Oh Brother! | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Added by silenius on 06-28-2005

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 96
2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured a hazy orange honey color into a snifter developing ZERO foam and leaving behind NO lacing. Quite the boring poor and look. Smell is super yeasty! I left the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, but the smell is quite overwhelming. Slightly sweet in the smell with hints of alcoholic phenols present. Smells almost like cough medicine. Taste is super sweet with hints of licorice, pale malts and a slight hop bitterness on the finish. Very floral and sweet. Mouthfeel is slick and viscous, but this could be due to the total lack of carbonation. Did I get a bad bottle?? I just didn't enjoy this one. I've normally enjoy just about every Tripel I've tried, but this just seemed to be more miss rather than hit.

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

While I've enjoyed other Two Brothers beer (in particular I like Cane & Abel), this one didn't do much for me. It is a tripel that is missing a lot of what I usually look for in a tripel: I didn't find this example to be very spicey/clovey, it didn't have much fruity flavor, and it lacked the champagne-like bubbles resulting from secondary fermentation that provide a smooth and tickling mouthfeel.

Color is straw. Head is exceedingly minimal. Aroma is very faint. I did get some fruitiness; maybe some isoamyl acetetate, but not much there. Flavor is very mild, a bit of brown sugar sweetness mixed with some additional fruitiness; some banana and maybe a bit of apple. Still, not much in the way of spice, not much in the way of fruitiness, and mouthfeel struck me as being downright flat.

This beer wasn't a bad drinking experience, but it just didn't represent what I really enjoy about tripels.

I can't say I'd recommend this. I bought this bottle at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

Found this in Chicago during the holidays, in a large bottle (Arrogant Bastard size). I was happy to try a new American tripel. So we poured it at my parent's house with loads of fanfare. But this tasted like sh|t.

I wonder why they call it a tripel. It's got some Bret type bacteria in it, kind of like a lambic or a wild ale. Or maybe it's just contaminated. Either way it was horrible. I couldn't finish 1 glass, the rest went down the drain.

2.28/5  rDev -37%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber poured into sam adams perfect pint glass. No freshness dating indicated.

A-Pours a slightly hazy light honey color. Minimal head on the pour. And a ring forms on the sides as I drink.

S-Banana. Alcoholic banana that is. Nothing much else to be had here.

T&MF-This beer has the worst banana taste I have ever had. Reminds me of that gawdy 99 Bananas liquor. After the punishing bananas flavors, in comes the horrible alcohol taste. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind boozy alcohol flavors in the appropriate style. But this is like rubbing alcohol or wood glue. Mouthfeel is a bit dry and carbonation could be a bit more for the style.

O-Im wondering if the fermentation temps were a bit too high. This is not a pleasure to drink and I doubt if I will finish it. More attention to detail needs to be considered if they are planning on doing this style again.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last