Dankenstein IIPA | Pearl Street Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by rockwell on 12-28-2009

1.87/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

First of all this doesn't taste like an IPA at all, but more like a dark beer. You can taste a hop presence, but it is quite weak. I don't know what it is, but this IPA just tastes watery to me. Pearl Street does an awful job of masking the hefty alcohol content in this brew as I struggled to choke down this beer and anxiously awaited the end of it. I am a fan of Pearl Street's Pale Ale, but this attempt at a double IPA was an utter failure. I wont be trying this again.

2.06/5  rDev -39.8%

Weird strong immediate aftertaste that's not pleasant. I'm up to three drinks now seeing if the taste improves. I'm at the forth and no improvement. I can't keep it in my mouth long enough to determine what the aftertaste is. Just not a beer to my liking.

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

2.6/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pretty much feel this less than OK in every catagory.

For attempting to claim to be a dank IIPA the nose is pretty lifeless. Perhaps a little butter.

Taste is buttered popcorn and malty dark fruits. A hint of hop bitterness kicks in at the end but it's not nearly enough to redeem this. Almost more of a barleywine on the palate.

Proceed with caution.

2.63/5  rDev -23.1%

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A - looks like a dark rusty brown color with almost no head at all. I poured this very aggressively into my tulip. A few spots of lacing.

S - Malt bomb with syrup. I detect only the slightest amount of hops.

T - Malt bomb with butter and syrup. Hops almost non existent. WTF. Hint of bitterness on the finish and alcohol.

M - Medium bodied with very low carbonation. Syrupy and buttery.

O - So far this is the worst IIPA I have ever had. Not sure if it was old or this is standard. Reviews for this are all over the place. May as well be a barleywine, at least it was free. Based on this I may never try another PSB beer again.

2.71/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours no head at all. My glass seemed clean so i'm confused.

Dark for an IIPA. Kind of walnut colored.

Smell is a heavy malt perfume. Resinous.

Taste is a blast of malt followed quickly by hops. Something is slightly out of whack here, not balanced.

Mouthfeel is very big and bold. Alcohol blast is noticeable.

Overall I'd have to say a good effort by a good brewery, but it falls short mainly because of balance. It seems like the hops can't quite match the heavy malt. Ten years ago I would have killed for this beer but now I'm another spoiled beer brat!

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to my brother (wonderhinterland) for two bottles.

Bottle #1 was drunk about a month & a half ago and most memorable by the playful name, but I wish I had reviewed it then as I seemed more enjoyable at that time.

#2 was consumed tonight while watching, Good Hair, a documentary by Chris Rock about the black hair industry.

My first impression is that this refrigerated bottle #2 appeared a bit murkier, or shall I say danker, than #1.

Smells of heavy malts and over-steeped tea.

Tastes of burnt sugar, grapefruit rind, resin and oddly a licorice note that seemed to momentarily numb the tip of my tongue.

Perhaps it was in pairing with a documentary that spent ample time on the subject of sodium hydroxide, but i just couldn't get this beer to "relax" me. I gave up before I could see the bottom of my glass and long before the movie had ended.

Murky orange pour pour with lots of little bubbles when held to the light

Smells, if possible, sticky. Very earthy hops.

Taste reveals s sticky, earthy, smack in the jaw. Far more strong ale than DIPA. Malts punch through with a vengeance while a big orange hop and pine cone finish that grips at the molars.

Mouthfeel is thick and well carbonated.

Drinkabilty is difficult to judge based on a style that is tough to match to the label. She's a rough, abrasive powerhouse.

3.06/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz. bottle tried 18 Oct 2011. Bottle courtesy of R&S, thanks! Served in the 0.4 L Sonnen Gold-Ex becker.

Small tight tan head. Well carbonated. Very dark walnut leather in color. Slightly hazy. Fragrant, like hop syrup, resin, and orange, some ethanol noticeable. Starts malty sweet, quickly becoming quite bitter. Orange and grapefruit pithiness. Medium sticky body, ethanol is warming. Finish and aftertaste are fairly bitter. Becomes more of an aspirin bitterness as it warms.

Nice aroma but a slightly unpleasant bitterness in the flavor.

