Port Wine Barrel-Aged Bare Tree Weiss Wine Vintage 2009 | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrosbrew.com

Style: Wheatwine

Added by hoppymcgee on 07-28-2010

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4
3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

6L bottle shared by Todd at DLD 2012...holy crap!

A - Pours a golden yellow color, cream-colored head, thick cap.

S - Pretty port-forward (thank you, Lord) with some wheatwine notes that follow. Fruity port, oak, some burnt sugars. Mostly port and oak though, and I like that.

T - More port and oak followed by the base beer. They've successfully hidden beer that I hate and masked it with awesome port and oak notes, good job Two Bros! Alcohol is well-hidden and impressive for 11.5%. Finish is sweet dark fruits and oak.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, sweet fruity finish.

O - Welp, I never thought I'd enjoy this beer in any form, but I was pleasantly surprised! Really cool 6L bottle too...badass stuff walking around with that monster at DLD. I would have this one again for sure...port does a beer some good!

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

6L bottle generously shared by Todd. Served in a Great Taste of the Midwest taster tulip.

A - Generous foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, but not lace. Lightly hazed golden body. Quite impressive for the listed ABV, although it was a challenge to pour this monster.

S - Lots of vinous port, spicy oak, and a hint of dill. The base beer seems to have have been overwhelmed by the barrels, but in my opinion that's actually a good thing. There's some nebulous fruity malts, but mostly it's tangy French oak. Pretty nice though!

T - Again it's super oaky, but with some fruity wheatwine flavors appearing mid-palate before yielding to a dry wood and dill finish. There's a mildly lactic flavor and I'm curious if the tropical fruits I'm getting are a nascent infection.

M - Medium body, super tannic, with pleasant moderate carbonation, and no apparent alcohol heat. A tad thin for the listed ABV, but otherwise solid.

D - These Port barrels must be magic, as this is the first Bare Tree I've had that didn't make me want to kill puppies. The price per unit is actually pretty decent ($25/750ml), but I don't think I'd purchase one of these Methuselahs for personal consumption. Still, the couple glasses that I had were quite nice. Hopefully they make this again in a sensible format, or keg some.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

Had on tap at Blind Tiger in NYC at a Two Brothers event on 7/28/10. Served in a 14oz. tulip glass.

A: Hazy dark gold color with not much of a head.

S: The nose is amazing. Tart raspberries, blueberries, and peach cobbler. I don't know how this happened but I guess the port barrels worked some kind of magic.

T: The flavor profile isn't too far behind the aroma. Initial notes of apple followed by an oaky essence. The finish is a touch of tart grape. The port barrel is just what this beer needed.

M: Nicely carbonated, but a bit dry. Wine lovers might appreciate this.

D: I really cannot even tell I'm drinking an 11.5% beer. Good when it's cold, better when it warms up a bit.

What a treat! Thanks Alan!

Port Wine Barrel-Aged Bare Tree Weiss Wine Vintage 2009 from Two Brothers Brewing Company