Northwind Imperial Stout | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Dark delights like this were once shipped to the imperial court of Russia. With a firm, roasty maltiness balanced against a generous helping of hops, Northwind can stand up to the worst its namesake can dish out! Enjoy it by a roaring fire.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2002

4.85/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a simple black with a small head. The aroma presents light plum and raisin, as well as chocolate, reminding me strongly of a fruit and nut candy bar. The flavor begins again with fruit, plum and white grape, followed by some smooth, creamy flavors, ending with a hint or roastiness. The mouthfeel is creamy but not dense. Overall this is a superbly balanced stout. I must admit I have grown a bit tired of overbearing stouts and porters this year, and this beer is the perfect remedy, a symphony of balance tied together in a beautiful beer.

4.65/5  rDev +22%

I found out after trying this fantastic brew that it regularly comes in six packs as the next in a series of seasonals, but the brewery couldn't get the six-pack holders made in time, so they put it in a 22oz bottle this year. This beer pours brownish-black with a beautiful cascade and complimentary colored head. It smells the way a cup of coffee would had that cup been made by Hershey's. Yum! The only flaw in the whole beer is the mouthfeel, it could have been a little bit heavier for my taste. Some Russian Imperials can come off way too bitter or way to chocolate-y, not this one. It has great balance throughout and it's not too hard to put down a few bombers, even if it is 7.5%.

4.61/5  rDev +21%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Man, this is a black one, just how I like my RISs, 1/8" of head that disappeared in 15 seconds
S - Caramel and fruit. I'd use it as air freshener or cologne.
T - Good and malty. I love malt flavor and this has it in spades.
M - This is a chip-less, snack-less beer. Never a need to trade off tastes when drinking it. Let the taste sit there between sips.

I enjoyed my single bottle from the store and will do my best to get a 6-pack before the seasonal shipment leaves.

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lot # 3295.

Pours black in color without much head retention.

Aroma is of roasted malts, with notes of cocoa, molasses, black licorice... and more beautiful roasted malts.

Flavor is roasted and nice. It's simple. Probably very true to style. I notice dark roasted malts and black coffee with the slightest hint of chocolate and black licorice. Mostly, the flavor is of perfectly roasted malts. It's a touch boozy, but not more than it should be at 9.1%.

This is nicely done by the brewer. Very true to it's style. It lacks any exciting unique bells and whistles, but I'm taking that as a good thing here, because it's not lacking anything either. There's nothing wrong with making a beer exactly how it should be, and too often these days we are chasing an empty "the bigger the better" mindset with our craft beers.

This is good stuff. Extremely drinkable for an imperial stout. I could drink several of them.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Side note....a crazy beer store in town is selling this stuff for 6.49 a 6 pack. I have 2 1/2 cases of this aging. Man...are they dumb.

After taking a break from reviewing, I decided that it was time again and what a beer to start with.

Two Brothers Brewing is quickly becoming one of my favorites. These two guys do things right....period.

I love a thick stout and this one didn't disappoint. It has everything a top notch stout should have.

A - Black as fricking night. Very impressive! Oil and thick. Excellent.

S - Very good. Upon warming, the burnt malt and coffee notes become more evident.

T - One of the best stouts I have had. Period. Excellent. Burnt. Bitter. Thick. Caramel. Chocolate. Yeah....this is a guy stout and not one for babies. WOW.

M - Thick and delicious. Like maple syrup or molasses. Oil on the tongue. Wonderful....I could drink these all day.

D - High compared to other RIS because it only has 7.5% alcohol. Much lower than most RIS out there. Top Notch stout. I WILL be purchasing more of these.

Thanks guys...I am becoming a big fan.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured slowly down the side of a glass, there really is no head to mention of. A sniff of this stuff reveals hops, cocoa, and coffee. Mouth feel is just about thick, but not overbearing. Taste reveals an exceptional balance of malts, hops and sweetness. Much better blended then Storm King which i think is way to hoppy for my tastes. Northwind is a wonderfully easy to drink stout that, even though has a relatively high abv, doesn't knock your socks off with the burn. I think this stuff is slightly better then Rasputin, which i think is excellent in it's own right.

Northwind Imperial Stout from Two Brothers Brewing Company