Cane And Ebel | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

Added by murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

4.2

Ratings: 1,713 |  Reviews: 643
4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tumbler.

A: Pours a spiced rum brown with a nice two fingered lumpy head that sticks around for a while and leaves some lacing.

S: Malt and hops with a musty earthy backbone. Not too much rye in the nose.

T: The perfectly balanced hops and malts burst onto the tongue first and then the sour rye comes through, leaving a rye aftertaste.

D: Solid drinkability, the alcohol is well hidden and the beer is refreshing and creamy on the tongue.

Overall: I like this one! I like rye bread and I think that the rye was well transferred into the flavour. Its a very original, engaging beer that I will definitely be returning to. Recommended!

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a bottle into my new Stone pint glass.

Pours a reddish amber hue that's quite clear and transparent. Not too much of a head fluffs up during the pour, but there's a thin quarter inch cap that appears and leaves some loose stringy lacing. Smell is extremely complex with many different things going on at once. Floral hops are quite prevalent, along with citrus and dark fruits. As the brew warms, a distinct sweetness can be detected, ranging from milk chocolate(?!) to toasted malts to a spicy breadiness that I can only assume to be the rye. Very interesting and enticing bouquet!

Sweet caramel malts are all over the initial sip, giving way to the hops from the nose. Bitterness coats the tongue, but not in an overpowering way, and it rides the rest of the way into the swallow. Other flavors come out to play along the way, including the chocolate and the spicy rye breadiness and that thai palm sugar advertised on the bottle. Sweet yet hoppy at the same time. Wow! Aftertaste is a mix of all the flavor profiles and lingers quite a bit on the tongue. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with some light carbonation.

With an interesting balance of flavors, this brew is definitely one to try out. I didn't know what to expect from it, but boy did it throw me for a loop with its unique sweet 'n spiciness. A beer I would gladly revisit if given the chance.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from the bottle into a stemmed tulip. Recieved this in a generous BIF box from Sopernicus

A - Dark, dark red-purple almost black. Reminds me of the color of a plum. A small white head rests on top

S - Kind of a fruity aroma with some spicy rye notes. Not picking up much here however.

T - rich malts mingle with spicy rye notes. Some citrusy hop notes in the finish along with other dark fruit flavors. Malt is the first thing you notice before the hops take over. Well balanced

M - Medium body, creamy, nice low amount of carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable. Interesting mix of flavors. Nothing really turns me off in this beer but there isn't much that wow's me either. Worth trying and I wouldn't mind drinking this again but I don't see myself seeking it out.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Deep, murky rusty color with red on the edges. The carbonation literally hangs in limbo near the top, giving this wonderfully hearty appearance. Thick soapy head that leaves a hearty lace that sticks around to the last drop.

S - Spicy, floral scent that ends with a great grain profile. I swear I can smell cream in the scent as well. It's an awesome combo.

T - I don't know where to begin, the complexity is great in this beer. All the promises the aroma makes make good in the taste, with a great rye spice and bitterness that is incredibly enjoyable. I never thought I would catch the palm sugar in this brew, but it's definitely present, and works great with the rest of the flavors.

M - Creamy as hell, and I love it. rolls around on my tongue and is almost as present and important as the taste.

D - Damn this beer is deceiving. Can't even begin to detect a 7% ABV. Not something I could drink 10 of in a night given the ABV, despite me wanting to. But I would take this rye beer every chance I could get it. The sweetness rounds out that spicy/hoppy flavor so nicely.

This is my favorite Two Brothers beer to date. The complexity in its smell and taste rocks, and the experience drinking this beer is just all around enjoyable.

4.53/5  rDev +11%

Every time I drink this beer I find something new to love. I don't know what they put in there, but I wish they would distribute in in Vermont so I didn't have to drive all the way to Chicago for it.

The color is orangey-amber, like butterscotch sundae topping. The head is thick and white and you could float a quarter on it.

