Ebel's Weiss Beer | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Ebel's Weiss beer is a very traditional German Hefeweizen that is naturally unfiltered. It has wonderful malt sweetness and a soft aroma of clove, vanilla, and banana. This deep golden colored weiss will make you think you are in Bavaria.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

3.01/5  rDev -18.4%

Shocked and chagrined!

Two Brothers Brown Fox was one of the first beers I really fell in love with. And considering that I love hefe-weisse beer, I thought I had to give this a try. Don't make the same mistake.

It pours like day old champagne. The tiny lace dissipates quickly. Reminds me of stuff I used to play drinking games with. The "suspension" of yeast is disgusting; the beer's not uniformly cloudly, just filled with specks of crap. It smells good, but looks skunky.

Speaking of the smell, it's not bad -- somewhat estery with nice spices, a little sweet.

The primary taste is gumballs followed maybe by vanilla and clove. A lot of esters. No real balance or distinction to any of the flavors. Completely artificial.

This is the harshest microbrew I've had in my mouth to date. It feels a little like Miller Genuine Draft, not as bad as Icehouse. Very sharp and piercing, over carbonated . . . what the hell is going on here?

I'm going to finish my six pack, keep buying Brown Fox Ale for sessions, and never think about this beer again. It's drinkable, but not really a hefe at all. It has no body, no character, no sophisitication. As a hefe-head, I was insulted.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%

Yellow beer, full inch of white head that sucks at retention. Aroma was all bready.

Taste was run of the mill average wheat beer. Easy drinking, a little bit of citrus tang to it. A little bit of clovey spice rack going on. Lighter barley/wheat malts going on than average even.

Not really a beer you can be gung ho on, or against.

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance- Pours an awesome , brisk head with good retention and awesome bubbling and awesome brussels lace left after each sip. Color was a muted yellow with light amber notes.

Smell- Lots of wheat infused lemons with a sprig of sage and clove.

Taste- The tartest tasting weiss I've ever had. It was a not so great mix of typical weiss taste and lemons. Das war nicht so gut. Starts out wheat and good with some bubble gum and ginger.

Mouthfeel- Too dry and tart to be a repeatable weiss.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: It's a light golden color. Slightly cloudy. Head is a modest one finger. Very short retention and light lacing.

Smell: It's a decent mix of earthy and spicy aromas. It has a typical wheat-grainy smell to it. Spiciness is primarily clove with some banana and light citrus notes mixed in.

Taste: The spicy clove and banana flavors are the main features. It has a grainy taste (as well as feel) to it. Some citrus flavors are noticeable, but they are faint.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and goes down pretty smooth. I just find it hard to drink more simply because it's just an okay beer. Overall, it's okay but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a super hazy orange color with tons of tiny bobbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Very little head and almost no lacing.

I can smell bananas from two feet away. Heavy banana and some yeasty notes sweet and fresh smelling. Also some vanilla bean. I don't smell a whole lot else here.

The banana is right up front in the taste, some sweet earthy yeast comes through as well. I also get a very muted vanilla flavor along with subtle hints of clove.

Big downer in the mouthfeel, there is almost no carbonation. The brew tastes great, but where are the bubbles? Feels thin and flat on the tongue. The complete lack of carbonation ruined this one for me.

Once again, drinkability is seriously crippled due to the carbonation issue. More bubbles and this brew would be a summer staple.

I may have had a bad bottle, I will revisit this one.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

A fairly lackluster attempt at the style. The beer pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden with minimal fluff to the head. Aromas, and flavors of clove are present but muted at best. An annoying sour-ball lemon flavor lingers on the finish and kills off the clove and banana notes trying to come forward. A drinkable yet rather boring offering.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: A light yellow straw-like color with a fair head on top.

Smell: A little bit of citrus and yeast.

Taste: Light and a little bit of citrus but sometimes has a little bit of a metallic finish. Not as sweet as some other Hefe Weizens It doesn't have as much flavor as I would have liked.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light consistency. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A fair hefe weizen on the lighter side. It is tastes good but is not a hefe weizen of choice but rather one that I would have if there weren't better options available.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Pours a hazy rust orange with two fingers of thick snow-white head. Even over a foot away from my face I instantly smell banana, bubblegum, vanilla, and pepper. I'm surprised at first taste that for all the aroma there is very little flavor. The only thing really notable is a bit of vanilla and bitter grapefruit aftertaste. It actually tastes pretty watery and perhaps a little sugary for my taste. Easy enough to drink, but not very compelling.

The incredible aromas teased me but the blandness of it all ends up being a disappointment.

3.12/5  rDev -15.4%

12 oz. poured into weizen glass

Appearance: Cloudy yellow orange with minimal head.

Smell: Orange and banana right away followed by a sweet breadiness. Some spice follows up the fruity, floral initial smell.

Taste: Yep, it's a hefeweizen. I don't know why I keep trying this style, I just don't like it. But I will review objectively...sweet fruits such as orange, banana, and pineapple are followed by biscuit like malts and then sour funkiness.

Mouthfeel: Body on the lighter side, low carbonation, makes my mouth water.

Drinkability: Low ABV, but way too sweet for my liking.

Overall: I love Two Brothers and this is probably a decent take on the style but I can't stomach it. That being said, I'm not a rich man so I will drink it all. Drain pours be damned! If you like hefeweizens I would at least suggest trying this and see what you think.

Ebel's Weiss Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company