Old 1713 | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Added by emerge077 on 07-15-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

3.5/5  rDev -3%

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a NB snifter.

A - Pours a light copper color with full carbonation that produces a two-finger head of rich, ecru foam that slowly collapses, leaving full rings of lace on the side and pillows on the surface. The beer is a rosewood and low sunset color, and clear.

S - Well-toasted caramel malts and brown sugar jump into the nose. Hints of white pepper and cinnamon spice along with dusky floral hops follow and demand notice.

T - Dark, dry floral, almost resin hops define the taste, with the toasted, slightly burnt caramel and butterscotch malts supporting them in the background. This is a NW US version of the style - hop-forward and favoring bitter. Slightly boozy on the finish, but the alcohol - almost 8% - is well-hidden.

M - Fizzy, almost foamy fills the mouth. Full carbonation, just as the pour suggested. Lighter body than expected. Hops really clean off the palette for the finish, and it's their bitterness that lingers on the tongue with just a touch of dark caramel. Well-blended, solid structure.

O - The quality of the components is readily apparent. It's definitely an American take rather than a traditional one on the style, with the hops taking the lead and the malts in the supporting role. I want to like this beer more than I do because it's very well-made, but I much prefer my Scotch ales being malt-forward. Still, definitely worth tasting, and would make an excellent gift for someone who likes his hops.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark reddish brown with a finger's worth of frothy head that hangs around for awhile. Small amount of lacing is noticeable around the edges of the glass.

S- Aroma is mostly of bready malts and a hint of caramel.

T- Caramel malts overpower all initially, then leads way to a slight hop kick. Alcohol is there but not overly apparent.

M- Malty, bready, medium bodied with nice carbonation. Pretty drinkable for a scotch ale.

I don't get my hands on Scotch ales much so I cant really compare to others, but this is a nice beer from one of my local breweries. I would seek it out if you're into Scotches.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%

I've never been to Scotland. I really haven't had that many Scotish brewed strong ales. The ones I have had were okay, but I suspect time was not on their side. I have however had a good handful of North American brewed versions of strong Scottish ale, and I wonder if this beer misses the mark a bit or if other N. American. versions miss the mark. See, this beer actually has some hops. I'm not talking IPA level hops here, but it certainly has more of them than I've come expect from the style. Generally, I don't like strong Scottish ales. They seem sweet, overly malty and frankly, unpalatable. Seriously, are true Scottish ales essentially low hopped malt bombs? Anyway, this one brings the balance back towards the middle of the balance spectrum. Doggy biscuit, honey and caramel dominate the nose. It's nice and what I expected. Starts sweet, with caramel and light milk chocolate flavours. But wait, there are some hops there. Woody, garden herb and earth (like dirt, but in a forest after an Autumn rain way). Subtle mind you, but that's what I'm getting. Bitterness as well. It's almost drying, but caramel sweetness stills finishes the sip with a touch of chalky bakers chocolate. It's really nice actually. While this beer brings the balance a bit better than most of the others I've had that fall into this style, it's still something of a desert beer. Yeah, try it. It's well made and tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%