It smells like citrus and pine. The body is huge, and the flavors- well, like I said, I seem to find something new every time. I swear I detected a note of cantaloupe in the last one. This is a big, bitter, fruity and delicious beer. A great way to introduce a newbie to IPAs because it doesn't smack you in the face.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Received recently in a very generous box from callmemickey. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Appearance: pours a shadowy burgundy, almost completely opaque, with hues ranging from copper to chocolate revealed by a hold to the light. A half-finger head of light tan appears late and dissipates after about a minute, leaving behind a lingering, bubbly ring. Some stained glass lacing is left behind as I drink.

Smell: on the hop side, there are vinous, dank, floral hops, reminding of grass, roses and orange peel. On the malty side, a lightly toasted yet spicy an unmistakeable rye character shows itself amidst lots of sugar, honey and caramel. This strikes a fantastic balance.

Taste: sticky icky hops and peppery lemon-rind, backed by rye and toasted bread. The sweetness in the nose isn't too apparent here, traded off for lingering bitter, grassy hops. Well-balanced, but not too exciting.

Feel: the carbonation lightly massages the tongue while I roll the smooth, medium-bodied brew across the palate. As it warms, the beer pulls itself together even more, increasing in both body and creaminess. It's a delight on the palate.

Drink: It's nice to see what a subtle yet interesting aspect rye can bring to a beer when handled with skill and a light touch. Cane & Ebel take a break from their historically antagonistic qualities and work together wonderfully in this beer. It's all very well-balanced and enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle into a nonic.

A: Fine tan head maxes out at about half an inch in height, over a clear, burnished brown body. Head dissipates into a very thin ring with slight webbed lacing.

S: Nice herbal hops, tangy rye, and a vaguely fruity, almost cherry scent. Almost like iced tea at times, in a very good way.

T: Good hop kick throughout, but not overpowering of the sour rye and the sugar. Just enough sweetness in the finish to keep this very drinkable. Taste largely follows the nose. Very good.

M: Coats the tongue nicely, with a somewhat astringent feeling. Medium carbonation.

D: High. Great balance of hops, rye, and maltiness. Not at all boozy feeling for 7% abv. Almost sessionable, if it were a little less alcoholic. I could (and often do) get pretty tipsy on this if I'm not careful. A great beer, and reasonably priced.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz bottle into snifter: from notes
A: This ale pours a deep amber, brown body, that is red around the edges in the light. The head pours a nice one in. froth, that retreats to a spotty layer on the top of the glass. The lacing that is left is in the form of very small carbonation bubbles on the glass that are very well dispersed. A slow and steady twirl of carbonation is seen in the glass.

S: A nice note of rye is present with subtle undertones of smoke. A nice deep aroma, that shows a bit of how strong this brew is. While the intensity is a bit on the lower side, it helps its overall drinkablity.

T/M: The first notes off the nose are a combination of rich malts and hops that hit the palate in a balanced form. The mouthfeel is the quintessential Two Brothers creaminess. The medium body is very smooth and easy to put down, no thickness to this one, just a very silky mouthfeel. The off notes are very nutty and roasted, the hops seem to only be present on the front, while this one has many layers, they are all nicely balanced. The finish is semi-chewy, but very enjoyable.

D: This is a great rye ale, many layers of complexities and s great taste that has you coming back for more. I find this to be a really drinkable brew for the autumn season, as it brings out nice semi-smokey flavors and hold a nice roasted, nutty finish. Well hidden ABV and oh so smooth.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

What an awesome beer. Dark amber with a stable head, smells like a sort of grainy citrus, hits all of a hop-head's pleasure centers but also tangy with the sugar and balanced well with the rye malt, all of which just sort of makes it grow and sit in your mouth in pleasant ways rather than being abrasively hoppy. Very sweet so some people might not like it for that reason, but it's got a lot of complex notes--this time, the orange, the grapefruit, and the spice bite were the most prominent for me.