3.11/5  rDev -9.1%

A big thanks to TheDudeRules for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a very dark brown color into a tulip with about a half finger of tan head that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Heavy malts, slight hops, resin, that’s about it.

Taste – Heavy malt, alcohol, and just a bit of hops. I’m not sure if this is an old IIPA but this sure as hell tastes like a barleywine.

Mouthfeel – Medium to heavy bodied, syrupy, chewy, lower carbonation.

Overall – An odd tasting DIPA and if you even try to consider it a barleywine, it is not all that good.

3.18/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Poured a hazy color caught somewhere between amber and brown. With any kind of light source behind it slices of orange show themselves. The khaki head start off at about one and a half fingers, but vanished to a cap within minutes. Lacing was pretty much nonexistent, but there were a few dimples here and there.

Smell: It's apparent with the first whiff that this brew was aptly named. Resiny, dank, pine infused hops are on the forefront and they come on strong. After the hop bum rush the alcohol rears it's head, generally the hops in this style do a better job covering it up. I'm also picking up on some sweet malt and perhaps some citrus based hops as well. I have no real problem with any of these smells on there own, but for some strange reason the combination keeps reminding me of some kind of industrial solvent. Very strange.

Taste: Thankfully I'm not reminded of solvent in this category. However following the smell the resiny, floral hops are firmly in control. There's a touch of earthiness to them, with a nice dash of grapefruit to boot. Somewhere in the middle there is some of caramel malt, which is whisked away by the lingering bitter finish. I have a couple complaints here. First off I'm all for the dank, resiny hops, but I feel they work much better when they complimented by other hop flavors. This is just one-sided with it's resiny onslaught. It sort of reminds me of weed, honestly. Secondly, while this brew is completely hop centric, the flavors really aren't that strong. The level of bitterness and hop flavor is closer to standard IPA levels. It's like they forgot to add some extra aromatic hops to this batch.

Mouthfeel: The body is a solid medium and the carbonation is spot on. But there is an astringent aspect here that I am not feeling.

Drinkability: This really isn't a terrible beer. But I've had some of the pinnacles (in my mind) of this category and this just doesn't stand up. I've had many that were absolutely teeming with every kind of manifestation of hop flavor you can think of. This was just too one dimensional for me and as mentioned a bit on the weak side. I'm tired of drinking it after one serving.

From the amount of reviews this beer seems to be new to bottles. I'm not familiar with Pearl Street, but it's possible they could be new to bottling as a whole. If I only lived in Wisconsin I'd give this one another chance straight from the brewery. In it's current state though I just can't give it high marks.

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours into my tulip with a decent sized (two-fingered) head, a nice, even khaki color, rocky and not goin' anywhere for a while. This impression is a good one. Color is darker brown with highlights of copper, and the clarity is hazey as this one wasn't filtered; plenty of gunk left on the base of the bottle and I'm leaving it there ; )

On the nose there's nothing really goin' on that would lead me to think this was a D-IPA. A whiff of bittering hops, a load of yeast, and some lighter phenols, but I'm smelling a classic strong ale/barleywine, more of the British tradition than anything else -- it's not as if that's a bad thing of course, just not what I'd expected. Reminds me of "Old Man Winter.." from up in Duluth (that's a *good* thing.) Lightly metallic, lighter plum and cherry...

First sip is sweet, pungent, and a little boozy! Notes of ripe fruit (red-skinned apples, sharp plum) and more of that yeast that I just don't ever really get in some takes on the classic American Double IPA style. Mouthfeel is full and creamy (again, owing to the yeast) and this is a bigger-bodied beer. Frankly I like it for what it is, but it will leave some people confused, others disappointed (but for $7.50 a 4-pack I consider it a nice buy.)

Lasting impression is of a sweet, big, sippin' beer, but it's not one that will totally wreck your palate if you're going to be indulging in a hoppier beer sometime after this one: anything with enough hops in it will wipe this flavor off yer tongue! The bitterness is there, but only just: judging by all the placements I saw in town on my recent visit, this is a fresh batch, and I'd expect a greater degree of bitterness in addition to a LOT more floral and aromatic hops on the nose.

Not bad altogether -even though it falls short as a IIPA- and it's one worth trying again sometime. I might cellar a bottle, just in case (it does have the legs for it...)

3.25/5  rDev -5%