Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Northwind Imperial Stout | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Dark delights like this were once shipped to the imperial court of Russia. With a firm, roasty maltiness balanced against a generous helping of hops, Northwind can stand up to the worst its namesake can dish out! Enjoy it by a roaring fire.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2002

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz.

Pours pitch black, rim of a light tan lacing for a head.

Smells of brown sugar and roasted coffee, maybe a hint of milk chocolate.

Flavor is of light cocoa with a roasted coffee and buttered toast undertone.

Full body with a viscous feel, light sting of carbonation throughout.

Tasty and drinkable stout, goes down really smooth and hides its strength well. Pretty enjoyable and looking forward to more.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

First review, bear with me.

Thanks to my buddy who left me in charge of drinking his beer since he had to move to the west coast.

Serving type:
Northwind Imperial Stout poured into a Surly Darkness Tulip from a bomber.
Bottle vintage is 2006.

Appearance:
The pour is a very dark brown yet you can still see through it with minimal light. Little lace that quickly disappears except for a tiny ring around the perimeter. Carbonation was fine considering the vintage. Once poured, this thing looks like motor oil. Jet black.

Smell:
At first pour, I smelled smoke, I was a bit disappointed this would be a smoky beer. Maybe it needed to breathe but the smokiness disappeared. Some coconut in the air, a little bit of chocolate fudge, hints of vanilla.

Taste:
You can definitely taste the hops in this imperial stout. Considering it's over 7 years old. Bitterness isn't quite there of course but boy I was surprised. I can still taste the coconut and more of the chocolate. Vanilla flavors are non existent. A little bit of that burnt/smokiness but not heavy at all. I'm 'sensitive' to the burnt/smokiness and i'm not a fan of it overall but this is dandy.

Mouthfeel:
This is a thin beer. Probably as designed and not a bad thing. I mentioned carbonation early and it's definitely there. In typing this quick review, I burped out a few times already. Carbonation/fizzyness tickles the tongue. A little dryness after a drink and can taste the hops' slight bitterness.

Overall:
I must say, this is a fun beer. Definitely one you can age. As a disclaimer, I never had Northwind fresh but this overall feels like a fresh beer I just opened. I'm curious on buying one fresh to compare. This beer had no signs of oxidation and could probably hang out in the cellar a few more years. I have one more bottle of 06 vintage so I might just do that.
edit: currently the ABV for this is 9.10% but the bottle label is 8.5%

3.54/5  rDev -7.1%

On draft, pours a jet black with a finger of head that thins but lasts.

Not much aroma here at all, maybe a little bit of roasted grain but not much else.

Tastes of roasted grain, chocolate and toffee followed by a hop bitterness that lingers

Moderately carbonated, not as chewy as I usually like my RIS,but only 9%abv.

Overall, not as flavorful as I usually like these beers but easy drinking and not too strong.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Jet black with a frothy white head. Slightest head maintained throughout my pour.

Smell: Roasted, smoke, chocolate, coffee nose. But subtle!

Taste: Smoke, roasted forward taste with a creamy chocolate/coffee finish. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Not a meal but not a an easy drink. It is meant to be enjoyed over time.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Poured quite darkly from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The stout has a nice opacity to it and a brown head was briefly present. What remains of the head does leave a nice lacing on the glass.

S: I'm left a tiny bit wanting here, though it is nice that the high (9.1% ABV) doesn't overpower. There are roasted malt and coffee overtones, but I get nothing underneath. Not much subtlety to this brew.

T: Pretty damn decent, overall. The taste matches the smell (malt and coffee) and the alcohol lingers pleasantly on the tongue. I want to taste the alcohol in a Russian Imperial Stout, and this fits the bill.

M: Again, largely pleasant. This is not a heavy stout by my standards, but it has a nice dryness on the finish.

O: Two Brothers Brewing has done very well with North-Wind. The Imperial Stout is probably my favorite kind of beer, and this ranks right up there with the best, though the flavors aren't quite as BOOM as I would like.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%