I had one at the beginning of departmental happy hour and wanted to go back for a second, but they were all gone when I looked around later! Am going to enjoy buying my own and maybe updating this review with something even more substantial.

4.7/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured in an imperial pint. Pours a deep copper red.

Excellent dry hop in the nose, grain and molasses.

Taste demonstrates an excellent balance hop and malt, hiding a moderately high abv for the style.

This beer is the highlight of the variety 24 pack from Costco and a long time go to beer. I was pleased when they added it to their year round lineup, and switched it from four to six pack without increasing the price.

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Pours a murky reddish/brown color. At first a two finger beige head forms with good retention initially. The bubbly foam recedes to a tiny cap, with some light patchy lace.
S: A big powerful aroma comes billowing out. At first, passion fruit of pineapple and melons. Citrus and pine as well. There is a bit of spice, I think more from hops than anything. Really well balanced with toasted malt, and sweet toffee. A big bready aroma from the rye as well. Excellent.
T: Follows the nose, but with much more bready rye that I love. A substantial hop presents of passion fruit, citrus, and pine. Though toasted rye bread, toffee, and some brown sugar gives this incredible depth. Again, excellent.
M/D: A nice full body that is well carbonated. Lightly resiny and syrupy. Though really creamy and smooth. The alcohol has a nice punch, but still a great beer to drink. I can quaff a few with no problem.

This is a very nice beer. One of the best rye beers I have had. Up there with the best of the Rye Pale Ales. Something I highly recommend.

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance- Pours a deep orange brown color. 1 - 1 1/2 inch head that fades quickly.

Smell- Very bready from the rye. I pick up hints of nutmeg and orange. I feel the smell could be improved. A little heavy on the bread, not much else.

Taste- Opens up sweet and malty, get some nice bread/rye elements, and finishes with a dry bitter taste. I'm getting some orange and maybe grapefruit.

Mouthfeel- the medium body works well for the beer and the hops have a nice kick.

Drinkability - It's a nice beer. I had 1, my companion had 3. This one is really dependent on what you taste and how the character hits you. I'm big on smells, and didn't find the aroma of this beer quite as pleasing as other Ryes I've tried. It's a solid beer and would try again.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Cane & Ebel pours a striking, dark red color with a thin white head. The nose is almost overwhelmed by citrusy, fragrant hops, but there is something lingering under the surface that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps, this taste is sweetness from the malt or a combination of aromas. It's kind of funky, but surprisingly appealing.

The beer tastes a lot like it smells. It starts out with a smooth, caramel maltiness that is overpowered by a hoppy finish. Like the smell, there is an interesting, funky taste on the surface, maybe a combination of the rye and hops. The mouthfeel is quite pleasing; at first, smooth and crisp. There is a noticeable and building carbonation that dances along the palate, adding to the fun of consumption.

As a sum of its components, this is a very drinkable beer. Maybe not a great session beer, but I would like to go have another one right now.

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance- pours deep amber to brown in color. 1 finger off white head. Faded quick, but left nice lacing while drinking the pint.

Smell- Some light citrus smelling hops. Rye, bready.

Taste- Follows the aroma, but thankfully much much more pronounced. Fairly sweet and malty up front, the rye is definitly felt in the middle part of the drink, a bit bitter on the finish.

Mouthfeel- medium carbonation/ body. works very well.

Overall- This is a very servicable rye beer. It didnt blow me away, but is a great option when you want to have a solidly crafted beer, without needing to over analyze it for any reason. A few of these on a sunday afternoon watching your favorite football team would be perfect.

2.27/5  rDev -44.4%

Thanks to jamnescameron for including this as an extra in the Blind Bomber BIF. This was a big want of mine I can now cross off. Thanks man. Included in the package was a Two Brothers branded American pint glass. It only seemed logical to pair the beer with the glass.

The beer pours a deep ruby-orange with a light nutmeg highlighted head covering about three fingers worth of space. Copious lacing make this look really good!

