Askew | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Ale brewed with Saccharomyces cerevisae and Brettanomyces. Transferred to oak foudre after initial fermentation. Foudre has previously gone through a spontaneous fermentation.

Added by ChugginOil on 05-16-2011

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for giving me this one a semi-recent MASSIVE in-person trade when he came down to visit! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy golden orange with a one finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, vinegar, dark fruit, and wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, tart cherry, wood, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. When I smelled the vinegar in the nose I was a little concerned at how this one was going to turn out. However, it was not present in the flavor which was nice. What I did find in the flavor was a very nicely balanced sweetness and tartness that made this one very easy to drink and quite enjoyable. My first brew from this brewery that I know of, and I hope it won't be my last. A very solid brew here.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to spycow for sharing this one. Getting local beers around here is getting more and more annoying.

A - Golden-orange beer that has a bit of a haze. Finger of white foam that left some random spots and lace on the glass.

S - Lots of acetobacter on the nose with this one. Pretty sharp, almost hurt the nose a bit but it smells nice with some grapes.

T - A very nice tartness here. It's quite sharp, with a touch of fruity sweetness. I'm surprised at how good this is, it's a very solid tasting American Wild Ale. Bit of wood.

M - Medium bodied, lower carbonation, very dry and tannic.

O - Very nice beer, it's a good example of the style and I enjoyed drinking it. Unfortunately can't find any anywhere, so odds of me getting more are slim.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle shared by Chris (spycow). I skipped this one after being burned by too many mediocre Two Brothers offerings, and by the time I saw the positive reviews it was too late. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

A - A finger of white foam settles to a thick collar showing solid retention, some wisps and negligible lace. Transparent dark golden body.

S - Huge grape and red wine vinegar flavors mingle with massive acetobacter, and a touch of light oak. As the beer warms up there's a light plastic note, but on the whole this is pretty good, if not nostril-singing.

T - Again, very grape-heavy with vinous oak, dry oak, and some light funk in the finish. There's a vague popcorn note that I get from some of the Santa Fe wild ales, but it's not as intense as those. Not as impressive as the aroma unfortunately.

M - Medium bodied, moderate-to-low carbonation level, and an extremely dry and tannic texture. No obvious alcohol, but I wasn't really expecting any.

D - This was pretty decent, albeit too pricey at $10 for a 375ml bottle. Still it's another step in the right direction for Two Brothers' sour program - I think I liked Hoodwinked a little better but this was enjoyable as well.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

poured from a bottle into a snifter. Pours a light golden color with a 1" head

Very funky and complex with aromas of bruised apples, pears, funky aromas and some spice with a bit of tart citrus aromas as well

really good feel and medium bodied with a good amount of sour apple and funk flavors

this was a lot more funky than I remembered it to be. if I didn't see this, I'd actually thought it was a flemish red. This is a real quality sour and another real great job from two brothers

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Light peach, mildly clear, and bulbous. There is good carbonation flowing and a line of white head.
Great sour smell of salt, earth, honey notes, and aged cheese rind.
Smooth and creamy with less bite than the smell. Quite good saltiness, sour honey hints with the sour candied lemon peel.
This has a solid tang and zest with excellent flavor that is not mouth puckering and not too creamy. Askew shows a nice body and is really quality work on the wild/sours style.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

I was able to have this on draft during craft beer week in chicago. I have since had it several times from a bottle poured into a tulip glass.

The fact that it took three years to brew this opus shows the amount of craftsmanship the brothers put into their beers. Much respect.

This beer is one of the best sours I have ever had. Pours a golden haze. Very little head.

The aroma is vinegar/sour with hints of funk and vanilla. Very subtle notes of white grape.

High level of astringency. Very sour. Not much carbonation. The vanilla and grape come through nicely. There is alot going on with this beer. It really plays on the tongue. My palate grabs something different each time I drink this. I find it very enjoyable. I love this brewery.

Askew from Two Brothers Brewing Company