Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale | Two Brothers Brewing Company

1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

1.48/5  rDev -60.8%

Cloying....

1.84/5  rDev -51.3%

This beer is awful. It claims to be a french style country ale. If a French style country ale means brown ale, then yes this is a french style country ale.

This brewery obviously did no research on true authentic biere de garde. I was expecting to get a little sour, a little sweet, reddish hue in color beer. This beer just turned out to be a bellow average brown ale at best. It tasted like a glorified newcastle.

Next time why don't you try a french style country ale before you try and make one because if i did know any better this brewery just puts what ever they feel like on their labels. This is the second beer I have had from two brothers and will most certainly be my last.

1.88/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Paid $7.99 for a six-pack.

Looks fine, smells nice - kind of woody. Taste is terrible, far too sour and not enough beer. Sourness is indescribable, but it dominates the beer and is impossible to get past. .

I wish I hadn't bought a sixer of this crap.

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazed brown amber body. Red highlights really shine when held to the light. Half finger off white/light tan head show poor retention. Light streaks of lace that fall back into the glass when I drink this one down.

S- Some sweet malt gets overtaken by darker fruit....I mean a ton of prune really. Hints of brown sugar here and there but mostly just darker fruit dominates the aroma.

T- Caramel malts mix in the a light darker fruit in the front of the beer. This comes to light brown sugar flavor in the middle with a bready malt base backbone. The darker fruits kick this back up a notch along with caramel malts and a light alcohol flavor.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is alright for the style. Caramel malts, brown sugar, and darker fruits left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet alcohol and darker fruits with a hint of caramel malts. Medium drying on the palate. Flavors are not really balanced on this at all. Light metallic off flavor does make this beer a little off putting flavor wise.

D- This beer might have been a little off and I will review it when I get another bottle. For now this beer is a horrible drinker and I think they did not hit the style at all. Oh well some people might like this but not me.

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Purchased at Heritage Liquores in St. Paul MN.

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.
3 finger fluffy white head. The head quickly disipated into a filmy layer over the beer. Laceing is present.

Smell is of burnt toast, almost a stout grain style here. Does not smell like an ale. No fruity dough, citrussy notes to be found. Theres sweatness, but burtn toast is the prodominent smell.

Taste is sweeat and honey like, with caramel aftertones. Then at the swallow, burnt toast is back in full effect. This is very malty, with no real hop aroma or flavor.
I'm sure the burnt taste and smell is purposlfull. But it almost seems like the malt syrup was added without stirring or somthing, as it tastes undesireable.

Mouthfeel is thin and overcarbonated. Its a drainpour for me.

2.41/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle says best by 18 Aug 2011.

Pours a fairly deep, coppery amber, and clear, with a thin whitish head that recedes pretty slowly, leaving nice sticky lacing.

Smell is nicely sweet, dominated by caramel malts and light fruit. I get a bit of spice, and no hops at all. Smells a bit bland, actually.

Taste is, well, pretty bland. Gentle toasted malts, a touch of bitterness that comes in in the middle and carries on through the finish. But it really doesn't taste like much. I get no fruits, very little hops, no spice, no alcohol. I'm quite shocked at how bland it is. Did I get a bad bottle?

Medium-bodied, with rather light carbonation.

I found this beer to be very dull. Not much flavor to it at all. Disappointed in it, and do not plan on drinking it again, unless someone can convince me it's a lot better than this bottle I had. Thinking maybe I was drinking it too cold, I let it warm up. But then it tasted worse (stronger, but more unpleasant, flavors). Down the drain it goes.

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

12 oz into pint glass

A: Pours really dark with lots of sediment and a huge 4 finger plus dark tan head.

S: Butterscotch sweet smelling, caramel, malts. Yeasty and fruity. Kind of like fruitcake.

T: I'm not too fond of this one. Really strong tasting and sweet. Doesn't seemed to be balanced very well. Maybe I got a bad beer. I'll have to review it again.

M: The only thing that was decent in this review.

D: I only drank half of the beer. It was too strong and syrupy for me. Like I said before. I'll review again, to see if I just got a bad beer.

2.49/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to copper color with an off white head. In the aroma, mellow gingerbread note, but very faint. Inthe aroma, a faint earthiness and a small spice, but thin. A small spice bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry spice in the aftertaste. OK, but really nothing notable.

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

just don't like it ok

2.56/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Let's break it down:

Look: Awesome! A wonderful, inviting ruddy amber with a white, macro-lager head.

Smell: Yeast Funk mixing with a twing of malt

Taste: Like a mouthful of cloves. If you like cloves, you'll love this beer. If you don't . . . errrr . . . why are you drinking it?

Mouthfeel: Thick and round. Reallly nice.

Drinkability: I don't live the clove taste. At all. Yuck. Can barely finish one.

I get where they are going with this beer, and it succeeds admirably. Too bad what they were shooting for wasn't good taste.

2.67/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

medium brown amber in color with a light amber head. smells a burnt caramel. Taste follows the smell with a very slight bitter after taste. Not offense but would get again.

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

On tap at Clark Street. Pours a medium amber with a sweet malt smell and taste. Very lightly bittered. Faintest hint of belgium yeast like influence to it, but not much. Kind of drying in the finish, but still sweet flavored. Decent but unremarkable compared to some of their other beers, I thought.

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

A- Pours a dark burnt-orange color with a nice tan colored head. Head has ok retention and leaves no lacing. Great color here in this one.

S- Smell is a bit biscuity malt, darker roasted grains, no hops at all and a bit of a funk to it.

T- A little fruity and grainy. A bit of an off funky taste here. Some what herbal and Earthy too. Nothing really went well together.

M- Medium in body and fairly light in carbonation.

D- This one must not be for me. I thought it was pretty odd and just hard for me to drink. Good luck.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%