Cane And Ebel | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

Added by murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Ratings: 1,708 |  Reviews: 642
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

G: Poured into a Two Brothers Heavy-Handed IPA pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark amber, almost to a mahogany-ish color. Good, almost double finger head with a lot of carbonation bubbles. Very dark and only slightly transparent in the glass. Lots of lacing.

S: Hops and rye. Beautiful. Slightly sweet. Very inviting.

T: The red rye flavor comes out immediately, and the hopes are definitely there, although not overpowering. Slightly sweet, and a tad bitter as it goes down.

M: Medium-bodied with slight carbonation. Just a touch of alcohol on the throat as it goes down.

D: Very drinkable. Each sip definitely leaves me wanting another. This brew would be a great early evening sipper in the summer as the sun goes down after a good barbecue.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into La Chouffe Tulip

Pours a 1 and 1/2 finger tan head. Very full and thick. Decent retention leaving some pretty sweet looking lace rings. Color is a dark amber copper. A red beer that is actually red for a change. I can see through this one, but not the greatest. I have to admit, that this is one good looking beer.

Aroma: The obvious rye is there and I smelt some kind of sugar, but I had no clue. I checked the bottle and it says it is produced with thai palm sugar. I am guessing that is what I am smelling. There is also an IPA-like aroma coming from this beer. Floral hops and citrus notes. Kind of has a musky aroma to it.

Taste: First thought is that it reminds me a little of Nugget Nectar. Then comes the rye and that palm sugar (it makes its presence known here). It is an interesting sugar and I can definitely taste the difference. Very hoppy and citrusy. Interesting flavor, but I do kind of like it. I was debating on whether or not to give the taste a 4.5 and I said if it was classified as a red, I would have, because it would have been one fine red/amber, but it's a rye, so 4 will be what it gets. Still very close to a 4.5.

Mouthfeel: Is somewhat bitter, but no where near an IPA level. It is almost just a mellowed out version. Medium bodied. And a medium-to-high level of carbonation that seems to be correct. Leaves an IPA-like aftertaste. Very dry and full of floral hops.

Overall, I am really liking this beer. I am curious to know what the hop level would have been like had I tried this when it was first released. I am not disappointed with this brew at all. I could easily drink another in a night. It had some unique ingredients going on and it was neat to be able to try them.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

A - One and a half finger, rocky, brownish off-white head with good retention and excellent lace. Perfectly clear ruby colored body. This is a strikingly beautiful beer; pretty much flawless.

S - Strong, spicy aroma of rye, along with light caramel, vanilla, and herbal/ spicy hops.

T - The spiciness of the rye asserts itself first, along with a thin sweetness. This is quickly followed by a wave of sharp, almost soapy bitterness. Pine like hop flavors follow and the rye character and bitterness fight for dominance through the finish, accompanied by a subtle smokey note. A distinct, lingering flavor of grapefruit remains after everything else is gone.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation and a slight residual sweetness.

D - This kind of beer is not my cup of tea, but it is well made and I can see how it would be very enjoyable for an IBU pervert. Honestly, my biggest complaint isn't really the level of bitterness, but that it is such a sharp, acrid bitterness. Personally I think some of those bittering hops might have been better used for aroma and flavor.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle with a 22 April 2017 BB date stamp.
Excellent clarity in a deep red-brown body. Good off-white head with decent retention.
Aroma: lots of toffee and faint rye. Alcohol esters.
Flavor: moderately strong and bitter; plenty of spicy rye flavors.
Feel: smooth, medium+ body.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of fruity citrus, bready rye malts and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste is bready and sweet with flavors of caramel, citrus, rye and some spice. There's a strong hops bitterness that provides some balance and rye malt character is very character. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, there are better rye beers out there but this is still a good beer to drink for a while.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear dark amber with 2 fingers of creamy off-white head. Retains very nicely, leaving a good looking latticework of lace behind. The aroma is dominated by rye notes and caramel sweetness but I'm also picking up some hints of citrus and light hops in the backend.

The taste, much like the aroma, has a firm base of rye and caramel malt presence that is well surrounded by a nice, dry hopped bitterness. Unfortunately, also like the aroma, I can definitley tell that a certain degree of hop fade had taken hold, telling me that this one's just about past its prime. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a really nice smooth and easygoing feel with a creamy carbonation that screams "Drink Me!" And 7%? What 7%? I couldn't even feel it!

Wow! This is one very tasty and easy drinking offering from Two Brothers, with full use of the rye notes, a delicous creamy carbonation, and even with some hop fade, some fantastic dry hopped character. I'm all over this stuff next time it's released, as I'm sure it's incredible fresh!

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Poured a darker amber color with a small, stable, off-white head. Aroma of citrusy hops and toasted rye malts, nicely balanced. Same in the taste, toastyed rye, caramel, citrus, crisp hop bitterness. Clean, dry, medium body, moderate carbonation, easily drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Darkest bronze combined with burnt orange, a gorgeous hue that glows like dying firelight when even faintly backlit. Atop the liquid sits a tight-bubbled crown of ecru foam that looks like melting cinnamon ice cream. After all that, the best part about the appearance might just be the circumferential sheets of fine, filagreed lace.

