Zut Alors

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.08/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My 21st from Two Bros; almost double the next Chicagoland brewery (since GI is now a national. Also a circumspect point, but 21 also is a good age to learn to drink.... and that certainly will improve the car insurance pool.) Back to beer and Two Bros... I assessed my 21 Hads and think only 6 again I would pursue a third time (I'm a slow learner.) But, Zut Alors is one of them.

What's it got that makes it special ? First, Zut Alors....
Looks better than Domaine DuPage which is so clear (clear ales make me uncomfortable.)
Smells also are better, but that alone is not why I'd go back to Zut Alors.
Taste brings home the points. Refreshing in the attack and, then, all the fruity malt stays; nicely balanced (by my standards) with only 24 IBU.
Feel is less distinguished, but also good in my book: the hop bitterness and carbonation are moderate.
Best part, it is even better with my world-famous soup than the Two Bros "food beer", Domaine DuPage.

Not being a Francophile (in part because beer receives short shrift in that culture), I had to lookup "Zut Alors". It means "Oh Damn" in polite English; and to rest of us it means "Oh Crap!"... I presume as exclamation for a perilous situation.
So as I drained my bottle, I was filled with life's possibilities in these tumultuous times. What more can we ask from a beer when well over half your country is saying "Zut Alors!"

4/17/17 re-Had and edited my review. No change in rating. I only add that I am startled that six week later I am still the most recent review. Two Bros must not have bottled a lot of this. But I was lucky to find another at Beer Temple and I will soon look for a third. Zut Alors is at least 35% better than their cash cow (DuPage) and at least twice as funny.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I shared a bottle of this with my neighbor. It poured a clear amber with thin white head that did not leave much lace. The scent had hints of vanilla and bourbon like scent. The taste was slightly sour with some vanilla and bourbon like alcohol. The Mouthfeel was lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's ok certainly worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tasted in a 12 oz snifter from draught at Firkin on January 19, 2017. Look is amber with a thin head and little lacing. Smell and taste is vanilla, spice and barrel notes. Feel is medium in body.

Zut Alors from Two Brothers Brewing Company