Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale | Two Brothers Brewing Company

3.81/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,528 |  Reviews: 534

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

a strange brew here, to dial up a classic rock reference this morning. French style country ale, was I naïve to think this was going to be a saison? it pours a surprising maple amber color, with only a little cloudiness, and a very short lived white head. it doesn't look or smell like any saison ive seen, instead emitting aromas of coppery toasted barley and an acidic wine like ester that must come from the yeast. the flavor isn't so abstract, its pretty much an amber ale on the malt front, sweeter, a tad dry, and caramel or toffee teasing. the yeast makes this interesting, but it doesn't totally work, green apple tartness, and a funny complexity that seems an accident, like the odd mix of smells in well used dishwater, rather than a meticulously honed fine ale. still, the final product doesn't taste bad at all, its just a style of beer I wasn't expecting, and I am not sure what it is, it seems quite far from the traditional biere de gardes of the world. it needed more carbonation, and the sweetness was an out of place last note. I did enjoy this beer in retrospect, but it was confusing and challenging to me at the same time. I will look for more from two brothers.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was another recent acquisition during my visit to Mari's Six Pax 'n' Mor in Reading. I was surprised to see Two Brothers in PA and since this was one of the few that I had not tried previously at some point, it went into the carrier. It then took a back seat as I wended my way through a backlog of AIPAs and such, plus I was admittedly ignorant of the style until today and shied away from it until I could conduct sufficient research as to give myself some traction.

From the bottle: "French Style Country Ale"; "This food-friendly ale is deep amber in color, with a toasty, sweet caramel start. It finishes with just enough hops to clean off the palate. Bon appetit!"; "Two Brothers is a craft brewery on the outskirts of Chicago that specializes in rare and seldom-brewed beer styles. The two of us - Jason and Jim Ebel - strive to produce the very best beers available anywhere. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!"

I hope so too as I do not want to be duped in my own domain! Having learned my lesson with an earlier iteration of the style, I went with a kinder, gentler pour on this one. I ended up with a finger of foamy, deep-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was an elegant deep-amber, close to copper, with NE-quality clarity. Speaking of Nebraska, I recently got turned onto (both literally and figuratively) Val MidWest, a young lady from Lincoln who has an adult website and recently made news when she returned to her Catholic high school for an after-hours photo shoot! The nose on this was was really sweet, almost syrupy in its intensity with an underlying scent of dried dark fruits. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was unexpectedly less sweet than I had anticipated. Instead, it had a fruity quality, almost like fruitcake. In fact, that is exactly what it reminded me of with its bready, malty backbone to accompany the fruitiness! Wild. Finish was semi-sweet and actually quite refreshing in its reserved nature. This had the potential to be an over-the -top malt bomb but the masterful use of the yeast really worked well with the malt. I would recommend giving this a try.

Domaine DuPage French Style Country Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company