Resistance IPA | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This IPA is aged in oak foudres for 3 months. Dry hops are added the day after the foudre is filled.

Added by homebrew311 on 03-18-2010

Liked:
3.86/5
Alströms:

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks great off the pour. Nice balance on the profile with a significant malt base. This is subtle, to a degree, and almost English in its interpretation. Doesn't get overly boisterous with the hops, but uses them appropriately. Aging has probably smoothed this out in a nice way. I am only guessing about that l, honestly, since it's a process I am not intimately familiar with. Nice one.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a dark golden, almost orange. HUGE frothy head that stays until the last sip. Lacing aplenty.

S- Smells sweet, fruity.

T- Hops are more muted than I remember this when I had it fresh. Some grapefruit, hints of the oak aging.

M- Plenty of carbonation. Smooth.

D/O- This (and the appearance) is probably this beers strongest point for me. For the high ABV (for the style), this sure could drink well beyond one or two. Saw the French oak foudres on the Two Brothers tour I took back in February...and well liking what they did with them. If this is truly a limited release I can't believe it's still on the shelves 6 months later.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer pours a light bodied clear and height gold in color with a soapy lacing around my glass. It smells very crisp and clean. The nose I would guess is centennial or cascade hut I could be wrong. The malt bill is light and clean. The flavors too are fresh and light. I'm sticking with my hop varietal prediction. The hop profile is perfect for the body. It's subtly sweet and bitterness is mild. I can't stress enough how clean this beer is. It's perfectly drinkable. Overall this is a really nice IPA and overly sessionable. Try it if its fresh.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

I was curious about this beer so I put it on my wants list and mrcalrizian sent me a few, thanks. I am not generally a fan of wood aged IPAs but there seems to be a lot of them these days. Here goes everything.

Beer is amber, mostly clear, white head, some lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is thin, sweet with a mild oakiness and some sulfury and earth hops.

Beer is medium to light in body, mildly bitter with a relatively dry finish. Bitterness is medium, the oakiness of this beer feels clunky and really detracts from the IPAness of the whole thing. It is fine. I'll drink the others I have but after that I think I'm done with this beer.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

While I was certainly intrigued by the aging (a foudre is a big oak cask if anyone is wondering), I was a little disappointed by how this beer turned out. There's clearly a fine, rich citrusy IPA that can hold it's own. But there's an added tart, lightly puckering feel from the oak that I though detracted from the beer. I expected something a little smoother (maybe incorrectly) and found a sharp IPA that didn't sit well.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Best before date of 4/15/10
Poured in to Duvel tulip

A - Dark yellow with a slight amber tinge and half a finger of bubbly off-white head.

S - Bitterness up front with pine, grapefruit and orange peel. A sweet caramel malt backbone rounds it out. No real discernible oak barrel notes.

T - Bitter piney hops with some faint citrus notes coming through as well. Sweet caramel malt backbone. Some light flavours of oak are evident in the background but may be unnoticeable if I wasn't looking for them.

M - Medium body, light to moderate carbonation.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours nice golden with a thin swirly head. Smells somewhat grainy with a nice hit of sweet, citrusy hops. The taste is similar, with a bit of grain followed by a big but short hop profile that is leafy, piney, and a bit citrusy, but the hops fall off and it becomes grainy again toward the end. Fairly spicy in the mouth, and a bit thick, but pretty pleasant. Overall, a pretty nice beer.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

Two Brothers Resistance

12oz bottle. Pours a clear copper color. Aroma of pine and citrus. In the flavor, pine, grapefruit, and a touch of wood which is from the french oak. Mostly bitter, citrus rind with a mild malt sweetness to balance. Medium to light bodied feel. Overall, a nice ipa, smooth and easy drinking.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am drinking this one month past its best by date from a 19 oz Spiegelau IPA glass. L: A brilliant gold pour supports a 3” foam collar that slowly reduces to a thick film and leaves excellent lace. S: Faint malt honey and grainy aromas rise from the glass with a hint of oak. T: Grainy malt palate, honey, light fruit, citrus, faint traces of vanilla, with a long, mild hop finish. F: Creamy, medium carbonation and medium body. O: I probably would have more hop aroma with a fresher beer but the flavors of this one were spot on.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Small head to the beer. A nice yellowish hue and a tiny white head.

Smells of grassiness, citrus, pine, and oak.

I gotta say right off I don't like A/IPA's normally because of the aftertaste, so this one changes everything for me. It has all the full flavor of an IPA the pine and citrus, but the finish is a nice sweetnees from the oak aging. It doesn't have the usual grapefruit/bitter aftertaste.

A nice smoothness to the beer and a nice clean crisp finish.

I could have a few more of these on a regular day, and if it was a warmer day I could drink this all day. I want another one right now, which is unbelievable cause it is an IPA.

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

I love this color, its that glowing orange and yellow vibe, carbonation is dialed in. Aroma definitely kicks some oak and dry hopping, very nice.

Taste started to make me wonder about the yeast used. Was I just getting some french oak and confusing it with belgian yeast? Was it a belgian yeast, american hops, french oak blend of worlds? Had substantial bitterness, the oak brought some white wine feels and vanilla. It dried out the mouthfeel for sure.

This is a very good beer, surprised more people don't like it.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%

(Served in a dimple mug)
A- This beer pours a clear golden copper body with a gentle carbonation of bubbles. A rigorous pour produces a thin film of white head that is soon a ring.
S- The aroma of hops have a green herbal aroma to them with a slight sweetness of malt supporting them.
T- this beer has a green hop flavor that gives way to a stinging hop bitterness that stains the tongue and lingers after each sip. There is a honey malt flavor that is nice with a slight buttery quality to it but that is soon covered up by the bitterness as the beer opens up. M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer has a hop flavor that is all bitterness and that covers up all the other flavors. I love hops flavor but there is very little depth to the hops and the aroma and flavor of hops and malt are buried.

3.47/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pale golden Yellow body with a white head. Sticky lacing cling to side of glass.

Smell: Citrusy hops and pineapple.

Taste: Orange, pineapple, and grapefruit imparting a mild bitterness. Very slight hint of oak. Nice biscuit malty backbone.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied beer. Moderate carbonation. This is very drinkable and crisp.

Overall: Nice solid IPA, simple and tasty. Alot more malty than i expected, but still balanced.

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

Having loved Burton Baton I have high hopes for this one. If anything it will drink like an oak aged pale

A - A nice clear amber with orange hues head was a nice two inches but turns to a sudsy ring with sticking lace throughout.

S - Hops are there but kind of faint which is understandable with oak aging. I do get subtitle notes of french oak which smell like a newly cut pool deck and notes of vanilla.

T - Wow all I can say is balanced. You start with a bit of sweet orange and lemon hops which turn to a sweetness of the barrel and touches of vanilla and finishes kind of grain like with notes of lemon hops which linger on the tongue for a good 10 seconds.

M - Surprising for the abv the body is light to medium. Hoppy but balanced

Overall I kid you not I enjoyed this more than the Kane and Ebel offering which was kind of eh. If I could find this in PA it would be my favorite session ale but I would need to travel to Ohio to get some more. With a 1.99 price tag its totally worth the 12 dollar sixer (might want to find a case) Subtle, hoppy, and with a nice sweetness this beer is a winner.

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%

Super clear copper color with nice bubling compared to most IPA's I've had. The head could use some tooling up though.

Toasted biscuits and Wonderbread, citric and piney hops, plus the faint nuance of oak and a ittle vanilla in the aroma. This is a very smooth smelling beer. Very nice!

Light oily txture combined with sweet oak and biscuits upfront. The middle has some earthen covered citrus fruit peels mixing with said biscuits, but less oak and vanilla flavors. The finish is a slow resin of bitter citrus peels, faintly sweetend by tasted caramel malts and oay vanila.

This isa great Ipa worth trying while its still available. Not a hop heads bitterness bomb, but a complex and balanced version of the style.

Resistance IPA from Two Brothers Brewing Company