on bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a little over a finger of head that slowly settled to a thick cap. Moderate amount of sticky lacing is left down the glass.

Good wheat aroma however the yeast esters a little muted. I do pick up the customary banana and clove aspects, just not enough.

Nice wheat, clove, and banana flavor but there is a little astringency that is slightly off putting and unusual in a hefeweizen. Sort of a metallic finish.

Light body with good carbonation that results in a chewy mouthfeel.

Not going to rival the greats, but for a economical priced beer, it is more than sufficient.

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Hazy golden. Head is two fingers and white. Good retention with some lacing.
S- Aroma is bready, some banana, and a bit of spice.
T- Light in flavor but what's there is high quality. Banana is pretty big on the tongue. Fairly bready for a hefe. A touch of spice.
M- Too thin. A bit watery and undercarbed.
O- It has good flavors and aromas, but the body is a bit underwhelming. Easy drinking and worth trying, but not outstanding.

3.44/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.64/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours out hazy straw and sits cloudy gold in the glass with minimal head.

Crisp wheaty aroma with minor citric notes and a tinge of clove and banana.

Hefe yeast dryness dominates with a mild to moderate hop bitterness. Clove and banana still present, faint hints of lemon zest.

Crisp in the mouth with moderate carbonation. Not a bad American take at a hefe. Overall lacking a bit in mouthfeel, but still good overall.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast