Resistance IPA | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.

Added by homebrew311 on 03-18-2010

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

I had this fresh and, thankfully, have just finally found my notes...

This beer pours out a clear coppery orange with lots of activity, forming a soft but sense white head that maintains itself well and leaves moderate lacing behind.
There's a nice addition of toasty. biscuit-like malts on the nose to counter the strong floral and citrus hops. There's a touch of very vanilla-like sweetness on the end and a hint of earthiness.
The earthiness translates in the flavor to more of an earthy/woody flavor (which now I might attribute to the oak aging since when I tried it I wasn't privy to that aspect), and the backbone is a pure leaf hops flavor with balancing malts and a touch of sweetness. Hops flavors are, as in the nose, a variance of citric and floral with an herbal leaf undertone.
The mouthfeel begins crisp and never flattens, smoothing out on the palate for a creamy finish that is also fairly dry. The body is medium and carbonation is light to moderate.
This is extremely drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Cool bottle received from pochman recently. Huge thanks, Ed!

Poured into a pint glass. Best by 10/19/10 printed on the side. Must be fresh. "Ale aged in French Oak Foudres" also printed on bottle. Historically used for aging wine [per the web]. May be my first of this type of aging. Let's see...

Pours a very cloudy dark orange/gold. An enormous off-white head grows on top. Looks superb. Great lacing and sticky lace all over the glass. The scent is what I can describe as husky and chalky. From the oak? Dry wood shavings, perhaps? Some light citrus notes, but I can't get over the dry scent. Can't say as I can place that specifically.

The body is firm. Good carbonation presence. Mellow finish. This beer is a little more tart than I would like. Expecting more of fresh hop presence, I'm instead greeted by tart lemon, a little funk, and mellowed hops. The oak-aging played a part, no doubt, but it still leaves me wondering. The finish is like green apples. I don't think I could, or would have another one of these right after the other.

This was interesting. I like that it's different, but it's not my favorite.

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

Had this on tap at the Pony Bar, 6/24/10.

A-Pours a hazy gold with a thin white head and some good sticky lacing.

S-Lots of sweet malt, rather light on the hops.

T-Much like the nose, there is plenty of caramel malt through, with some light earthy hops peeking through in the finish.

M-Medium bodied with some light bitterness.

D-This one was just ok for me. Rather short on the IPA characteristics.

HV

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter on 6/13/10

Best by 10/21/10

Amber-hued with highlights of tangerine; moderate density. I started with an average pour then had to dial it back - the foam filled the snifter with over three fingers of billowy foam. Porous along the inside of the glass, it settles inward leaving an island of meringue-esque foam. Lacing is decent; drippy strings. Retention is thin & the lace dries out.

Resistance IPA smells an awful lot like other Two Brothers IPAs I've tried. It's certainly balanced, if not tipping the scale toward malty. Caramel notes are in no short supply; it actually smells fairly sweet. While the aroma suggests floral & piney hints; the hops are more citric than anything: mostly lemon zest with some orange pith. Subtle oak overtones drift about.

Spicy citrus & pine immediately crackles o'er the tongue - zesty lemon & orange assisted by some dry grapefruit hints. With each sip, this initial moment of brilliance fades into murkiness. It seems to lose something by the finish (maybe the overactive carbonation has something to do with it). Toasted malts & caramel round it out, though aren't as prominent as in the aroma. I have to admit, I''m not getting too much of an oak flavor.

Whoa; way to much carbonation going on here, in my opinion (especially on the first few sips). I'm all for ample carbonation accenting spicy notes but here it distracts from the flavor of the beer, which is a definite downfall, considering it's supposed to have the subtleties of being aged in oak foudres. Medium bodied, otherwise. Finished pretty dry with some lingering lemon zest.

The aroma made me nervous, suggesting the only thing this IPA is resisting are hops. Thankfully, that isn't the case. However, the over-carbonation makes it all but impossible to enjoy any complexities this beer offers. It's a shame; this possibly could have been the best Two Brothers IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: One finger head, with good retention. White nose and a hazy golden body. Good lacing.

S: Fresh hops, with a slight hint of malt. A hint of oak is also present.

T: A bold start that shows a blast of hops. Finishes with a oaky, malt balance. The lingering tastes are dominated by the oak. Good balance of hops and oak. Not too heavy on the wood, and a great hop bitterness.

