Outlaw IPA | Two Brothers Brewing Company

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Best by 10/05/12
001 14:27

A= Pours a pretty hazy orange color with a nice thick finger of off white head on it that holds great retention and lacing on the glass.

S= Smells strongly of hops of course with pine and citrus characters. I feel like I'm smelling a little rye or some other unique malt not usually found in an IPA.

T= The taste is again a strong hop character up front and some unique malt character to back it up. A nice pine and citrus character with some roast or rye or something to back it up. Something I can't put my finger on. There is a little bit of sweetness to follow up in the back.

M= The mouth is solid for an IPA.

O= This is a nice IPA. It's a little malty but not bad. It is actually one of the only IPAs I've found with a strong malt character that I actually enjoy. Worth trying and I'll likely actually be buying it again.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can into a pint glass

A - Reddish copper in color and clear. Khaki head that foams up tall and dissipates slowly. Light carbonation. 4/5

S - Light hint of dark stone fruit. Licorice. Herbal hops. Peat moss. Very earthy. All aromas are somewhat muted, all are hints with nothing really standing out. 3.25/5

T - Dark stone fruit right up front. Transitioning to an earthiness and leather followed by peat moss and herbal hop bitterness. Slight hint of licorice mixed in with herbal hops. Bitterness lingers but not long. Interesting layering going on here. Flavors are not like any other pale ale that I have had. 4/5

M - Light but somewhat creamy. Coats the mouth nicely then disappears. Very little in the way of carbonation. 4/5

O - Very interesting pale ale. Nice taste layering. Aroma was very difficult to discern what I was smelling. Aromas were all somewhat muted. Other than the aroma, very nicely executed. 4/5

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Best-by date on the bottom of the can says 5/15/13. Consumed on 3/9/13, so it's certainly within the Two Brothers' recommended shelf life. . . .

A: Poured from the can into a pint glass. Body is clear golden-honey with a half-finger whitish head. Nice drapes of lacing down the glass.

S: Toasty, bready malt with a touch of citrus and a hint of pine. Not terribly strong in the nose, and for an IPA it's surprisingly more malt-centered than hop-centered. Smells more like an American Pale Ale or an English IPA, perhaps, than an American IPA.

T: First impression: I'm leaning towards an American Pale Ale profile in the taste too. Bready and caramel malt provide a solid malt foundation. Citrusy hops (think oranges with some lemon at the back of the sip) follow. Finishes clean with a nice lingering bitterness offsetting the sweeter malty tastes. This is not a palate-shredding bitterness, however; it's more muted in bitterness and cut by some sweetness underneath.

M: Medium in heft, carbonation is fairly light, making for a slightly slick feel - but it's an easy drinker.

O: I like this beer, but I think it's mischaracterized as an American IPA. Maybe I'm just used to the hoppy palate-wreckers, but IMO, this comes in closer to an APA, perhaps residing somewhere in that grey area between the two styles. Easily drinkable, though, and I'm not at all disappointed with the overall taste and structure of this beer - it's just that it's a bit more balanced in the hop/malt dynamic than I'd expected.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Reviewed on 07/31/2009. On tap at Blind Tiger. Pours a clear orange with a thick white head. Aroma of citrus, hop oils, and crackery malt. Flavor of some of the same crackery malt and citrusy hops. Overall, I found this to be very drinkable and delicious.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a really balanced solid IPA. Its got some kind of malt that I really really like, I think I taste rye, and I really love that in almost any beer. It matches well with the hops, which I wouldnt be surprised if they were mostly noble/European variety.
A- Golden color, just short of amber, great head retention. Thin white head, with really nice lacing.
S- I love the smell, this one is so balanced, I think it shows skill from the brewer when you get an IPA that you can actually smell the malt in conjunction with the hops. As noted, mostly noble hops on the nose, some pine too.
T- Solid and balanced. I love the rye flavor! It goes so well with what I can only guess is Hallertau (sp?) or something like it. Maybe EKG? IDK enough about hops yet to be sure, but its not your West coast variety. Very drinkable, not too bitter. Not much alcohol so I could drink several hundred of these in one sitting JK. Really like this beer.
M- Its light bodied, but totally sessionable. I love full bodied beers and this could be just a touch thicker/creamier, but Im not complaining.
Overall, I love the freshness you get out of cans, and I used to buy into the stigma that came along with them. Hogwash. Cans are great. This would be a great beach beer or something of that nature. I dont think Ive had anything from this brewery that I didnt like. Cheers

3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +5%

On my fourth, and my opinion keeps floating between ok.... to a really solid 6.3% abv and 60 ibu's. Bitterness upfront, than some tropical fruitiness , and a splash of sweet. Overall, I think it's pretty good, and balances on the line of sessionsable and more powerfull IPAs.

(Note: 2Bros Roundhouse does not have on tap, it only comes in 12-oz cans right now. On the positive side each beer was only $4.)

Can into nonic pint.

A slow but rough pour (read: I didn't tilt the glass) yielded a big fluffy 3 finger head atop an orange clear body. The retention seems solid but the lacing is weak.

Smells like biscuity and bready malt, just a touch of sweetness, and some hops-- a light refreshing citrus note with some floral character too.
The flavor is EXACTLY as I expected from the nose but adds a slight tropical fruity note... I think this beer is too malty. Make this drier, go easier on the floral hops, and kick up the citrus notes and we would have a winner. In fact, try to make this beer EXACTLY like Zombie Dust, only in cans. That would be awesome.

As it stands, this isn't too bad. It is certainly the best hoppy offering from 2Bros... Though the field of competitors is pretty weak.

The body is a bit light, but I can live with it as is.

Overall-- if I find this on tap I'll try it again, and I'm not opposed to buying more cans either. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come from the Warrenville crew.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color capped by an inch or so of foam; decent retention and a smattering of dots are left behind

Smell: Fruity, with melon and stone fruit tones, as well as some pine

Taste: Biscuity malt backbone with the fruit and pine tones developing in the middle; the combination of the malt and hops produces a rather unusual fruit profile that is almost cantaloupe dominant though there are just enough hops to add piney bitterness that lingers into the finish; rather malty, though

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: With a name like Outlaw IPA I was certainly expecting something different; not bad, but this is way too malt forward for my palate

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz. can poured into a Ayinger pint glass.

Appearance: Golden orange with a nice 1" head recedes to a cap but leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Fruity hops with a bit of pine.

Taste: A nicely constructed IPA, fruit flavors and pine work well and are balanced against a nice base of malt.

Mouthfeel: Very clean on the palate.

Overall: Very sessionable and tasty IPA.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Best by date stamped on the bottom; I approve of this. I approve very much.

Looks great on the pour. Very strong pine tones on the nose. Flavor is great. Nice hoppy presence with woody and earthy tones and a generous portion of pine. The problem is that the flavor profile drops off so fast. Way too soon. Especially with such a great lead in.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Aroma: Clean fermentation character with lemon zest, orange rind, and pine all hitting the nose.

Appearance: Clear amber pour with a moderate white head that retains well.

Flavor: Pine-like hop flavors up front followed by some lemony sweetness. Just a touch of sweetness that is quickly subdued by the American citrus hop flavors. Balance is firmly to the hop. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slightly oily, and medium carbonation. Slight warming in the back of the throat. No astringency.

Overall impression: I forgot that I had this in August of 2012 and I can only assume I had an old batch. Glad I forgot about it and picked it up again b/c "Wow!". I'll make sure it's fresh but I'll get it again for sure.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Decent beer -- not a standout but well balanced and a pleasure to drink. Not sure why Dale's Pale and Antihero rate higher -- I'd put this one right on par with the,

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%