Cane And Ebel | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Dry, but with a creamy touch of Thai Palm Sugar and the spicy tang of Rye, all balanced by loads of the wackiest new Hops we could lay our hands on. Yep, it’s an Orignal. And that’s no Sin.

IBU: 68

Added by murphysbleachers on 05-14-2006

Reviews: 642 | Ratings: 1,706
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L -- Dark amber, almost ruby color with a foamy, 2 finger off-white head. Looks very enticing. Head retains for a long while with good lacing.

S -- I don't really smell much at first, to be honest. Later on, a bit of citrus comes out, but kind of lacking in the aroma department.

T -- Earthy spiciness (from the rye, according to Google), slight pine flavor, sweet toffee maltiness. Citrus came out strong with warmer temperatures.

F -- Crisp and creamy. Leaves an oily film behind.

O -- I really enjoyed this beer. The hop profile was nice, and having had a number of hop-forward beers recently, I was able to separate it from the rye flavors and enjoy what rye has to offer.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Two Brothers Tap House.

I'm not usually a fan of hoppy beers, but again Two Brothers makes me bite my tongue and enjoy a beautiful beer! The appearance was a dark amber red with nice white head. Smell was a bit spicy but I definitely picked up on some piney hoppiness. Because of the pine smell I expected the worse...not so! The subtle pine hop finish was blended beautifully with the maltiness.

Overall a decent beer and a definitely recommendation!

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into my bruery tulip.

A- very dark brown. Very dark cola color is what it reminds me of. Some mahogany highlights patrol the edges. Nice 1 finger white head fades rather quickly to a polka dot cap. Good splatters of lace are in play. Good looking beer.

S- lots of hops! Citrus hops are here in force along with a Nice backing of floral and a splash of rye. Truly a great smelling beer.

T- great hop forward brew. Tons of citrus that is on the tangy side of bitter. Malts add some surface area so the rye can stand out. Hops are so fresh and sharp the rye takes a back seat But who cares, this is a great hoppy beer.

M- very good feel. Light to medium with a Nice subtle crisp carbonation that does its job and nothing more, which is just What I like.

Overall This beer is great. Huge hop flavors without any off flavors. The only thing that makes this a rye beer and not a top notch ipa is its color. As a bonus you could drink this all day it seems. Job well done two brothers

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pour Red Amber with a great frothy thick head. Recedes gradually leaving some lace

Scent Woodsy and floral hop aromas,some whole hop resin,not much malty stuff

there's a nice brief lead in of a good caramel before the hops catch up The hop's edge seems to get tamed a bit by the malts or rye but are rather flavorful,her resin,pine, a touch of smoke.

Mouth Seems rather full bodied but kind of flat for it's type. Out of curiosity,I took a swig from the bottle and some of that missing edge was there. Kind of strange,I can't recall another brew that's "Best Served In The Bottle".

Drinkable....yes It is a bit filling for it's type,rather tasty,not to big and boozy,but the shortage of carbonation put me off a bit.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Beautiful chestnut beer that glows auburn when held to the light. It is topped with two fingers of rocky, cream-colored head that lingers. Sweet scents fill the nose: citrus, dark sugar, and hints of malt. Starting to pick up hints of rye in the nose.

So many flavors at once. Spicy rye. Sweet grapefruit hops. Bready malt. Mmm. Medium mouthfeel. Ample carbonation. No alcohol taste. Drinks smooth, but lots of flavor to drink a lot of. Amazingly interesting and enjoyable.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from tap into 10 oz glass. Pours a deep dark red caramel with a finger of head. Good retention and lacing on the glass. Very caramellike smell. Taste is of smooth toasty dark malts with a wheaty rye like background. The mouthfeel is light and coats the tongue. I could easily drink a few of these. Another great brew from Two Brothers.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from bottle into Sam Adam's Perfect Pint. Best By 6/2/10 on bottle.
Poured a dark brownish-red with a nice stable head with good lacing and some yeast sediment floating around. Smells like toffee, toasted caramel malts with a nice citrus hop aroma. Waves of rye, hops, and caramel malts flow through to palate with some good bitterness at the end. Very good balance of ingredients. It has a nice creamy, chewy mouthfeel. A very yummy, well made brew that I would love to try again.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks DavidEddie for another opportunity to try this beer.

Love the color of this beer. Nice dark reddish amber. Great head retention and stick. Aroma's of bready rye and malt sweetness along with piney hops. Taste is a very nice balence of bready malt and rye flavors along with a subtle but nice hop bitterness.The malt and rye flavors really keep the hops in check, but in a good way.The alcohol hides nicely, but seems to creep up near the end. Creamy mouthfeel and moderate carbination. Some hophead brethren might be dissapointed in this one as the hops are used to keep things in check and not reck your tongue. When I drink a rye ale I want the rye and malt characteristics to shine thru.

