Newport Storm '09 | Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.

Newport Storm '09Newport Storm '09

Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States
newportstorm.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

We looked across the pond for some help with this oneā€”and Belgium is where the landed. Belgian ales are often unfiltered and wheat based. We added a twist to that style by adding tons of hops without trying to turn it into a Belgian Imperial. So armed with an imported yeast strain, Belgian aromatic malt and a thirst for adventure we fired up the brew kettle!

Added by ShogoKawada on 11-23-2009

Reviews: 20 | Ratings: 26
3.67/5  rDev +25.3%

Pours a murkey orange colour with hints of amber. Head is quite small, very mild lacing on the glass. Smells mostly like a barleywine. Butterscotch and brown sugar in the nose, some alcohol too. Flavour is a bit boozy, but quite sweet. Syrupy mouthfeel almost, though it seemed to fit with the beer.

2.71/5  rDev -7.5%

750ml corked bottle served in a snifter glass.

pours a murky, muddy brown tone with no head or lacing; not the most attractive looking beer.

aroma is good. sweet, fruity (plum/raisin/fig; maybe apple), malty... alcohol presence is faint put perceivable. very reminiscent of a barleywine.

flavor follows the nose, with the headliner here being a sweet maltiness. a bit astringent; not really doing a lot for me. not a drain pour by any means, but pretty 'meh'.

for me, the mouthfeel of this beer is its real undoing. medium-plus bodied but borderline flat. not well-received; this directly translates to how drinkable it is, making it, well, not very.

3.87/5  rDev +32.1%

Thanks Vaino for bringing back. A medium yellow body with a reddish tinge, a crowning head. The smell says solid barleywine and was rich with fruit. The taste is barleywinish, with notes of fruit, grapey, wine,caramel. above average mouthfeel. A decent barleywine not too sweet, underated and perhaps needed just some ageing which it got from us. Will it even improve more? Boozy though,which really hindered drinkability.

3.65/5  rDev +24.6%

the color is a sharp garnet. no head

strong kettle caramelization aromas and plenty of heat come to the nose. brown sugar

highly fruity and sweet. dates, figs, golden raisin and more heat. hops keep to themselves. touch of coriander, cardamom

the bottle claims an abbey yeast was used but any belgian character is subdued. enough, though, that this ought not be listed as an american strong ale

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color with no head - zip, nothing, nada

Smell: Caramel, figs and fusel alcohol

Taste: Caramel and fig up front, but the alcohol juts in by mid-palate, adding a harsh, medicinal tone; after the swallow, the sweeter flavors do a better job masking the unpleasant character, but the damage was done

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, but flat

Drinkability: I wonder how these guys stay in business; for every decent beer I have tasted of their, I have had two disasters

Thanks, CharlesDarwin, for the opportunity

2.21/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured out of a wine bottle into a pint glass.

A-murky camel brown color. No head.

S-grainy, husk, some alcohol.

T-very husky and malty flavor, strong and coarse booze taste.

M-spritz of carbonation and medium to heavy mouthfeel.

D-one dimensional flavor. More carbonation might make this more tasty. The malt and booze in this is just too much with out a little more spritz. I will pass on this in the future.

2.84/5  rDev -3.1%

Cobalt blue bottle with conventional (non-Champagne) cork poured into a wine glass.

Pours a cloudy orange color. Slightly viscous. No head to speak of.

Smells exactly like a barley wine - fruity and alcoholic. No hops perceptible.

Taste is malty, alcohol again very perceptible, though not hot (probably would have been fresh, if I were to guess). Bitter orange sort of flavor towards the end. Dry as all heck, despite the maltiness.

Mouthfeel - there's a little more carbonation than the appearance suggested, but not much. Body is actually quite nice: thicker than the average pilsner, but not at all syrupy.

Drinkability: not very. I wish more people could share this, because I wouldn't want more than a few sips.

Overall: interesting, definitely different. All part of the exploration of beer, but I can't exactly recommend it.

Ok I read the other reviews. Maybe there was something off with this bottle, because I had a very different experience from the others, or so it seems. Who knows.

4.3/5  rDev +46.8%

Revisted: 1 Apr 11
750ml
Blue Bottle
Corked

Been sitting on this bottle for about 1.5 years.

Poured into a chalice a cloudy amberish color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with some very minor oil slicks and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is very malty, with some hop notes, figs/plums/raisins, and some caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, with some nice dark fruit notes, caramel. Medium body, still a complex brew. Nice warming effect going down. Still very drinkable, and holding up well.

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this brew.

750ml
Blue Bottle
Corked

Poured into a chalice a cloudy amberish color, very nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with some oil slicks and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is very malty, with some hop notes, figs/plums/raisins, and some caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, with some nice dark fruit notes, caramel. Medium body, a complex brew. Nice warming effect going down, great brew for a cold day. Very drinkable, this is another nice brew from CE. Thanks Wayne!

...not sure what Coastal Extreme was trying to do here...and not sure why I bother to bother any more after the let-down from '04 on. But, I was intrigued by the "Belgian malts" and "Belgian Abbey yeast strain" claims on the back of the bottle. Whatever.

A: No head, cloudy...sweet tea like. No eye candy here.

S: Apple, hops, a bit of molasses perhaps?

T: Taste follows suit with the nose. A bit of tart apple and hops...bigger on the hops than I might have imagined. A slight tannic quality is there...nothing to write home about here.

M: Fairly thin bodied for a big beer...boring actually.

D: Why bother...OK, I'll try to be constructive. Mmm, let's see now...the only thing that drives my hand back for another sip is the $13.99 price tag.

Finally: A colossal failure...but not a let-down, as I've gotten used to let downs ever since '04 set the standard for let-downs from this brewery.

Don't bother...I already did.

Cheers, Mark

4.03/5  rDev +37.5%

This strikes me as a dubbel/tripel hybrid, but went with the 'Strong Ale' label. Back says it's a dark amber ale, but this is no average amber.

750ml, I took 500ml into my boot, and my roommate had the remainder in a pint glass.

A- An amazing, glowing, fantastic amber rust color. Both my roommate and I commented on the excellent coloration. Not much of a head, but at 11%+, to be expected. Coloration is fantastic.

S- Honey, candied figs, sweet, sugary malts. Coriander, cinnamon, and clove trio are in efect as well. Pretty boozy, but not in a bad way.

T- Follows the nose. Sweet fruits, grapes, apples, and bananas... And quite the alcoholic chaser. This beer has done what I wish more high-ABV beers would do... instead of trying to hide the alcohol, this beer embraces it and incorporates it into the flavor profile. The hops come through as floral, a bit peppery, but rather tame (which is a good thing). 39 IBUs? Hmm... maybe.. a good hop presence, for sure. As I drink, I can feel the peppery hops more and more... very nice counter to the malt/alcohol sweetness.

M- As with all these blue-glass Storm beers, I would have liked more carbonation. Still, this one was decently carbonated, and the mouthfeel was heavenly... velvet, slow-moving, thick, and delicious.

D- Fairly high, ABV in mind. I will buy more of this, by far my favorite blue-bottle Storm beer. I am really impressed at this offering from Coastal Extreme... well done, guys! This one's a winner!

EDIT: opened a bottle 9.9.11. Time has not been kind. Not as enjoyable. Maybe it'll come out the other side, but I'd score it much lower if I re-reviewed it now.

Newport Storm '09 from Coastal Extreme Brewing Co.