Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by zerk on 05-15-2002

Reviews: 518 | Ratings: 1,466
3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass.

A - Beautiful bright copper color with a very creamy white head that dissipates slowly leaving a thick coating of lace all around the glass.

S - A little bit of a musty, dusty aroma that has hints of fresh grain, light hops, and a subdued floral, pollen sweetness to it. Very nice scent that smells fresh and old at the same time.

T - Greeted with a very nice crystal malt biscuitiness up front...again, very fresh tasting. A touch of light bittering hops and more fresh malty sweetness. Seems like the word for this one is "fresh". Very nice.

M - Very creamy with a very smooth carbonation. Perfect balance in this mouthfeel, perhaps the best quality of this beer.

D - Extremely drinkable, would be great for a nice session with six of these and a tasty cheese platter. Overall, one of my favorite offerings from Two Brothers.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

On-tap at Bryant Lake Bowl

Appearance: Dark orange that's easily seen through and teeny tiny head.

Smell: Berries, hay, muted brown sugar.

Taste: Sweet dark cherries with an obvious amount of malt. Because this beer is as malty as it is it almost comes off as a scotch ale. The other flavors I could detect behind the sweet caramel malt and cherry was a little bit of citrus fruit, apple, and some earthy hops. Apparently this is a biere de garde, which is a style I've never tried before so I'm not sure if Two Brothers got it right here or not.

Mouthfeel: Medium body medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I'm not usually one for sweet so I wouldn't have too many in a sitting but I may pick up a six pack in the near future.

Overall: Two Brothers has been slightly hit or miss for me, but when they hit they HIT. That's probably why I keep trying their stuff. Give this beer a shot, see what you think.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours an opaque copper color. A slight, yellow, cream colored head fizzles out rather quickly to s slight film around the edges. The is very little sediment hanging around the middle of my glass with some small, slow rising carbonation bubbles. There is no lacing.

S - There is a slight but pleasant roasted malt aroma with some earthy undertones.

T - Some sweet roasted malt tastes up front with notes of honey and smoked peat. There are some earthy tones to this also. Hop character is kept at a minimum. A chewy malt and cream after taste.

M - Medium mouthfeel here. Good amount of carbonation that helps bring out the flavors nicely.

D - A good beer with good qualities. Nothing outstanding, but a good staple for this style.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

I love to give local craft beers like this a try.

A - Red to amber in color. Head is a thin layer with decent carbonation.

S - Has the floral aroma working for it but not much else here

T - Toasty, sweet, carmelly tasting malts and just enough of a sticky hop bite.

M - Light, smooth, and sticky

D - Enough balance for me to come back for more but not what I would like to have as a session beer.

Overall, it is a good local craft beer. Would be a great beer for you if you like a balance of sweet, caramel malts to go along with a mild hop flavor.

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

I'm more of a Cook County fan myself but I'll give this one a shot.

Poured an opaque, ruby burnt orange. Steady lacing throughout.

Smells of sweet toasted malt, along with a nice bit of citrus and pure cane sugar.

a toasty flavor with caramel apple and maple syrup, very sweet.

A surptisingly light body but a bit dry.

Because this is such a sweet brew I would only drink one or two of these per session, but would definitley consider returning to for one on a consistent basis.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into a tulp glass. Was a dark amber color with a white head that laced away. Aroma was of malt, cane sugar and oak. Not heavily carbonated. Flavors included light amounts of Saaz hops, coriander, and malt; slightly bitter, and a light sweetness.

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber to gold in color with nice foam and some lacing. Mild aroma. Enjoyable malty taste. Very mild, but suprisingly complex. Lingers in the mouth and goes down easy. Overall a very enjoyable brew.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

An extra in a trade. Thought I would give this farmhouse ale/biere de garde a go on a nice, spring night on the patio. Thanks robbiemoy13!

2012 vintage. Best before 5/10/2012. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

A: Pours a deep amber color with a finger of fluffy white head. Decent head retention and significant lacing.

S: Musty and yeasty with hints of apricot and maybe some pear. It smells more musty than anything, and it seems pretty true to the style.

T: Musty and yeasty with just a touch of the pear. Very well-balanced. The finish is crisp and clean with the hops, but a nice malty sweetness lingers a little bit. This is actually hitting the spot and would serve as a nice table beer.

M: Moderately carbonated. I would normally want a little more carbonation with this style. However, the sweet malts are really picking up the slack there. The finish is crisp and clean, and it is quite pleasant.

O: I have never had anything from Two Brothers before, so I didn't quite know what to expect. This beer is a nice surprise. If this was a bomber, it would be a great table beer for a family dinner. As it stands, it's a nice example of a farmhouse ale that doesn't try to do too much, yet is well-executed. I would have this again, and I would be open to trying other beers from Two Brothers

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Reddish Amber color with good head retention that will dissipate into a thin film.

The aroma is wine-like. Sour cherry - almost like the aroma of a tart red Burgundy.

There's a toasty flavor with caramel apple on the palate and a bruleed sugar character.

Oily mouthfeel.

Very tasty brew, however, I couldn't drink many of these. It's very mood and food specific.

A: Poured into an oversized tulip Duvel goblet, deep copper with a thin head, and some wispy swirls on top. Not much noticable carbonation.

S: Smell of caramel, toasted malts, hint of yeast and something floral.

T: Malty sweet flavor, mixed in with some hops. Finished malty, with a slight lingering citrus aftertaste.

M&D: Medium bodied, easy to drink, nicely balanced.

It was not what I expected, since I never experienced a "French Style Country Ale", brewed in Warrenville, IL. It reminded me very much of a Belgian-style brew. Definitely worth sampling.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Two Brothers never fails to please and DD advertised as their flagship I admire their boldness to treat us to an original flavor.

A-Dark rust with yellow bubbles leaving solid lacing and not too much head.

S-Yeast and fruit, alcohol punch.

T-Smooth and creamy, yeasty and fruit. Malt finish with twang of bitterness and sweet aftertaste.

M-Creamy and smooth.

D-Comfortable taste quenches my thirst and makes me thirsty for more.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

This style of beer is not my favourite; but since it is the only Two Brothers that Gemato's serves, and I should be eternally grateful for that, I have had a lot of it. Very nice warm chestnut colour, which always sports a generous head when served (usually way too cold in this place). Malty caramel aroma predominates. Pleasant on the palate, slightly sweet, malt dominates, very low hop and bitter component.

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance is clear copper with ruby highlights. Received a disappointing "frat pour" otherwise known as no room left for decent foam, but it looks like an off-white head and it had decent lacing throughout. Aroma is very faint, but I'm in a typical college bar so I would be surprised if I could smell anything beyond the stale beer, ashtray and urinal cake. Anyhoo, what I could detect was some sweet malt, faint fruity esters, and some flowery noble hops. Taste is bursting with some awesome toasted malt with a slightly fruity sweetness of plum, cherry, and brown sugar. Those flowery noble hops have a moderate flavor and blend nicely with the malt but leave only a slight hop bitterness on the tongue. Medium mouthfeel is very smooth and finishes dry that makes for a very refreshing tasting experience. An excellent example of an amber style bier de garde and absolutely wonderful on tap.

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Unexceptional. Clear penny copper with almost no head and no lacing at all.

S: Chocolate, toasted malts. Heavy, but not overly complex.

T: Cereal grains, chocolate, malts...heavier than it looks.

M: Fairly flat overall, not as fresh as I think it ought to be.

Not a great beer by a company that is otherwise pretty exceptional.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

12 ounce bottle
Pours an amber hue in to the chalice with a decent head. Moderate carbonation rises to the top and forms an off-white 1" head. The aroma was a little fainter than I expected. Malty caramel and fruits, but not what I would expect from a saison. Same for the taste. There's a slight hop finish to balance it very nicely. The mouthfeel was disappointing. Flash-in-the-pan wateriness and it was gone. No lingering spiciness that I expected from a saison. More of a mild brown ale to me. Not a bad beer by any means, but it didn't blow me away. Good beer with food as it doesn't overpower, but emhances. I would drink it again.

With such an elegant label, I expected a little more. We all make mistakes.

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber color, off white head, some lacing. Malty pilsner smell with some hop presence, stone fruit aromas from the yeast. Malty taste with slight farmhouse/brett character, funky without being barnyard or horsey, yeast provides some stone fruit qualities. Typical body, rather crisp finish. Would drink again.

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%

Crisp, sweet, smooth, wet, malty and all that. No smoke, no hops, but a slight bitterness. It reminded me (very briefly) of a Fischer Traditional Amber but brewed better and without the carbonation.

I give it a high rating because this is a great session beer and a great beer for BMC drinkers. I wouldn't consider this a great beer for savoring or appreciating the complexity. Get this if you want to have a couple, maybe to side up a steak. I would bring some of this to a party where the majority of people didn't explore much into their beer.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a clear golden-brown, with a creamy off-white cap. The nose is rather subtle with yeast and slightly toasted malt come out alongside hints of apple and pear. A very crisp balanced finish. It says on the palate then slowly dissipates. Thanks Heritage Liquor!

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

A great craft brew. It went very well with the great burger I had at DMK.
Spicy smell and taste. Hints of carmel. Good mouth feel and very easy to drink.
Very good white head. Reddish carmel clear colour. A gentle hop aroma with a decent bitter finish.

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle dated best by 12/29/12 (I think). Poured into tulip glass.

This is an exceptionally pretty beer. Pours a nice, cloudy amber color with an inch of cream colored head. Very nice lacing as well. On the nose, bready malts with a hint of cherries...cherry coffeecake. Down the hatch, more of the same malty/cherry notes. Light sour notes are detected as well. Mouthfeel is nice: balanced, medium.

I've had this plenty of times, and had some left over from a Halloween party. Good change of pace for my tastes.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes deep red with virtually no head, but tons of lacing. Strange. There were toasty caramel notes in the nose, but pretty subtle.

I'm really digging the taste on this one. It's sweet upfront, but the toastiness and slight hops on the back-end balance it out. Very well crafted. Not a ton of carbonation in the head, but it's a beer that's meant to go down smooth. Boy does it. I'd love to knock back a couple more and at this ABV, I just might.

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

A very pleasant surprise from Two Brothers (and my buddy Jim B for setting me up). I've had mixed luck with the Biere du garde style but this one is a winner. Pours a luxurious brown with a slight head; the aroma and taste is delicious with a notable hint of caramel. Very drinkable at 5.9% - very well balanced between malty sweetness and hop. It's on my shopping list...

Edit 3-24-2012: Tried this again and ws not as impressed as in 2011. It was still good but didn't make as big an impression as last time. Not sure if this is due to variability in the brewing or an artifact of the style - biere du gardes have been quite variable in my experience.

2.78/5  rDev -26.5%

This is the third Two Brothers beer I brought back from Chicago and, like the others, it would do better if I were to judge it solely by its appearance. It's a hazy dull copper with a medium-sized light fawn head. As I drink, pretty mountains of lacing form on the side of the glass.

Also like the others, this one doesn't have much scent. What's there is sweet and fruity in a slightly syrupy way. Eventually I realize what it reminds me of; it has the creaminess of Gale's Christmas Ale, but without the spiciness.

I take a taste and am somewhat disappointed. The taste is slightly watery, and rather wimpy and thin. A nondescript fruitiness composes most of the taste. The "legs" on the glass look rather thick and oily; that, along with a certain winelike aspect of the taste, makes me suspect that there are some tannins involved.

After examining the overall taste and brooding on the finish, it becomes apparent that this beer's main problem is one of balance. Normally the hops wouldn't show through so much in a French ale. But this one is so thin, one-dimensional, and uninteresting up front that the hops in the finish end up overbalancing the whole affair. Also, certain elements that should be invogorating somehow manage to fall flat. The carbonation doesn't feel very interesting or lively; it's there, but it somehow feels dead. During the finish the woody tannins languish on my tongue in a rather uninspiring way. I won't be bothering with any more of this.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep copper and amber color, almost no head. Lacey on the glass

S: It doesn’t have an overpowering nose, smells of caramel and malt can be lightly noted.

T: Wonderfully rich and malty beer, not too heavy. Tastes of caramel, lightly fruity/citrus taste and a delightfully slightly bitter end and taste of hops on the finish

M: Medium, not too thick

O: Was one of my staple beers for a long time. Had this first at their brewpub and fell in love immediately. It’s named for the county I grew up in too which is a nice local touch. I highly recommend it, there’s just a character to it that I really like and don’t find all that often in beers.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am from Northern IN and now reside in NE IL... Have seen 2 Brothers @ my Favorite Beer Store, Woodmans...
I like this beer and am learning to appreciate the local craft/micro beer companies, but am thinking I picked the wrong 1st 2Bro brew.. It's a fine beer to be certain, but my taste buds are evolving from an adjunct mass produced brew to a more refined beer with character and distinction.. I will say that this beer is crisp, has a clean sweetness, and finishes with class .. a floral beauty to be sure.. My taste buds have been seeking a hoppy, IPA bitter appreciation as of late.. But 2 Bro is a pleasant change to my recent beersperation so to speak.. I may review again after a 2nd try, but this French Country entry is good. Just not sure it's where my beer mind is wandering.. It's definitely a class beer.. and I need to grow up from an adjunct mentality to a classy Micro-Brew entry.. Will re-visit as my taste buds mature in a world of every changing beer-scape..

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company