This beer makes me say "sure we can session this". I just hope there is someone to get us home later. A really nice rye ale. Give this a whirl.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Deep clear Brown color, whole thing has a reddish tint. Tannish cream colored ring around edge of glass. A few bubbles and spotting on the face of the beer. Very Hoppy aroma, mixed well with a sweet matly aroma; quite a pleasant and settling aroma, very balanced. Nose is slightly stuffed up so this could be completely wrong, but still smell really good through a stuffed up nose. Moderate to high carbonation. Sweet start, Malty rye middle, with the fruitiness of the hops coming through in the end. Dry finish, finish seems to be a combination of malt and hop. Not an intense aftertaste, almost grapey. Finishes clean and light. Beer feels heavier in middle of drink and much lighter after swallow. Sweetness increases with warmth, as well as the apperance of the alcohol, but still well hidden in flavor. Overall it is a good balance in aroma and flavor of malt and hop. Might be one of my new favorite red ryes.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice label art on this one that brewdlyhooked13 generously sent me.

Pours a really dark amber, almost brown. Darker than I was expecting. Nice big tan head that is fairly resilient. Great lacing down the side of my tulip.

Smells of mostly floral hops and rye. Pretty nice actually. The aroma hit me as soon as I popped the cap off the bottle. There's a little bit of a citrus hop aroma too.

T - Interesting in that there's a lot of hop flavor but it's not very bitter. The date is fine on it so I guess the rye balances it out that much. The flavor, like the nose is all hop and rye to me.

M - Smooth and moderately carbonated. Nice dry finish.

D - Good drinkability for 7%. I'm becoming a big fan of "imperial ambers/reds" which I think this could fall under. Reminds me of hop head red and nugget nectar but less bitter and the addition of the rye. I've liked most rye beers I have had and this is no exceptions.

I'll definitely add this to to the list of beers and brewers I'd like to see here in SC.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Best by 6/29/11. Purchased in Chicagoland

A- light ruby with a 2 finger head that fades to a thin layer and laces nicely

S- pine and citrus hops followed by bready malt sweetness

T- toasted rye followed by citrus hops. Pine hops and a roasted caramel finish off

M- medium body with nice carbonation. So smooth. If this wasn't so roasty, the mouth feel would be a little too thick

D- amazing. I forgot how much I really like this beer. Needs to be in SoCal ASAP!!!

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%

A: Dark ruby colored brew with a slightly off white, foamy head with excellent retention.

S: Spice from the rye. An excellent hop aroma along with what I think resembles the smell of vanilla extract.

T: Deliciously bitter (grapefruit like) without being over powering. This stays with you for a while. Spice from the rye. Chocolate and caramel as well.

M: Very creamy, perfect carbonation. Lingers in your mouth without being sticky.

D: Superb. Simple as that.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

Poored a dark brown caramel color, not going to lie kind thew me off.nose was kinda weak slight hops kinda peak thru. Also kinda dissapointed to me the rye was not what I was expecting but still not bad. Would drink it again and probably will. Almost more like a ipa than a rye, atleast to me.

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured out with a huge head that has a huge hop aroma, with a slightly tan color. Head lasted a long time. Left lacing

A nice copper color with orange hue accent. Aroma of hops, with a slight rye accentuated nose, with some fruitiness, and piny.

Flavor of rye, with a fruit character, lending too a very nice hop bitterness

Mouthfeel is a smooth nicely carbonated, medium bodied.

Overall this beer rock it is very drinkable. Balanced towards rye and hops mostly. This is reccommended

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Reddish-mahogany in appearance, with more amber tones on the edges. About half a finger of off-white head. Good lacing and minor retention. Smells good. A musky, grainy earthiness mixed with roasted malt. Not overly pungent, but sufficiently aromatic. Quite a good brew. Initial hop bite that's semi-piney. That gives way to a full malt and rye middle that tactfully builds toward the end. Back end is sharp but creamy and allows the piney hop notes to re-emerge in the mouthfeel. A very flavorful brew that's not boastful. A solid take on the rye ale.

