Cane And Ebel | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

Added by murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Ratings: 1,712 |  Reviews: 643

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

7/27/2012 best by date.

12 oz. bottle poured into pint.

A: Deep amber, clear, with a thin white head. Dissipates into a crown of lacing.

S: Gives off moderate rye, deep earthy hops, some pine, caramel...

T: Oh man...this one is good. The pine/earth hops are fairly strong for most of the taste. The spicy and sour rye takes over near the finish. There's a nice toffee malt undertone, as well. No perception of alcohol at all.

M: Slightly heavier than medium and super smooth.

O: My favorite rye beer and a prime example of the style. It has a nice dose of hops, which I like, and a nice dose of rye, which I also like. The mouthfeel is great, as well. Glad to have this beer super-local.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

Allow me to preface saying that Hop Juice is one of my favorite beers I have ever had and I love Bell's Hopslam, and I am no stranger to hops...

Appearance: Pours an amber/red with a heavy head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Heavy hops, that is about all I can smell. Probably Simcoe or Columbus.

Taste: I like IPA's, I really do, but this is just not doing it for me. I know it is a rye beer, but I have not had another rye to compare. This just tastes like it has very little balance besides just heavy hops. I get sweetness on the tip of my tongue, but in the short time it takes to get to the back everything is overwhelmed by hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin, tastes undercarbonated, possibly the reason for the overwhelming hops.

Overall: If you want hops with no balance, here is your beer. I like hops, but I cannot find one bit of sweetness or redeeming taste to allow anything but hops to be tasted in this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%