M: Good medium body and creamy mouthfeel.

D: Fresh hop bitterness, shows for a good balance of flavors between the hops and the oak. A bit thicker on the way down, but the balance of flavors makes this beer pleasing to the palate.

I was surprised to find that Two Brothers made another IPA and equally pleased to drink it. Very well balanced beer with great malt character at a very light, almost straw character. Good hop flavor and bitter aroma without being too extreme in either category. Good carbonation, a little bit of overflow but very goo. Great hop character and a great IPA in general.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Easily one of the most annoying pours of my life. Even the gentlest of pours yields a massive foam. Then I have to wait for it to recede a little so it won't overflow. I mean, once I finish pouring the thing about 2 hours later, it looks spectacular. But still. Really, though. This thing looks great. Sticky, rocky foam that just doesn't seem to go away, tons of lacing.

Aroma is slightly mild relative to other IPA's, but what is there is the fairly typical citrus and pine scent

Taste is pretty good, nothing spectacular. Solid offering. Notes of pine, citrus and hop bitterness with a slight malt backing which keeps it somewhat balanced.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, carbonation is okay, and the drinkability is moderate, but isn't really the purpose of an IPA anyways.

Pretty good.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Copper/amber colored beer with a big white head that left behind a nice ring and some decent lacing.

S - A sweet bit of citrus, almost pineappley. A decent grassy/floral hop profile with a little bit of bitterness all wrapped around a caramel malt backbone.

T - Grassy, with a slight bitter hop presense and mostly some caramel malts. Slight bit of honey, I think this is a little overly sweet and not hoppy enough.

M - Medium bodied with a healthy kick of carbonation, you can feel fine bubbles throughout the drink.

D - Pretty drinkable, did two. It's unoffensive and doesn't taste bad. Not a great beer by any means, and not a particularly good take on an IPA, but it's enjoyable an easy enough that I don't mind drinking it.

3.79/5  rDev -1%

12 ounce bottle from "The J Series" sampled from a small snifter.

Slightly less than aggressive pour yields a mammoth head, and it's not going anywhere. Beer is copper in color, and seriously carbonated. Thick, creamy, three-finger depth head on top.

Aroma gives off some standard IPA notes, citrus, pine, but goes a bit further, offering hints of grape, wet grass, plum, and oak.

Tart flavors up front...bitter apple and spicy hop notes. Flavor is very cidery, and pops on the tongue. That head is still sticking around...light and fluffy. Other flavors of astringent hops and pepper.

The carbonation may be too much here. However, it does allow for an interesting play on the palate. There are some rich flavors here, and I like the playful take on the IPA (aged in French Oak Fourdes).

Overall, this is a good beer...perhaps could use some time to cool down in the bottle...although, age may make this resistance all that more aggressive.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours typical transparent IPA color with a touch of amber on the edges and a nice white frothy head. Smell is of hops, of which I cannot identify, and a light touch of malt and oak aged aromas. Taste follows suit, with a hit of hops up front but they are battling with a good amount of malt and oak aged flavors and a minor touch of wine flavors from the oak barrels. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer for it's unique take on an overly commercialized version of IPAs. The use of wine oak barrels is new to me and adding enough malt to counter the hoppiness, which at 70 IBU is bitter, is exceptional.

4.26/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Burnt-orange in color, with a huge cloud deck of rocky, creamy foam. Nice looking beer.
Aroma-Piney citrus, subtle oakeyness
Taste-Piney citrus hops, tart oakiness, and some honey sweetness, all balanced very nicely without one flavor overpowering the other. Tasty and interesting, crisp and pleasant, a nice melding of flavors: Hop bitterness, tangy oak, and a subtle honey sweetness. Nicely done!

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A- You cant pour this beer softly enough. No matter what you do you will get a crazy huge head that sticks up above the glass like meringue. It leaves wild lacing thats more like pieces of the head just being torn off by the glass. The beer is a honey colored one with some chill haze and plenty of rising bubbles.

S- Honey sweet, citrusy, oakiness and caramelized malts. I cant really get a whole lot of stuff through the insane head.

T- Lots of orange at first. Then TONS of lemongrass. There is a flash of honey just before hops come in with a bitter pineiness which lingers slightly.