Like It? Very Much So

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

"It's warm!" Dulcie exclaims, surprised by the higher temperature of the cask compared with the regular tap. I blush. I thought I had died and gone to heaven to see a barman pull a pint. The cask version is delectably seductive, and incredibly drinkable. That muddy red slightly hazy appearance and molasses/grainy aroma. Taste is a complex mixture of molasses, malt, hop.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance is slightly hazy copper brown with ruby highlights and an off-white head. Good lacing. The aromas of citrus and piney hops tingle my nose along with earthy rye malts in the background. Smells very inviting. Flavor has much the same as aroma and the full mouthfeel practically encourages me to chew this beer. Moderate hop flavor and bitterness. Finish is a bit harsh as I get to the bottom of my glass from all the hops, but I guess that means all you hopheads out there are going to really like this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
A-dark copper/brown color
S-Complex mix of spicy rye, citrusy hops, and some malt
T-Great mix of bitter hops and spicy rye with just a bit of sweetness.
M-very smooth and almost light feel--easy drinking
O-this is a fantastic beer, very complex, excellent combo of hoppiness and rye, this is definitely one of my new favorites

4.08/5  rDev 0%

pours and unfiltered brown amber with slight head.

smell is slight malt and slight piny hops but there is not too much there.

taste is less malty than expected with a nice hop finish coming through.

mouth is medium bodied with low carbonation.

overall a good beer. hoppier than expected which was enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to malcontent for the opportunity to try this brew....

A: Dark amber color with a two finger, offwhite head.

S: This is a faint smell. Roasted malts, not much else.

T: There's the hops. I couldn't smell them, but I can taste them. The malt still rocks. Well balanced brew.

M: Perfect. Compliments the taste very well. Full body.

D: If I had regular access to this beer, I would drink way too much beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

A - dark butterscotch with a thin white lacing. Ruby red highlights that appear crystal clear. Good looking beer.

S - slight vanilla and caramel with a slight spiciness of the rye. floral hops are balanced along with highlights of malt. After taking a sip i am picking up on some sort of oak or slightly resinous wood. Incredible balance to a red rye.

T - smooth vanilla and caramel balance a slightly spicy undertone of rye. Again, incredible balance keeps the rye balanced. No bite from the bitterness of the hops just floral note that melds with the malt charecter. Layers of flavor picked up on just one sitting.

M - Smooth and slick, a slight spiciness comes about as the beer touches the back of the tounge. A balanced dextrinous beer proves to be quite evident.

D - I wish i could have bought a case. One sitting is not enough... I try to savor each sip to preserve the lone bottle. A very easy drinking brew.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beer is a translucent red color without much head. Would like a big thick head on this one but not to be.

Smell is somewhat muted. A lot of sweetness for me. Some hops notes, but slight. Some fruit smell, grapes I believe. Not expected there.

Taste is fantastic. Very hoppy, much more so than the nose would indicate. Some citrus and pine, with roasted malt and some wood. The malt and hops really give this beer a woody flavor, as if it were barrel aged. Great balance and I love the taste that is left on the palate. Hops, rye malt and wood.

This beer was recommended and it far exceeded expectations. Great stuff

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours an opaque caramel color in the glass. A huge bubbly off white head erupts and slowly dissipates leaving sticky lacing all around. Smells equally of caramel and hops. Very balanced, pleasant aroma. Nothing overwhelms the olfactory. The taste is outstanding! The hops and rye play off each other to make this a creamy IPA. the hops are not a present in the initial taste but really come up in the back of the tongue. the taste is as well balanced as the nose. Mouthfeel is pretty good. Nothing hangs on too long but one can easily distinguish the different flavors. Drinkibility is a little lower just from a taste perspective. Unless you stick with a really hoppy follow up, your taste buds will not be happy.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

I had never heard of Two Brothers Brewing Company until I stumbled across this beer at my local beer and wine emporium. I've had the opportunity to try rye beers in the past, and liking this style, I couldn't pass this up.

Appearance - Pours a nice, dark amber color with a half inch head in my pint glass. I walked away for a minute and came back surprised to find that the head doubled in thickness. However, this quickly dissipated and left some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Just like the label says, this beer is definitely hoppy. Aroma is reminiscent of the hop character of IPAs. Also detected a faint earthiness and some spiciness to the aroma.

Taste - The first sip was very good indeed. Mild sweetness with a hint of bananas and coconut, althought not overpowering at all. Like an IPA, there is a lingering bitterness on the palate.

Mouthfeel - This beer has a good mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. It's dry character leaves me wanting another sip.

Drinkability - Definitely worth repeating, this could be a good session beer.

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into my trust sam adams glass. Bottle has a best by of 6/30/09, so I wonder how fresh this is.

A- pours a deep ruby with a healthy 2 finger head. Looks delicious. A bit dark for an amber, but according to BA this is a rye beer so that seems to fit

S- malty, with a backdrop of hops (losing the battle to the malts). sweet.

T- sweet, but balanced. malt forward with a finish of muted hops. Slight twang of rye on the finish, but it's subtle

M- thick, coats the mouth. lively carbonation, but seemingly appropriate.

D- at 7%, I'd expect some more drinkability. The rye is starting to get to me by the end of just a 12oz

overall a solid beer, but not one I plan to revisit soon. If I do, I'd love to compare it to a fresher version.

Cane And Ebel from Two Brothers Brewing Company