I wish that I could appreciate rye malt in the nose. That's the only (slight) negative in what is a wonderful smelling beer. Even if I didn't know that Simcoe hops were used for dry-hopping, I might have been able to guess since their tropical fruitiness is so distinctive. A modest amount of caramel maltiness underlies the citric fruity goodness. Come to think of it, DIPA comparisons wouldn't be out of line.

Cane and Ebel is fabulous beer. It's everything that I'd hoped for and more. I know that two is a pretty small number, but after tasting Founders Red's Rye and now this one, I'd have to say that highly-hopped, rye-malted red ales are one of my favorite sub-sub-styles. If any other brewers want to jump on the bandwagon, there's plenty of room.

I'm still reminded of a DIPA. There's a more that solid malt backbone that is now tremendously rye spicy (woo hoo!) and a more than generous amount of hops that provide flavors of bitter orange and grapefruit zest. I'm pretty sure this bottle is at least six months old, which makes the still kickin' hoppiness all the more remarkable. This stuff is some kind of delicious.

Who knows what the Thai palm sugar added? The beer is sweet, but no more sweet than any other big IPA or DIPA. My thought is that it gave the brewers the opportunity to use the play on words that make up the name. Rather than Cain and Abel, we have Cane (sugar cane) and Ebel (the last names of the two brothers who own and run the brewery).

There's no way, with all that malt and all that palm sugar, that the mouthfeel could be anything other than full and semi-chewy. It's also plush, borderline sticky and sparsely carbonated. I wouldn't change a damn thing.

Without even checking my reviews, I know that Cane and Ebel is the best Two Brothers beer that has ever entered my glass. It's a lip smacking combination of cane sugar sweetness, rye malt spiciness and citric hop bitterness. I consider Red's Rye to be one of the best beers on the planet. I never dreamed that this Two Brothers offering would be almost as good. It will be a crime if it doesn't become a part of the brewery's year-round lineup.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

Clear, reddish, light brown liquor. A blend of large and small bubbles in the head--dies quickly. Good lace on the side of the glass.

Nice blend of malt and hop in the aroma. The hop smells fresh, but is subtle to allow the dryness of the malt to come through.

Dry brew on initial taste. The hop takes over after that. Nice long aftertaste. Good body with relatively low carbonation. Not creamy.

A very nice, dry brew. At 7% abv, this is a deceptively strong beer for the flavor profile.

4.8/5  rDev +17.6%

I was thrilled to get this one in a package recently. I had heard about this a while back and had been hunting it ever since. It really seemed like something that would be right up my alley, and as a result, have had it sitting on my wants list for a while. So last night I decided it would be a good night to pop open this 12oz and sit down and enjoy it with dinner. Served it right out of the fridge and poured it into an imperial pint glass. A nice hard pour produced a wonderful ruby tinted liquid. Lots of haze with it, but you could still make out some nicer carbonation streaking its way up toward the surface. A very nice two finger high head of white colored foam then came up over the top and hung around for a good long while before finally settling down to a thin veil across the top that hung around for the remainder of the session. Very nice side glass lace really capped it off very well. This had a really good overall look to it and I was most excited to proceed with it.

The aroma was loaded down with hops. Tons of grapefruit and tangerine like aromas just erupting from the first moment that I took a whiff. Once it warmed it settled down and a good dose of the rye malts started to come through and really deepen the profile. Some nice hints of sugar coming through sweetening it up nicely. The flavor really started to set it off. First off it was remarkably smooth, almost too smooth at times, I had trouble believing this was at 7%. Rich rye malts were the big player in the smoothness, giving a subtle and refined balance to the loads of floral hosp that were dumped in on this one. The flavor started out with a heavy dose of grapefruit and orange, hints of lemon grass as well, nice puckering hop bite, that was then transformed over to the malts, nice hints of sugar, and cereal grains coming through giving it a very lively depth. The long lingering bitterness of the finish provided by the ample dry hopping only served to draw out the moisture and really let that sweet smell sit there and dissolve for a good bit of time. The feel was very nice, with a good medium bodied ale with more then ample carbonation. Never dull or slick it really just came off very well. I could not even tell this was anywhere near 7%, in fact it was damn near session able. I would have loved to have had another one right after this, it was really that goods.

Overall I was really blown away by this one. I did not expect it to be as good as it was. Really a top notch, quality brew on all accounts that I would love to have the chance to try again. If you see this one around, go for it!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

I had this on tap last night at Brass Rail in Campbelltown, PA. Served chilled in a pint glass.

A - a caramel/bronze shade w/ mild haze and the head of light beige clings steadfastly after the sip.

S - Fruity date-like nose w/ piney and grainy odors. Slightly tobacco-like w/ earthy aromas that are sweet.