M- Buzzy carbonation, Slightly dry and a touch on the light side.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

gold color with a touch of copper. the head is a little flimsy

aroma is hoppy, with a calm NW thing going on

dry and easy-drinkin session IPA. it tastes golden, if that makes any sense. piney, citrus hop flavors and assertive bitterness. a touch of golden bread and fruitiness

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%

It has been a long time since I have had Two Brothers, ever since I bought a 12 pack sampler and all of the beers inside were anywhere from sub-par to downright nasty. They do have at least one beer that I like and this sounded intriguing so what the heck lets try it.

A: Plain Jane hazy copper color with a thick head. Despite my best efforts, the head foams up like crazy and overflows a bit. Once it settles down, it is a pretty shade of off white that sticks to the glass.

S: Smell, what smell? This is an IPA? "Best by" date is far in the future so this must be fresh. Some grass, some faint honey and generic malt smell is all I get.

T: I take a sip and realize immediately that I do not like this beer. Not even close to what I would call an IPA. More like a cross between a weak APA and a grassy EPA. The bitterness is there but the pungent hops that I have come to expect from an IPA, just missing. Heck, it says "piney citrus hops" right on the bottle but I can't taste that at all. There is a small sourness to the palette that could be the oak, but I'm not picking up anything else. It has the same yucky aftertaste from a bad batch of homebrew I had once. Overall this does not taste like a beer from a commercial brewery.

M&D: Blah, too watery not enough body. I could drink a few of these before I got sick of the taste, as long as they were cold. I am disappointed that I payed over $10 for the 6 pack and still have 5 left to drink.

In conclusion, once bitten twice shy. Or twice bitten in this case. I will not be buying Two Brothers again.

3.48/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (June 1, 2010). "Best By 8/12/2010" is printed on the rear label.

A local brewery with a good reputation. This is an IPA "aged in French oak foudres". I'm going to assume these french oak containers weren't user for wine prior to beer aging. I've been meaning to try this for a while, so here we are.

Eyes: Pours a crystal clear copper with a finger of whitish head.

Nose: A softer nose than expected. Soft spice, citrus, some sweet malt/dry fruit.

Tongue: A relatively sharp, grassy bitterness with some muted malt. I can really taste the hops oils here, but they don't overwhelm which is nice. This is a bit more malty than other IPAs, but the oak aging doesn't seem to reduce the bitterness or have a massive impact on the flavor that I can tell. I would be interesting to know how long this is aged in oak.

Mouth: Medium body with good carbonation.

Libation: Not a bad IPA. I really like the oak-aged concept, but I'm not too sure what it brings to the table here. This is a bitter IPA with a potent aftertaste, but not a smashing hop assault. I get the feeling that this is a still evolving beer for Two Brothers, and I'll be returning to this in the future to see if it does in fact evolve/improve.

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

(Served in a dimple mug)
A- This beer pours a clear golden copper body with a gentle carbonation of bubbles. A rigorous pour produces a thin film of white head that is soon a ring.
S- The aroma of hops have a green herbal aroma to them with a slight sweetness of malt supporting them.
T- this beer has a green hop flavor that gives way to a stinging hop bitterness that stains the tongue and lingers after each sip. There is a honey malt flavor that is nice with a slight buttery quality to it but that is soon covered up by the bitterness as the beer opens up. M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer has a hop flavor that is all bitterness and that covers up all the other flavors. I love hops flavor but there is very little depth to the hops and the aroma and flavor of hops and malt are buried.

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a coppery color with minimal head. Not much aroma at all in the nose, more of a regular PA than IPA aroma.

Taste is about the same as it smells. Definitely not enough hop flavor or aroma, but the bitterness is there. Very underwhelming. Again, its charateristics are much more like a Pale Ale instead of an IPA. Beer feels a little watery with not enough body or malt backbone. Just doesn't stand up to other IPAs in my opinion, considering the price point it is at. Another mediocre beer from Two Brothers.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Received via trade with jkblodge as an extra. Thanks!

A - Real nice gold and orange hue. Great looking 1" head with lacing.
S - I smell grapefruit and something else pleasant and sweet.
T & M - The oak is barely there, but still really nice. Great tasting IPA and lighter on the booze than most I've had lately.
D - Nice, easy drinking IPA. I wish I could buy this locally.