The smell could be better. Muted tropical hops and sweet malts need some work.

Taste is sweet weak brewed tea, metal, charred caramel malt, and more fusel alcohol than what is listed on the label.

Mouthfeel is lightly sticky with very soft carbonation.

Drinkability depends on "do I want another"? I don't really want another one unless its much fresher. Notice u didn't mention anything about any rye characteristics. That's because I didn't get any. I think I'm going to leave this on my wants list for now and re-review it in the future. I do have the appropriate glassware after all. Of course, it might be unfair that I am mentally comparing it to 2 week old Red's Rye P.A. That beer was phenomenal. I don't think this beer can possibly rival one of Founders best, but I do think bottle date might make a difference.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Clear dark amber-red with foamy cream colored head and lacing spattered all over.

Smell: Complex mix of grapefruit, orange, spice and bread.

Taste: Grapefruity hops and somewhat sweet fruity & toasty malts battle, while a sharp spiciness floats above both the hops and malts and carries long into the very bitter finish.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, medium to full smooth body, extremely dry finish.

Drinkability: What an onslaught this beer is on my taste buds, yet still quite refreshing.

This is now my third Rye IPA/Red Ale (Founders Red Rye and Summit India Rye being the other two), and this is simply a sub-style I truly enjoy. Like the Black IPA (or whatever we are now calling it), this almost deserves its own style now, since this has nothing in common with the other, tamer Rye beers out there.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been on a kick lately of finding old notes...

The color is an appealing deep mohogany red with coppery highlights almost pushing to ruby at the edges. A very nice off-white head stands about two fingers tall, stays for a pretty long time without really fading away, and leaves some good lacing in fairly thick patches.
There's a breads and caramel presence from the malts with some citrus, grains pulling through overall with a light spiciness I can safely assume is from the rye. Also lingering is the particular aroma I've come to identify with Simcoe hope. The aroma is good, almost very good, lacking only the depth and power of the hops found later and moderate on a rye spiciness that comes out deeper in the flavor as well.
The flavor is where it's at. A big, bready malt along with a toffee sweet caramel malt make for a big, rich malt presence necessary because big malts are the only way to balance the beauty of the somewhow heavy yet clean hops in here. There's a big citrus and a nice tanginess to further balance an unusual but nice sweetness and plenty of rye spiciness. This one's deep, bold, robust, balanced, and flavorful. Delicious.
A full body and plenty of smoothness make for a nice, full, almost chewy mouthfeel. Plenty of crispness up front gives way to rich creaminess. Robust, clean and semi-dry in the finish.
I guess if I had to choose between this or Red's, I'd be lost. The price sticker would be the decision maker.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pour Red Amber with a great frothy thick head. Recedes gradually leaving some lace

Scent Woodsy and floral hop aromas,some whole hop resin,not much malty stuff

there's a nice brief lead in of a good caramel before the hops catch up The hop's edge seems to get tamed a bit by the malts or rye but are rather flavorful,her resin,pine, a touch of smoke.

Mouth Seems rather full bodied but kind of flat for it's type. Out of curiosity,I took a swig from the bottle and some of that missing edge was there. Kind of strange,I can't recall another brew that's "Best Served In The Bottle".

Drinkable....yes It is a bit filling for it's type,rather tasty,not to big and boozy,but the shortage of carbonation put me off a bit.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured with beads forming at the top, little head and slight lace. Dark brown, with lighter edges? I'm seeing things. Smelled of fruity hops, maybe fig, with malt at the back. Mouthfeel was wow. It explodes with flavors in the mouth with a creamy wash and a candy-like aftertaste, but not sweet.

Well, the rye flavor is at the back but there, as I remember. The hops profile is like a blended beer where I can't pick a specific taste. Fruity, the aforementioned fig, toasted malt flavor under and the alcohol is only a slight flavor after all.

This was great. It was one of the few beers that really hit when taking a first swig, and I'd love to have this again.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Pours dark copper, almost brown, and leaves a one-inch head that never fully leaves. Some lacing left. I think you can see through exactly half of the glass if you put it up to the light at an angle...which is kinda eerie if you think about it.

S- Spicy hops. This is where you can smell the rye.

T- Well balanced hops and malts for as hoppy it is. Very last taste leaves a sweet sensation to remind you how delicious this beer is. Thai palm sugar!

M- Thick and creamy.

D/O- For a 7%abv brew, any style, this drinks incredible. One of my favorite beers I've tried in the last year. If I could get this any time it would be my go-to beer. I like trying as many beers as possible so for me to go to a large beer store in the hopes of finding something "hyped" or new, then see this and be ecstatic...well, whatever that means :) Automatically makes Two Brothers one of my favorites, and the fact that it's brewed just over an hour away is awesome. Absolutely delicious.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Color is dark, rusty, red-brown. I didn't pour it, so the head was a bit weak. From the carbonation when I first sipped it, I am sure the foam would have been really nice. The aroma was fantastic! Could really smell the rye and hops. I could sense a little sweetness, maybe a green apple aroma/flavor? Slighlty fruity, I guess. It's a very complex flavor and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a bit 'rich' for me, I don't think I could drink more than one 'nursed' 12oz.
I may try some again in the winter with it warm to room temp.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A-Deep garnet with filtered clairity and a healthy eggshell head that laces nicely. An outstanding looking brew.

S-Summit hops predominate with a whiff of citrus and rind. The rye is present as well. A very interesting nose.

T-Rich rye malts are well balanced by the hop bill, which has been kept in check here. Given the nose I expected much more of a hop bomb, but this beer excels in its balance. Slighly sweet and dry, the rye malts are the star here, and the finish is somewhat astringent with a peppery aftertaste that lingers and numbs the palate with an everlasting note. This is one damn smooth drinking brew. A bit offbeat, and better for it.

M-Creamy, well balanced medium mouth with very well balanced carbonation. Excellent.

D-Superbly drinkable beer. A shame I only had one. Kudos to my buddy Gabor the beer man at Penn Station for introducing me to this one. I have never seen it before. A great fall transition brew, I'm going to look this one up again if I can find it. It has the full bodied flavor of a much bigger beer, and while it is no wimp in the ABV category, you would never know it. Utterly superb.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

Cane and Ebel, brewed by Two Brothers Brewing Co.

I had some expectations on this beer for two reasons. First, I've yet to have a Two Bros beer that wasn't well styled, and second, "a hopped-up red rye ale" how can you not be fired up!

A: Deep red copper colored, lightly transparent, with a strong lingering head. Consistent light lacing.

S: Light grapefruit citrus over a depth of malt.

T: Initial hop burst of west coast hops (I think) that is quickly overtaken by the nicely sweet malt.

M: Medium to light.

D: Easy drinking, not entirely smooth (quick hop burst/deep malt), but the transition is enjoyable. Definitely enjoy one before, during and after dinner. Truly an enjoyable beverage.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

While visiting my brother in North Aurora Illinois, he took us out to the two brothers brew pub. Great place!

Poured a gorgeous dark ruby brown color with a small off white head. Aroma is super dry with nice citric hoppage and some caramel malt. Taste was super hoppy with a rye twinge that could be mistaken for an astringent cleaner. This is fairly bitter. Feel is prickly from the amount of carbonation. Not super drinkable but i enjoyed this.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

I had this on tap at the brewpub as part of a sampler...A bright clear dark copper with amber highlights, lightly clear. A light tan head great retention and lacing...Light malts on the aroma but mostly hops, you can tell its totally dry hopped. Taste is is rye undertones with lots of hops throughout. The hops mostly cover up everything, makes it taste pretty good if you like hops. Decently easy to drink, but nothing special.

Cane And Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company