M - A slight resinous tinge in the feel as the moderately high level of carbonation keeps the beer from feeling to cloying w/ a slick rye texture w/ a bitter pine finish

T - The taste is crisp and spicy w/ rye flavor high in the grainy/malty element w/ a slight cereal sweet malt taste of rye. The flavor has a gentle caramel aspect w/ hops rushing to close the gap following the sweet effect w/ piney and mild citrus notes of tangerine. A smooth candy like taste is noticed toward the end of the pint w/ a taste that keeps the beer balanced w/ the high alpha hops that hang on into a slightly bitter finish.

D - A great rye IPA, I can't imagine many hoppy ryes I would rather have. the fullness makes it hard to drink too many, but still very drinkable and one I consider refreshing for the strength. I recommend this if you are a fan of rye beers and hops - it won't disappoint in either respect.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown color with an two inches of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Leaves some nice lacing on the glass and decent retention. Hints of red when held up to the light.

s - Smells of rye, caramel malts, fruity malts, citrus, and wheat. Maybe a tiny bit of spice as well.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, rye, fruity malts, citrus hops, grapefruit, and light pine hops.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth.

d - I thought this was a pretty good rye beer; I liked how the caramel malts and rye mixed together with the citrus and pine hops. A good interesting beer I'd certainly have again.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Forgot to write down who shared this one.

A: The pour is a very dark amber color, almost copper, with a sizable off-white head.

S: Decently hoppy with quite a lot of rye aromas. Somewhat sweet with some bread and toffee coming through in addition to the citrus and floral notes of the hops.

T: Interesting flavor. The rye gives off its patented spiciness which works nicely with the sweet toffee and toasted bread flavors. Citrus hops are there once again and provide some contrast.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

O: Easily one of the better beers I've had from Two Brothers. Nice flavor and fairly easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Red maple mahogany. Off-white,creamy head has great retention and lace.

S - Spicy with coriander, curry, cinnamon, and balanced with caramel and cappuccino.

T - Fantastic latte notes, rye bread and caramel. Black pepper, medium roast coffee, and herbal bitters on the backend.

M - Smooth, medium body, with a nice spicy carbonation.

O - A great beer, one of my favorite ryes.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

I recently picked up this bottle over at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop and I am glad that I did. Looking at my original review leaves me shaking my head. This is a nice, fresh bottle & I am anxious to get started. Today is Friday, 26 Febrewary 2016.

From the bottle: "Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai palm sugar and the spicy tang of rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an original. And that’s no sin."

I Pop!ped the cap and let fly with a heavy-handed pour thanks to its freshness. I just do not like to rouse lees unnecessarily. This action netted me three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with great retention which left great sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = >17, < 22) with button brightness. Nose had a black pepper-like bite which actually caused me to sneeze! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was minty, kind of pine like, but with a very black pepper bite from the rye along with a caramel maltiness. Try to imagine a peppermint enrobed in caramel and you get a sense of what I am tasting. Finish was dry, not at all sweet, despite what they were saying about Thai palm sugar. The rye in conjunction with the hops made this a real blast to drink!

My original draught/on-tap review, dtd 09 October 2006 follows:

First off, a note of explanation on the name of this beer. It was made by Brewmaster Jason Ebel and included a large quantity of Thai palm (cane) sugar in its recipe. Ha! It arrived with a fluffy, light-tan head above a clear amber liquid. The nose was a great mix of light hops, light malt, and a lot of spiciness, like pepper. The mouthfeel tended to be medium-to-thick. There was a really earthy quality to the beer on the tongue, like eating something that had been freshly picked. The finish had the expected rye bite that Sopor turned me on to.

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

We got destroyed at Quizzo tonight, so hopefully this is enough to make me feel a bit better. It pours a clear ruby topped by a finger of glowing dirty white foam and exhibiting a decent amount of matter floating about within. The nose comprises orange peel, onion, toasted rye bread, black pepper, and dark toffee. The taste holds notes of soil, orange rind, light mandarin orange, potato skin, grass, and a touch of toffee. I winced a bit whilst drinking this. The body is a barely-light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I was not much of a fan of this at all, really. The flavors don't do anything all that great for me, and the smell comes kinda close to offensive. I can see how this could actually be a lot worse, but that doesn't make it very good.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Brown body with some red in it. Hardly a white head and a fair bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Some lacing, but overall not exactly attractive.

Smell - Rye all over the place. Some hops and some caramel to it also, but it's a lot of rye.

Taste - Rye forward again. Well, it is a rye beer, I suppose. Spicy and a little sweet, actually. Hop bitterness in the finish. Also, sadly, a boozy flavor, even though it's only 7%.

Mouthfeel - Kinda low carbonation and it feels heavy. It's got a lot of body to it, but that's probably from the rye. Again, the slight tinge of alcohol is disappointing.

Overall - I'm not a fan of rye beers, but there's some characteristics that bring it down besides the rye. Still drinkable, but not great.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%