That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout | Pearl Street Brewery

pearlstreetbrewery.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by cokes on 03-01-2005

1.55/5  rDev -45.8%

I am reviewing the Rolled Oat Stout, but the bottle says nothing about it being organic. It's says "That's What I'm Talkin 'Bout Rolled Oat Stout." Different beer? Pours a thick dark brown color with a small chocolate milk colored head upon a hard pour, but fell quickly leaving no lacing. There almost no aroma in this beer. It smells plastic-like, slightly metallic. Nothing in the way of roasted malt or anything remotely stout like. Worst aroma of a beer I've come across. Taste is very light coffee, metallic again, slightly astringent, just overall not good. No sweetness to be found for a sweet stout. This is watered down beyond belief, which is surprising considering how thick it looked upon the pour. Mouthfeel is light and watery. No redeeming qualities in this beer. I'm having trouble finishing it. This might be a darinpour in the next few seconds.

1.75/5  rDev -38.8%

Pours very dark, velvety brown with a creamy tan head.

Aroma is charred dark grain with a residual oatmeal sweetness.

Taste is extremely muddy and off putting. There is an initial smokey charred dark grain bitterness. However, it immediately turns into a flat cola-like flavor. Shockingly bad; especially when compared to the nose.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

What the hell? looks good. Smells good. Tastes unbelievably terrible. I can't believe it.

1.75/5  rDev -38.8%

This stout leaves almost everything to be desired.

Really awful is almost everyway.
The pour and the aroma was standard, allowing you to expect something from the flavor and moutfeel.
Nice frothy head with a nut brown color.
Where this beer goes astray is in the tartness that comes through from beginning to end.
Almost wondering if they soured their oats before mashing in.

Sorry Pearl Street.

2.07/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a dark brown with some light mahogany highlights. Very thin light head.

The smell is nice with a sweet cereal quality blending in with some nice black and smoked notes.

The flavor is very substandard, flat with a one dimensional light black smoked flavor, lacking all of the promise that the nose held.

The mouthfeel is very thin and watery for a stout, way to thin for a stout.

Poor poor stout, after Pearl Street Beers I hope to never suffer through another, they need to go back to the drawing board.

2.08/5  rDev -27.3%

2.09/5  rDev -26.9%

On-tap at Del's Bar.

Served to the very top of a pint glass with zero head. Solid black, but thin looking.

Smells roasty with some coffee malt notes.

The taste is so watered down. The main flavor component is of musty old grains. Really hard to drink this.

This has to be the furthest thing from an oatmeal stout. So watery and thin, I think they forgot to put the oats in.

I dare call this a beer that falls into either the oatmeal or stout categories. I had about three sips and set the rest down. I recommend staying away from this beer unless you try it at the brewery. The other beers at the brewery seem to be good, so maybe it's the bar to blame?

2.1/5  rDev -26.6%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours black in color with a bit of red highlighting along the edges of the glass. A one inch tan head forms on top which leaves

Aroma is full of diacetyl, it basically smells like butterscotch candy. I don't get anything else but that.

Taste is basically like a mocha iced coffee in which all the ice has melted. Very watered down taste and that butter taste, while not as bad as the aroma, does not help things.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, though it does have a decent smoothness to it, but it just doesn't save it.

Really quite an offensive beer, I would not drink it again. The only way I can get it down is to hold my breath while I drink. That butter is my most hated characteristic in beers and there is way too much of it here. I will probably just chug it down so I don't have to drain pour it. Avoid this one.

2.19/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a black to dark brown color, growing a 1/4" watery, brown colored head that disappears quickly.

Aroma has some malt characteristics, slightly chocolatey and a touch of roastiness. Strangely enough, I pick up something that really reminds me of a freshly opened jar of green olives. Bleh.

The flavor has some typical oatmeal stout flavors, slightly chocolatey and roasty, but there is an acrid sort of pickled vegetable flavor that pretty much ruins everything.

Wow, this was almost drain pour for me. I did manage to choke it down, but the whole Olivey character is pretty nasty. I can honestly say I've never had a beer that smells and tastes like olives. Nor do I ever want to experience that again. >.<

2.21/5  rDev -22.7%

This one pours black with a faint wispy head that fades to nothing. A pretty lifeless looking pour. Aroma is bitter cocoa, light coffee and nutty. The first sip was quite a sour and funky malt flavor. Day old coffee. I did detect some faint hops as well. Overall it is not very good.

2.25/5  rDev -21.3%

2.4/5  rDev -16.1%

This poured out with a deep black color with a brown fizzy head on top. No retention or lacing at all here. The smell of the beer is roasted, maybe a little bit of a smokiness in there too. The taste of the beer is roasted also but really not good right out of the fridge. I gave it time to warm up and it got a little better but still not that impressive. Very one dimensional brew. The mouthfeel is thin and not really thick like an Oatmeal Stout should be. Overall it's not that great sadly. I would still look into other brews from this brewery but not this one.

2.42/5  rDev -15.4%

I'm always in conflict about reviewing old or flawed beers. Of course I didn't know it when I bought it and there is no way to identify the age on this one without markings on the bottle.
Too bad as the initial presentation is respectable. Dark roast with strong coffee overtones. Just a hint of oxidation, but not enough to distract.
Smallish head is really only mark on this. Black as night. Tan thin head, but persistent.
Flavor just doesn't have it and I'm not sure it ever did. Some staleness, but the good flavors are lacking. It doesn't resemble the aroma in any form. Too bad. There is an annoying sourness/tartness that just doesn't fly here.
Body is very thin too and lacks the softness expected for style.
Really hard to finish this glass.
I'm going with this review since others have not found this beer up to snuff either.

2.49/5  rDev -12.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured out the typical black color with a tan foamy two finger head that lasts for only about two minutes and doesn't really leave behind much by the way of lacing. The body was very watery and thin for a stout, making me wonder just how much oats were actually used in this beer.

Smells of faint bitter chocolate and some coffee, but tastes very extract-forward and strangely sour in the finish. Not a big fan of this one.

2.58/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -8%

I had this one on special a little while ago, and I can see why they were trying to get rid of it.

It looked fine when it came out to me. A nice deep dark beer with a light tan head.

Smell was not so bad either. Some chocolate, roasted malts, a hint of coffee.

Taste was not bad, but not great either. Chocolate was a lot less prominent than I was expecting, I think the flavor in general was lacking.

Perhaps that is because the beer is so watery! This is by far the wateriest stout I've had. Even if the flavor was better, the mouthfeel would turn me away from this one.

2.7/5  rDev -5.6%

A-Dark Sienna colored...small whisp of scarlet highlighted tan head on top.

S-I am digging this. Smells like some Imperial Stouts do. Richly malty...dark chocolate...cream...some dark fruitiness (plums)..

T-WTF??? My goodness this is much worse than the nose led me to believe...the watery body is tough to ignore even as I am focusing on the taste....it has some cold, watered down coffee notes...maybe a little dark chocolate...not a strong point.

M-This is horrible for the style...no smoothness...no creamy texture...no body...just watered down...

D-What a rollercoaster this one was....the aroma is very enticing but then the beer is way below average once you drink it...not recommended...

2.72/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a dark black body, one finger offwhite head, fair retention, minimal lacing. Smells of roasted oats, a bit of smoke and char, small amount of milk chocolate, a bit of dark fruit. Flavour is chalky, a bit of char, mild roast, not a lot of other flavor. As mentioned, there is a lot of chalkiness, which really gets into the way of enjoying this. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, fair carbonation, as before, heavy chalkiness, an ashy finish. Overall, this was a very average to below average stout with way too much chalkiness and not much flavor to it.

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%