I look forward to trying more from this brewery. Great job on this IPA!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big vibrant light orange appearance. Great carbonation, lacing not so much, but I haven't really seen lacing out of a beer that touches wood, so maybe its no thing. Great aroma, smells hoppier than expected. Good grapefruit and oak resin (very light) aspect.

Taste, a mix of ipa, belgian and imperial esb. Very bitter, even more than the 70ibu claim on the bottle. But not a hoppy feel to the bitterness. Dry. Hides alcohol extremely well. Nuances of the oak, has just a tinge of that chardonnay vanilla to it. Very unique, in a good way. Got more enjoyable throughout it, some dry hopping (or more) would be phenomenal in the oak barrels.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

New Beer Friday, Midwest Style!

Appearance - Pours into my sniffer with a relatively clear copper color. I obtain about a finger and a half of white head that dissipates slowly leaving moderate lacing.

Smell - A rush of bitter grapefruit, pine resin, hops, and a slight malt backbone. The more I smell the aroma the less bitter the grapefruit smell becomes and the more malty/passion fruit citrus aromas become present.

Taste - Somewhat a surprise from the nose. Malty up front with a definite hop kick right behind. Less citrus presence than I assumed there would be because of the nose. Despite there being some flavor, I'm not going to lie but i seriously get an almost "watery" characteristic to it. Seems the flavors separate about halfway through the sip and it becomes very bland.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light bodied. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability - I would say pretty drinkable but only because there is little body and not insane amounts of flavor that would make it suffer after a few beers (think bitter D/IPAs). Not bad, but not that "unique" to make me buy it again.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Body is a crystal clear yellow-orange with dense fluffy head and sticky lacing.

It's not very aromatic, but with hints of grapefruit and a touch of vanilla.

Taste is a lot of citrus hops and a little pine resin. The oak adds a mellowing vanilla and there is also a little sweetness.

Mouthfeel is crisp, fresh, and clean. Finish is slightly bitter and lingers.

Good dinkability. The first time I had this I was not very impressed, but after getting through a sixer I've gained more of an appreciation for the mellowing nuances of the oak. Most of Two Bros IPAs tend to be on the piney side, but this one strolls on the citrus side.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Thanks to beersis81 for this extra!

pours a cloudy amber gold with a frothy off-white head. smell is of hops, grapefruit, orange, caramel and brown sugar sweetness, but not very strong. So far an average ipa.

Not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting, but it still has a bitter sweet bite in the end and finish. too sweet all the way through though, especially with the sugary apple flavor. some of the oak aging is there, but I think it has dulled down the flavors a bit instead of adding to them. not a bad beer, not a good ipa.

Mouthfeel is easily the best part of this one. Thick, nectar like, and the carbonation is well-done. Drinkability would be better if it tasted better, or if I was in the sun on a hot day, but right now, another part of the beer that is just average.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance -- bright amber with two fingers of rocky beige head. Sticky lacing.

Smell -- grapefruit rind, pine sap, bread, caramel sweetness.

Taste -- Big hop bittering up front with big citrus notes and more than a little resin. Caramel malt rounds out the end, with lingering grapefruit rind. Dry, resinous finish with a little bit of cut lumber from the oak foundres.

Mouthfeel -- Medium body, moderate carbonation. Nice.

Drinkability -- After trying their reguar IPA, Bitter End, I wasn't expecting much, but this one really impressed me. great hop flavor. If you've ever been disappointed by a Two Brothers beer, do yourself a favor and pick this one up. It'll surprise you.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a clear orange copper, minimal lacing.

Smells of biscuit malt and hops. Very understated, not in your face.

First taste is bready. Hops on the back end. Very well balanced. Relatively thin mouthfeel, with more malts then hops. Not your typical American IPA.

Very drinkable for 6.9% Tastes more of an amber ale with hops than an IPA. A solid brew, but not my fav from Two Bros.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

The Color was a nice clean amber with a thick and sticky tan head, good lacing.

The smell was spicy, almost lemon peppery, with some nice citrus hop notes.

The taste was very classic of an American Style IPA, a nice toasted malt body, very bready, with a big fresh Citrus Hop Finish.

The mouthfeel was very crisp and carbonated with a long dry finish.

Nice and drinkable, I didn't really notice anything special coming from the french oak other than maybe the extra dry mouthfeel.
Good None the Less.